• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Age 60 debate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Both the APA and ALPA say that the age 60 rule hasn't resulted in any medical accidents, and that changing that rule could lead to one. I agree.

Allied Pilots Association Expresses Support for Age 60 Rule
Tuesday July 19, 12:18 pm ET Union President Testifies Before U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Aviation

FORT WORTH, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 19, 2005--The Allied Pilots Association (APA), collective bargaining agent for the 13,000 pilots of American Airlines (NYSE:AMR - News), reiterated its support for maintaining mandatory retirement at age 60 for the nation's commercial pilots as Congress considers legislation that would raise the age.

"Throughout the entire 46-year history of the Federal Aviation Administration's Age 60 Rule, not one single airline accident has been attributed to the sudden or subtle effects of aging," said Captain Ralph Hunter, APA President. "By any measure, mandatory retirement at age 60 has proven successful."

Hunter testified today before the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Aviation, which convened a hearing on the topic of pilot retirement age. Other witnesses included Captain Duane Woerth, President of the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), which represents approximately 64,000 commercial pilots in the U.S. and Canada. ALPA also supports maintaining the Age 60 Rule.

"Why would we even want to consider taking a chance with public safety by experimenting with pilot retirement age? The risks of sudden or subtle incapacitation rise significantly beyond age 60," said Hunter.

While acknowledging that many Americans lead healthier lives than ever before into their sixties and beyond, Hunter pointed out that there is still no definitive way to determine which pilots would be safe to fly past age 60, despite tremendous advances in medical technology.

He also noted that many supporters of an increase in pilot retirement age are doing so for economic reasons.

"While I am certainly familiar with and sympathetic to the financial difficulties airline employees have experienced during the prolonged industry downturn, public safety must always come first.

"If we were to experiment with a higher retirement age, at some point we would find out how old is too old--and I don't think anyone wants to be on that particular flight," said Hunter.

Although some supporters of an increase in pilot retirement age cite the Age 60 Rule as discriminatory, the U.S. Court of Appeals ruled in 1997 that age is a "bona fide occupational qualification" for commercial pilots, acknowledging that the regulation is intended to help ensure public safety. The U.S. Supreme Court affirmed that ruling earlier this year. Other safety-sensitive occupations such as firefighters and air traffic controllers also have mandatory retirement ages.

Hunter noted that the FAA itself does not advocate changing the Age 60 Rule.

Founded in 1963, APA is headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas. There are currently 2,890 American Airlines pilots on furlough. The furloughs began shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks. Also, several hundred American Airlines pilots are on full-time military leave of absence serving in the armed forces. The union's Web site address is www.alliedpilots.org American Airlines is the nation's largest passenger carrier.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
If they don't want to change the rule then let us receive the benefits as if we had retired at 67, such as Social Security. If they don't want to change the rule let the pilots who's pensions are with the PGB receive the benefits as if they had not retired "early" under the PGB rules. I believe the benefits difference is about $15K to $18K per year.

I agree! I don't see how this inconsistancy in the fegeral retirement rules has been allowed to go on for this long. If only there were a large pilots' union, representing thousands and thousands of pilots....

An actual union would have fixed this gap long ago through legislation.

Age 60 rule needs to be changed. How old is that Renquist dude about 89? Talk about someone who otta quit!! He is too busy shopping for wheelchairs to even hear the case.

cactuspilot said:
Age 60 rule needs to be changed. How old is that Renquist dude about 89? Talk about someone who otta quit!! He is too busy shopping for wheelchairs to even hear the case.

Cactuspilot:

What should the rule be changed to?
What was the retirement age when you started to fly?

I think we all know the answer to the second question.

Dave B
NWA

dbrownie said:
Cactuspilot:

What should the rule be changed to?

Dave B
NWA

It should be changed to when we are eligible to receive our benefits! Not a day sooner.

Why was it made age 60 to begin with? No reasearch or studies done what so ever! Plus life expectancy has gone up 10 years since 1959. That should put it at around age 70 now.

I think most people would agree (not openly) that the age 60 rule should stay in place until they have upgraded to Captain at a major.

dbrownie said:
Cactuspilot:

Dave B
NWA

He probably started flying when women couldn't vote. Guess what? That's changed. I personally want the option, as long as I pass my physical, to keep my job. Heck, I am sure you could make a case that a 50 y.o. has better skills than a 59 y.o. Why then would we allow someone with dimished skills (relative to a 50 y.o.) in the cockpit?

How about moving the 60-64 Y.O.s to the right seat? Can't be more dangerous than a 1000 hour 22 y.o. RJ FO.

The FAA is making controllers retire at age 56. I don't know where they got that age. IRS rules state you cannot make IRA withdrawls until age 59 1/2 without penalty. HHMMMMM.

Latest resources

Back