Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Fair" treatment for "experienced" pilots comes home to roost?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Be careful what you wish for. Stricter medical standards would probably weed out some over 60 pilots. Unfortunately it would get rid of a heck of a lot of pilots under 60!! I'm amazed at the number of pilots I see (and some I know personally) in their 30's 40's and 50's, who are overweight anywhere from a few pounds to God knows how much. I don't think they have heard of exercise, eat healthy, no smoking, cut down on the coffee etc. Don't believe me? Just look around.

I'd be willing to bet that if the US went to the same medical standards that IACO has 30-40% of pilots over 40 would lose their medicals. And It WILL happen, it's just a matter of when. As soon as the 65 thing passed it was a guarantee that the medical standards would get tougher at some point.

Solution: Let them all come back...to the bottom of the list.

They can do that now. Under the law, they are not precluded from returning to their airlines, only from sueing for their seniority.

They can all come back as new hire F/Os.

They should just be happy for their experienced brothers who made the 17th cutoff, congratulate them, stfu, and call it a day. But noooooo.....

If I were king for a day I'd just change it back to 60. Look, you children can't behave, so we're turning this car back around right NOW.

Seriously, though, just let em sue. Fight it out in the courts, its the American way.

Last edited:
Justice in this case will come forward in the courts. No one can argue against justice if it is righteous and true. If anyone’s actions, ALPA, FAA, APA, ATA or individual airlines were acting against the law or the Constitution, then those affected by such actions should be made whole. In the case of the age 60 law, after 11/23/06, the FAA did not grant equal protection under the law when it allowed some Americans (those flying for a foreign airline) to fly in this country when others in this country could not. While the FAA failed and may have to pay, ALPA/APA did everything they could to help perpetuate this injustice. What will happen is up to the Federal Courts

Can anyone argue against justice? Basically, wrongdoers should pay and those wronged should be righted. Does anyone have a problem with this?

After 12/13/07 the injustice of the law became worse and a greater target. Yes, it did allow many to keep flying, but it prevented those born before that date from working for no reason except their birthday.

Justice will come, it will either strike down the age 65 law altogether or it will sustain the change and award compensation to those wronged. Personally, I think most would just as soon take the cash and run. It's mostly all about money! Not all, but mostly.

So if ALPA, APA, and the DOT/FAA have to pay for their wrongdoing, why shouldn't they? They all knew what they were doing was wrong at the time and were warned over and over of the lawsuits that would follow after 11/23/06 if the age 60 law was not changed for all American as well as foreign crews.

There are about 3,000 pilots affected who will be expecting about $1,000,000 each. Would that be difficult for ALPA and APA to pay? If so, it's just as this thread implies, "The Chickens are Coming Home to Roost."

Last edited:
They can do that now. Under the law, they are not precluded from returning to their airlines, only from sueing for their seniority.

They can all come back as new hire F/Os.

Too bad no one is hiring.... Just think, if we had some retirements coming up, we might have some hiring this year.... but whoops... :)

Justice in this case will come forward in the courts. No one can argue against justice if it is righteous and true. If anyone’s actions, ALPA, FAA, APA, ATA or individual airlines were acting against the law or the Constitution, then those affected by such actions should be made whole. In the case of the age 60 law, after 11/23/06, the FAA did not grant equal protection under the law when it allowed some Americans (those flying for a foreign airline) to fly in this country when others in this country could not. While the FAA failed and may have to pay, ALPA/APA did everything they could to help perpetuate this injustice. What will happen is up to the Federal Courts

Can anyone argue against justice? Basically, wrongdoers should pay and those wronged should be righted. Does anyone have a problem with this?

After 12/13/07 the injustice of the law became worse and a greater target. Yes, it did allow many to keep flying, but it prevented those born before that date from working for no reason except their birthday.

Justice will come, it will either strike down the age 65 law altogether or it will sustain the change and award compensation to those wronged. Personally, I think most would just as soon take the cash and run. It's mostly all about money! Not all, but mostly.

So if ALPA, APA, and the DOT/FAA have to pay for their wrongdoing, why shouldn't they? They all knew what they were doing was wrong at the time and were warned over and over of the lawsuits that would follow after 11/23/06 if the age 60 law was not changed for all American as well as foreign crews.

There are about 3,000 pilots affected who will be expecting about $1,000,000 each. Would that be difficult for ALPA and APA to pay? If so, it's just as this thread implies, "The Chickens are Coming Home to Roost."

Your take on reality....is amazing...

making ALPA, the APA, ATA or whoever liable for a law that congress passed..... is..... amazing....

Where do you people come from?

There are 3000 pilots effected? 300 million people in this country?

So this country is going to take time for .0001% of us....

“It is often easier to become outraged by injustice half a world away than by oppression and discrimination half a block from home.”

Carl T Rowan

Let's do the right and bring these guys back. We can show as a group, we are United against discrimination and will not tolerate it now nor will we accept its evil past.

Other's should be taking notes, the man has a point.

I agree with you worthless SCAB and all of the other baby boomer douchbags that have benefited from the guys before you retiring at 60. You all get to come back with seniority, however your pay, retirement you have already received, and earnings adjusted using a lookback at your career advancement due to pilots having to retire at 60 that are past 65 and can't come back is recouped for those pilots via your current paycheck and a lump some to buy back in. If you won't agree to that it just proves what a bunch of greedy SCUMBAG SCABS you are. So, go ahead and sue alpa. We, the active pilots will disband alpa so quick you senile greedy old losers won't have anyone to sue.

The lawsuits will go nowhere. Here's my take on it; in order for those pilots to have a 'cause of action' they would have to 'state and prove' that the law as enacted is 'discriminatory' on the basis of age, and did not provide for 'equal treatment' under the law. If they are successful in doing so, and a Federal Judge finds as such; the Judge would have No choice but to 'strike down' the Law. In such a case, it would be as though the Law was never enacted, and the previous law (age 60) would prevail. Thus, the day after the Judge's decision, everyone over the age of 60 would Not be legally allowed to fly. Then the advocates of age 65 would have to get the congress to enact a new, with a 'New' congress and probably even more opposition.

That's my take. Maybe Occam can chime in on this, as he always seems to have a very logical and reasoned outlook. Tell me where my logic has gone wrong??

For what its worth.

PD

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back