• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Revokes the two NWA Pilots licenses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, so there is obviously some speculation as to whether or not these guys were asleep. That was my thought as well but apparently they were out of radio contact for an hour and half? That's a long time - I could see getting caught off guard on a nap for 5 or 10 minutes or maybe 20 minutes, but an hour and a half? And both of them? That is some serious sleeping or laptopping, what ever was happening.

I've been turned into a bit of a cynic...I disagree that "honesty is the best policy" as some have mentioned here...I think "silence is golden" is the more appropriate thought process.

I for one believe that they were actually being honest when they said they were looking at their laptops the whole time. I believe this because if you were going to make up an excuse..."We were looking at our laptops" is the ABSOLUTE worst possible excuse you could possible think of and most pilots are smarter than that.

It would have been to there benefit to say "we were sleeping" compared to the mess they are in right now.

If you wanted to lie and get creative, you wouldn't say "we were on our laptops"...the thing to do when returing to the radio would be "center can you here me now"...we lost radios...we were flying to our final fix and then starting an approach at our ETA...when our radios suddenly came back...pull into the gate...then write it in the book." ...If you were going to lie anyway.

None of us would believe them...but it's not us they would have had to convince.

I think what happened is they did not realize the gravity of the situation they were in when they pulled up to the gate. They knew they were in trouble but I don't think they came anywhere close to invisioning the magnitude. They probably figured we'll just talk to these nice FBI guys...they'll like us...they won't want to do the paperwork...it'll just get brushed under the rug like so many other mistakes that happen on a daily basis. Worst case is we'll just file an ASAP and do a carpet dance in front of the chief pilot.

The part I am REAllY afraid of is the "solutions" that is going to come out of this. Are laptops and ipods going to become prohibited items on the fligth deck...even "off" and in your crew bag like alcohol is now?

Later,

PS - "the right to remain silent" extends to questioning conducted by any federal/state/local official. They only have to tell you your rights if you are being investigated as a criminal...and they only have to pay for your lawyer if you're broke and it's a criminal case...but you ALWAYS have the right to remain silent...even AFTER you have spoken with your attorney...even if you NEVER speak to an attorney...even if your attorney tells you you SHOULD speak. Only a judge can ORDER you to speak or face jail but then only if you are granted immunity by the government.

You are not required to assist in the governments investigation in any way shape or form so long as you do not hinder it in any way either.

Last edited:
Real Class A-hole!!!

Yeah, maybe somebody could fly into a hailstorm, or bail out some people on the runway while the plane burns up or even ship some oxygen generators again to take the heat off these guys too...

Save your anti-Delta BS for your cockpit pals......

Relax spaz, I meant it as a good thing for the Delta crew. This gives congress, the FAA and the media something else to chew on besides you guys.

It will not be difficult for the Feds to determine if they were on a computer or not. A quick inspection by an IT type will show useage times. That will determine if they lied to Feds about being on the computer and may cause the "they were asleep" crowd to be backed.

Either way I think they deserve to lose their 121 job. Since the beginning of training it has always been FLY THE AIRPLANE. They didn't.

I think they did sailor. And I suspect the investigation determined they lied about it, hence the revocation.

Even though the CVR only recorded the last 30 minutes and won't actually catch them napping, what do you think they talked about on the way back to the airport? I doubt they were completely silent. What they were caught saying about the incident may as well have incriminated them as to what really happened. I bet they talked about what their story would be.

Even though the CVR only recorded the last 30 minutes and won't actually catch them napping, what do you think they talked about on the way back to the airport? I doubt they were completely silent. What they were caught saying about the incident may as well have incriminated them as to what really happened. I bet they talked about what their story would be.
I don't think they would be stupid enough to talk about it knowing it is being recorded. Unless they figured it wasn't going to be as big of a deal as it turned out to be. Either way, the truth will come out eventually.

Latest resources

Back