• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Age 60 debate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The FAA is making controllers retire at age 56. I don't know where they got that age. IRS rules state you cannot make IRA withdrawls until age 59 1/2 without penalty. HHMMMMM

They actually had a shortage of controllers a few years age, so anyone could submit a waiver and extend til 61 without any questions.

There are 1000's and 1000's of flying flying commerically after age 60, Part 125, Part 135, Part 91, corp, and Frac's. There is data to show the age 60 has nonthing to do with performance.

Is that what she said?

A new rule would push my upgrade from 2009 to 2012 if applied today.
In this business, I 'd rather take the upgrade now and deal with the 300K in increased pay and compounded interests.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
There are 1000's and 1000's of flying flying commerically after age 60, Part 125, Part 135, Part 91, corp, and Frac's. There is data to show the age 60 has nonthing to do with performance.

Then make a career of being a Part 125, Part 135, Part 91, corp, or Frac pilot. Don't take advantage of the rule while it suits you, then demand a change when it is to your benefit. (general spear, not necessarily at you PY, unless it fits.) It's like watching George run over the kids and old ladies when the fire alarm goes off.

age 60 is a bogus rule...it's age discrimination.

but don't we want age discrimination? i don't want some 85 year old clown flying my family around.

so what do they change the rule to?

if they base it on social security/benefits it's still a bogus rule and still age discrimination...it just makes it more acceptable to the olf darts because they figure by then they'll be set. but that is an asinine reason to change the rule. change it to make sure those pilots who were born in 1946 are comfortable in their retirement...it should be based on safety.

are guys over 60 safe to fly? some of them...probably most of them (oh and by the way there are probably some 50-59 year olds who aren't that fit or safe...oh well). so if this rule is about safety it shouldn't be based on age...it should be on the ability of the pilot to fly and to make decisions and to hear and see and react well enough to fly...uh oh...sounds like we need to give pilots arduous physical exams that really measure how fit they are. be careful what you ask for guys. you might be kicked out of the industry when you're 48 because you can't pass the astronaut physical that we have in place instead of the age 60 rule. there's no easy answer but be careful what you ask for.

most the guys who want the rule changed are captains who want to make more money...hopefully they won't change the rule just to satisfy their greed.

we'll see...congress moves slow and is afraid to change something they could get blamed for later. it ain't happening any time soon.

Unless you’re a high ranking officer in the military, mandatory retirement is at age 60. The FBI's and Leo’s mandatory retirement age is 57, but may be extended for a couple years. Maybe the scope of this mandatory retirement age is a little deeper than if an airline pilot is fit to fly. This age requirement (discrimination) may need battled on a couple different fronts.

But the FBI agent age rule, the ATC controller age rule applies to everyone in that position. The age 60 rules only applies to a small group of the entire pilot population.

Its not age discrimintation. We all knew what the retirement age was when we decided to fly 121. Now some pilots-the minority-are crying fowl. Trying to change this rule to suite the minority is unjustified to the majority. When this rule was put to a vote a few months ago, the majority of the piltos were opposed to the change.

The General's comment is the stupidest he's made on this forum.
It is likely that the age 60 rule has not caused any pregnancies,
either, but tell me how it has helped to avoid any accidents.
Most accidents in commercial aviation happen to the tired or
inexperienced or those that graduated last in their class. Safety has never been enhanced in any measure by this stupid rule.

Latest resources

Back