• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Set to Raise Retirement Age

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oddly enough, the only two outfits supporting the new rule are Southwest and JetBlue. Both have changed aviation in this country and both are the reason for a significant amount of problems. Now they are creating another one. JetBlue is the worst offender. They haven't done anything good for aviation or for pilots except helping out a few airways furloughs.

Fine, raise the age to 65 with 60 max in the left seat.

I'll sit in the lav as long as I get paid for it.

All the old guys want it raised, all the young guys don't. There's a surprise. What is funny is that in 30 years all the old guys will be dead, all the young guys are going to be old guys and will be arguing the other side.

How many of you let your 65 year old parents drive when you are in the car. Thats what I thought

My dad is 85. He just gave me a ride from the airport...

My father flew until he was almost eighty. He was not a professional pilot, but 1,000 times sharper than some of the FOs' I've flown with.
It's a sad statement pilots can't demonstrate humility and admit to themselves raising the age limit would provide limitless opportunity for all of us to learn and grow as professional aviators.

It has nothing to do with humility. It has to do with $$$. I agree that there are a lot of pilots out there that can do the job after age 60. However, the only reason this is an issue is because all of the old pilots have lost there pensions and did not save and prepare accordingly. It sucks that the pensions are gone, but now the older pilot group is messing with my money and I am not going to be happy about that. You can't tell me that if money wasn't an issue all of you older guys would want to do this for another five years. You are right when you say that the young guys will be old in 30 years but ill tell you what. I don't want to do this until im 65. I would rather be makeing a tee time than a show time at 64 years old.

I think what we should be arguing about is how the flight attendants should have a mandatory retirement age.

Oddly enough, the only two outfits supporting the new rule are Southwest and JetBlue. Both have changed aviation in this country and both are the reason for a significant amount of problems. Now they are creating another one. JetBlue is the worst offender. They haven't done anything good for aviation or for pilots except helping out a few airways furloughs.

I guess, if you work for a company getting their A$$ kicked by jetBlue and/or Southwest Airlines you might feel that way. Southwest has been great for my aviation career, checking & savings accounts too..

"Hi I'm from the FAA and I'm here to help." YA RIGHT. I don't want someone who is 64 or 65 driving a car with me in it let alone flying an aircraft. How many of you let your 65 year old parents drive when you are in the car. Thats what I thought

It's amusing to watch the anti-60+people here spinning this as if it were about safety.
Just argue honestly: it's about upgrades and seniority.

It's amusing to watch the anti-60+people here spinning this as if it were about safety.
Just argue honestly: it's about upgrades and seniority.

You could say the same thing about the pro-change crowd. It really isn't about discrimination, just argue honestly: it's all about money.

How many of these young guns will be sticking around after they turn 60. My guess, a lot. They will chime 'this is my chair, my seniority, my...., my....blah blah blah..and so on. If not, take a few minutes and fill out your letter of resignation and make it effective on your 60th birthday. Not doing it, I thought so. No one can forecast earnings, family situations, investment projections and personal issues that may arise in their lives, not even you $$$4nothin. As a professional pilot, this is our career and it should be up to us when retirement is due. Retirement shouldn't be left up to some corporate bozo, the same one who stole the retirements, wages and benefits of your fellow professionals and laughing all the way to the bank. Know why he is laughing, he knows there are guys just like you who will sell out their fellow pilots for personal gain. Let's kick them to the curb, not the other way around. Those starting today will have the opportunity to fly to 60+, face it, it will happen. This will just give YOU a few more years in the left seat. Greed looks like it is rearing its ugly head, young puke. Nice job!

Latest resources

Back