Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Fair" treatment for "experienced" pilots comes home to roost?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I now only wear my GWRRA pin. So that's the way it is!

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

You would have a lot more personal and professional credibility if you had come back as an FO like you said you were going to. Would have helped your cause greatly as well. Especially if a large number of you guys came back. By not coming back you've made it clear it was only about the seniority.

I have a battle star also. OK, you are not a scab officially but greedy none the less. You, and your cohorts that lived the high life and benefited from the upward movement due to retirements somehow fine it unfair when it was your turn to move on. Again, I would have a lot more respect for you guys if you would donate a portion of your income(if allowed back) to the guys past 65 along with any retirement monies accepted from the company returned in full plus interest, and also some form of lump sum to be determined to a fund for pilots past 65 or their dependants due to your premature upgrades throughout your careers at their expense. If you agree with all the above you will prove you have character and this is not about your poor planning or greed.

quote=UndauntedFlyer;1593761]This board always suggests than anyone who says anything negative relating to ALPA or the old age 60 rule is some kind of scab. And furthermore, it usually comes from someone who has never proven their loyalty. They are just bystanders who suggest that others are scabs. Is that you?

I think this will answer your question.

I threw my ALPA "Battle star" pin in the toilet along with my ALPA "Retirement" pin. It made me feel good.

And just for the record, I also threw my Company "Retirement" pin in the toilet too. That made me feel good too.

I now only wear my GWRRA pin. So that's the way it is!

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"[/quote]

Does anyone know what would happen if the age 65 law was struck down? Would the guys who got to stay on after 60 be allowed to remain with an exemption until a new law is crafted? I am not a lawyer but I don't understand how you can sue ALPA or APA if congress was the body that agreed upon and passed the legislation that is currently in effect. I imagine they understood the ramifications and hardships that would be be incurred upon the airlines and pilots if guys who had been out of flying for however many years were allowed to return to their old seniority positions. Just curious.

As our career destruction checklist is nearly complete any enthsiasm I once held for debating this pathetic and even more pathetically named law has been sucked away. The Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilot Act huh? Ayn Rand would be proud. However, what a-holes keep funding this lobby/legal effort??

Does anyone know what would happen if the age 65 law was struck down? Would the guys who got to stay on after 60 be allowed to remain with an exemption until a new law is crafted?

If and when this thing ever sees the light of day, the "envrionment", as compared when 65 passed will be drastically altered.

1. Many, or most carriers will have pilots on furlough, and we'll be in the midst of recession. No claims of a "pilot shortage".

2. The prospect of pilots dropping BACK onto the list from above will mobilize even the largest couch potato.

3. The airlines have experienced the wildly unpredictable manning issues caused by age 65 (old guys seem to get sick more and/or burn off more sick leave). Some airlines have found it necessarily to increase staffing on senior equipment for this very reason, which is NOT welcome in the current fiscal envrionment.

Assuming the rule that changed the age 60 reg drops dead, the rule will revert BACK to what it was: IE age 60. The FAA was in the process of a NPRM, but that process would have to be restarted.

In the meantime, you will see a repeat of what happened in the 60s. Junior guys will see a jackpot of retirements, and will do everything in their power to drag or simply kill any new legislation. By the time it sees the light of day, all the old guys will be past 65.

Nu

As our career destruction checklist is nearly complete any enthsiasm I once held for debating this pathetic and even more pathetically named law has been sucked away. The Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilot Act huh? Ayn Rand would be proud. However, what a-holes keep funding this lobby/legal effort??

Actually, I hope that greedy 60+ morons who felt left out by the law change and are thus filing lawsuits against everyone (alpa, apa, faa, etc.); end up 'screwing' everyone over age 60, by resulting in the entire law being 'overturned' in court. Then the existing law, prior to the recent 'law' change, would be in effect, 'age 60 mandatory retirement'

Would be 'ironic' would it??

And, of course, 'age 60' when to the highest court in the land, the Supreme Court, and was not found to be 'age discrimination'

As I still believe that the only was that any lawsuit can be successful, would be to challenge the recently passed 'age 65 law' The 'greed' of some over 60, ending up 'screwing' everyone over 60, and returning it back to the original law. Again, would be 'ironic' to say the least.

For what its worth.

PD

I have a battle star also. OK, you are not a scab officially but greedy none the less. You, and your cohorts that lived the high life and benefited from the upward movement due to retirements somehow find it unfair when it was your turn to move on.
So I guess you are going to just retire at 60? No, the truth is you will want work beyond age 60 because there is just no reason to retire unless you must. So while you call me greedy when I, in fact, retired at age 60, it is you who will prove to be greedy. And how about the current pilots who are flying past age 60, are they greedy too, and "unofficial scabs" as you suggest? They are just trying to earn a living when the “Union” caved in and gave away their retirements.

I, and many others, would have liked to have had the opportunity to work past age 60, and that should have been our right and choice, not a decision made by others. You and your group wanted your senior colleagues out (fired) just so you could move up. That is what is sick about this and the so called "Union." What “Union” in the world tries to get one section of their membership fired so another can move up? None but ALPA and APA.

ALPA will die soon. Look at all the money they are losing. ALPA has just lost the money from US Air, Aloha and Frontier. 50 years ago they lost American as well as others along the way. Soon there will be more airlines who switch representation or just go out of business. When UAL goes that will be it for sure.

I do hope UAL lasts so you can be “greedy” too and keep working to support your family. I'm sure you want this too, right? And will that make you an unofficial scab too? Is name-calling for a person who chooses to work to support your his or her family really the right thing to do? When you keep working past age 60 I don't really plan to call you anything but a good taxpaying American citizen. What else should we call such a person: A greedy unofficial scab? I don't think so unless you really have a selfish agenda yourself. Is that it? That's what it looks like to me and many others too.

Last edited:
One of the stranger quotes I've ever read on FI--and that is saying something. Do you have clairvoyance? Otherwise, any post starting with the words, "personally, I think..." is destined to be ignored.

Is it not close to failing?

No one outside of CAL could possibly comment on this--too much inside dirty pool that only CAL guys could know about--so I won't comment.

Fact: Cal instructors, who were not required flight deck crew member, came back to the line. It was in perfect contrast to the rule. That's easy enough to understand you shouldn't need a reference.

"It is believed?" "Pressure that came indirectly?" By whom? Where is your evidence? These are some rather generic claims--but that is the beauty of them--without citing ANY specifics, you can say things like "it is believed" and mention "indirect pressure" (whatever that means) to disparage Prater when it is unwarranted--and you don't have to prove anything. "It is believed" by many that the moon landing was a fake and 9/11 was a conspiracy by the Jews/US government/take your pick. But where is the evidence?

Seems to me that he is a (rather loud) voice of reason. I don't think he is "behind" at all.

Discussion of the legal steps CAL ALPA took to oveturn/confirm the FAA interpretaion are on our website. It's out there, I'm not going to link it to you. I was individually briefed by a senior CAL ALPA official that we could not sue over the interpretation. FAA was not going to budge and ALPA National was in bed with them on it. John Prater would not even defend the rule he wrote at the airline where he works.

I would have liked to have had the opportunity to work past age 60, and that should have been my right and my choice, not a decision made by others.

No, you should have moved on gracefully, like the others that went before you. You knew what the rules of the game were before you started playing, and you lived with them fine as long as they benefited you. But when your turn came you decided that the rules weren't fair.

Latest resources

Back