• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Set to Raise Retirement Age

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bottom line it's been 60years old since every pilot on this board came into flying. DON'T like it my advice is RETIRE! Thank you. Nothing like not planning and being greedy. Stinks like old socks.

You could say the same thing about the pro-change crowd. It really isn't about discrimination, just argue honestly: it's all about money.
Of course it is! But if you discriminated against them for for race or religion, how would it be different? They are being denied a living by a scientificly unproven and arbitrary standard. If it was about safety, why not pull the entire medical at that age? How then can you justify legal part 125, 135 or 91 by over-60 pilots?

That is your opinion. I personally do not believe it is scientifically unproven or arbitrary so, in that case, it is not discrimination.
If you can show me a valid study showing degraded performance of a 65 y/o vs. 60 y/o, I'll stand corrected. Everything posted so far is just anecdotal.

If you can show me a valid study showing degraded performance of a 65 y/o vs. 60 y/o, I'll stand corrected. Everything posted so far is just anecdotal.

I got a fairly in-depth study from my Congressman (Randy Kuhl). I have to admit, I only briefly looked over it before my wife accidentally threw it out. I mostly looked at the graphs and they were all pretty convincing (they all trended up rapidly with age). I honestly can't remember the name of the study or who conducted it, but I'm sure Kuhl's office could provide that.

Call and ask your car insurance company for age vs. accident statistics. Sure driving isn't flying, but I'm sure that'll show degraded performance at 60 vs. 65.

Yep, it is all about money. Its about folks who used the Age 60 rule to advance their careers to a narrowbody or widebody, from the FE panel to the CA seat, and now are crying "age discrimination!!!!" when really they don't want to relinquish their seniority, vacation, and the top earning potential of their entire lives. If it was "love of the job" they'd become airport bums, flight instructors, work in a training center somewhere or go fly corp/frax/charter...but lets not kid ourselves here.

Its also about younger pilots (like myself) who see our movement to the left seat and/or the major airlines stagnated for 5 or more years whenever this comes to fruition. Its about being fair and maintaining the career expectations we all had knowing full well when we started in the airlines the mandatory retirement age was sixty.

If 121 pilots can fly until 65, then air traffic controllers should be able to work until at least 62. You should not have to be 35 years old to run for President. I shouldn't be able to be drafted at 18 but have to wait until 21 to buy a farkin' beer, and in the same vein I shouldn't be handed an M4 and sent into Kabul at 18 but can't buy a handgun until 21.

Its all age discrimination, age discrimination!!!

Why should we give up our seniority, vacation, our livelihood? Leave a career at the top to start at the bottom of a frac? A charter company? Leave it all behind based on a policy that has no basis. What kind of crack are you smoking? Some of us love our career and will do what it takes to keep it. You will have your chance, patience schoolboy. By the way, have you typed up your letter of resignation/retirement yet? Be sure to date it correctly. I'd hate to see you fly past 60, you incompetent safety hazard.

With regards to the examples of age discrimination listed above, starting working on changing them if you feel they are important to you. If not, live with them. We choose to change. Change is good.

Call and ask your car insurance company for age vs. accident statistics. Sure driving isn't flying, but I'm sure that'll show degraded performance at 60 vs. 65.

Yep, it is all about money. Its about folks who used the Age 60 rule to advance their careers to a narrowbody or widebody, from the FE panel to the CA seat, and now are crying "age discrimination!!!!" when really they don't want to relinquish their seniority, vacation, and the top earning potential of their entire lives. If it was "love of the job" they'd become airport bums, flight instructors, work in a training center somewhere or go fly corp/frax/charter...but lets not kid ourselves here.

Its also about younger pilots (like myself) who see our movement to the left seat and/or the major airlines stagnated for 5 or more years whenever this comes to fruition. Its about being fair and maintaining the career expectations we all had knowing full well when we started in the airlines the mandatory retirement age was sixty.

