• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Revokes the two NWA Pilots licenses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, I suspect the last 30 minutes on the tape was strictly business. But yes, we'll know soon enough on what we have already been speculating.

First off, what these guys did was stooopid and unprofessional but the punishment does not fit the crime. This is a kneejerk reaction to save face for the FAA. Should they get a suspension, time off and a fine?? Absofreakinglutly. But revocation, no freaking way. Lets look at some recent
accidents/incidents over the last few years. AA in LIT, Capt is dead and the Fo survived. Is the FO still at AA and if so why no termination or revocation? How about the two guys in BDL? How about the SW Mdw boys, or Burbank, Lcc yahoo shooting his gun, the UAL FO and crew of 4 that could not handle an engine failure in SFO, and the numerous FDX accidents over the last few years. Are any of these pilots still employed? If so, then this punishment is too severe.

But in the rest of those incidents and/or accidents did the pilots purposely tried to mislead the Feds? The same arguments that we are having here I'm sure they had at the FAA. I'm sure the FAA feels like that the pilots tried to mislead them.

Probably not. Just poor judgement, just like these guys. Only difference is the others killed people, damaged aircraft and in the SFO case almost had the claim to the worst aviation accident on US soil(omitting 9/11). Not passing judgement as it could be me manana. I still think this was a rash judgement and hopefully after the appeal process will get a suspension, time off, and a large fine(which they deserve).

Any guess what the fallout for the rest of us is going to be? No personal electronics use on the flightdeck from the Before Start Checklist until after the Parking Checklist? Finally the requirement of flightdeck video monitoring put into a NPRM? Requirement for FAs to call the flightdeck every 30 minutes, which BTW will be true torture for the Airbus guys?

sheer genius

You'll have to excuse AA>> and the rest of the major airline boys that have been basking in all of their experienced glory post Colgan and Comair.
Seems a little luck has intervened to keep their mishaps non-lethal.
Yeah, after all the latest 2 incidents were so awfully deadly!
And yet Comair 5191 and Colgan 3407 (both accidents) affected how many innocent people because of inexperience?
Keep up the good work there chief. There's a reason numbnuts like you are in the food service business!

This incident should serve as an example to all the pilots: There is NO SECOND CHANCE when you don't accept responsibility for your mistakes. This isn't about safety or laptops or sleeping. This is about people who try to "shuck and jive" their way through a screw-up and think the FAA and their employer are too stupid to see through it.
They absolutely deserve to be banned from having passengers lives placed in their hands.

Sorry to pick on you cobra:
Probably not. Just poor judgment, just like these guys. Only difference is the others killed people, damaged aircraft and in the SFO case almost had the claim to the worst aviation accident on US soil(omitting 9/11). Not passing judgment as it could be me manana. I still think this was a rash judgment and hopefully after the appeal process will get a suspension, time off, and a large fine(which they deserve).

It wasn't poor judgment, it's willful disregard, the FAA has already agreed with that position.
The other mishaps you mention are just that, poor judgment, bad situation, training, etc, not willful disregard.
Are you saying tomorrow you could fly past your destination because you would willfully neglect your duties? Really?

Latest resources

Back