If 121 pilots can fly until 65, then air traffic controllers should be able to work until at least 62. You should not have to be 35 years old to run for President. I shouldn't be able to be drafted at 18 but have to wait until 21 to buy a farkin' beer, and in the same vein I shouldn't be handed an M4 and sent into Kabul at 18 but can't buy a handgun until 21.

Its all age discrimination, age discrimination!!!

[FONT=verdana,arial]In the next 20 years the number of elderly drivers (persons 70 & over) is predicted to triple in the United States. As age increases, older drivers generally become more conservative on the road. Many mature drivers modify their driving habits (for instance to avoid busy highways or night-time driving) to match their declining capabilities. However, statistics show that older drivers are more likely than younger ones to be involved in multi-vehicle crashes, particularly at intersections. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial]Research on age-related driving concerns has shown that at around the age of 65 drivers face an increased risk of being involved in a vehicle crash. After the age of 75, the risk of driver fatality increases sharply, because older drivers are more vulnerable to both crash-related injury and death. Three behavioral factors in particular may contribute to these statistics: poor judgement in making left-hand turns; drifting within the traffic lane; and decreased ability to change behavior in response to an unexpected or rapidly changing situation.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial]Concern about the increased number of older drivers and their potentially decreased driving abilities is growing, especially among younger drivers. Statistics, based on all people injured or killed in traffic crashes, indicate that older drivers are at a disproportionate risk for becoming involved in fatal crashes. A NHTSA study of 1995 FARS (Fatal Accident Reporting System) data reports that senior citizens accounted for:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial] 5% of all people injured in traffic crashes[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial]13% of all traffic fatalities[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial]13% of all vehicle occupant fatalities[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial]18% of all pedestrian fatalities[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial]In a 1997 NHTSA study, older people made up 9 percent of the population but accounted for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities and 17 percent of all pedestrian fatalities. NHTSA's "Traffic Safety Facts 1997: Older Population" (DOT HS 808 769) reports that:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial]In 1997, more than 24 million people in the United States were over 70 years of age.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial]Representing 9 percent of the population in 1997, the 70-and-older age group grew 2.1 times faster from 1987 to 1997 than the total population.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial]In 1986 older drivers were 7 percent of licensed drivers; in 1996 they were 19 percent of licensed drivers.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial]Of traffic fatalities involving older drivers, 82 percent happened in the daytime, 71 percent occurred on weekdays, and 75 percent involved a second vehicle.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial]When a crash involved an older driver and a younger driver, the older driver was 3 times as likely as the younger driver to be the one struck. Moreover, 28 percent of crash-involved older drivers were turning left when they were struck-- 7 times more often than younger drivers were struck while making left turns.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial]Older drivers involved in fatal crashes and fatally injured older pedestrians claimed the lowest proportion of intoxication--defined as a blood alcohol concentration of 0.10 grams per deciliter or higher.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial]While only 55 percent of adult vehicle occupants (ages 18 to 69) involved in fatal crashes were using restraints at the time of the crash, 70 percent of fatal- crash-involved older occupants were using restraints.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=verdana,arial]"On the basis of estimated annual travel, the fatality rate for drivers 85 and over is nine times as high as the rate for drivers 25 through 69 years old." [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial]Statistics show that in two-vehicle fatal crashes involving an older and a younger driver, it is 3.1 times as likely that the vehicle driven by the older person will be struck. In 27% of these two-vehicle fatal crashes the older driver was turning left. Drivers over 65, along with new teen-age drivers, have the highest accident rates per miles driven. Another NHTSA study found that on the basis of estimated annual travel, the fatality rate for drivers 85 and over is nine times as high as the rate for drivers 25 through 69 years old. [/FONT]​

Some of us love our career and will do what it takes to keep it.

So...are you campaigning for Age 60 to be abolished because you "love your career", or because you don't want to be forced out of another 5 years at your top earning potential?

Latest resources

Back