• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAA Age 60 debate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey we (ALPA members) took a vote and all you dorks who want to work till you die lost. Suck it up and start saving for retirement.

Crying about it won't do a thing but give you high blood pressure from being stressed-out, and in that case you wouldn't make it to 60 anyway so give it up. :D

Peace out!

Skeezer

Last edited:
Like it or not, the age 60 rule will change. When is the real question and not if.
I never voted on it and I paid ALPO dues for 13.5 years before that POS operation sold me and my group down the river.
There are a lot of furloughed pilots on the street still so maybe this may not be the time but it will change and change it will.
When you have been a member of ALPO long enough, you'll agree that they only look out for themselves and not the members that pay the bills. I hate ALPA, is that clear enough.
I feel so much better now. Breath in, breath out. Breath in, breath out.

Cyclone said:
congress ... is afraid to change something they could get blamed for later. it ain't happening any time soon.

Now we have the real reason it won't be changing.

The Age 60 Rule has other ramifications too. I just read an article in AOPA that states for those who wish to fly their own airplanes beyond that age, the insurance companies are tacking on a 60+ premium that goes up exponentionallly--because, they say, that is the age pilots retire from professional flying and are deemed as more risky because that's what the FAA determined...

To say that the age 60 rule shouldn't be extended due to the likelyhood of pilot incapacitation or sudden illness is rediculous.

My grandfather kept up his first class medical until he was 75 and the only reason he didn't keep it up after that is because he was hit by a car. Many of his 70+ year old friends are still flying in some capacity.

The real reason that most pilots here want the age 60 rule to stay in place is because they think that they can move up the seniority ladder or get recalled from furlough faster. It's just a way to get rid of the senior pilots. The age 60 rule, when conceived, had nothing to do with health considerations.

I also hear some argue that they do not want to have to work past age 60. Huh??? No one is making you work past age 50, or 40, or 30. If you don't want to work past age 60 then don't...no one will force you to. I would like to be able to decide for myself if I want to work beyond 60.

And if you are worried that extending the age to 65 will force you to work another 5 years in order to receive you full pension...I wouldn't count on a pension at all. You're better off investing your money on your own in a 401k, a roth IRA, or even better...both. This way you can retire whenever you feel you have enough saved up plus you own your investment. Besides, pensions are about to become a thing of the past.

Those last 5 years at your company will be the most productive years most likely so what's wrong with allowing me to have 5 more?

It's simple...if you don't want to work past age 60 then don't. If you don't trust my health at age 63 then don't fly on my flight. You are free to get off although I'm willing to bet you wouldn't.

Fly-n-hi said:
The real reason that most pilots here want the age 60 rule to stay in place is because they think that they can move up the seniority ladder or get recalled from furlough faster. It's just a way to get rid of the senior pilots. The age 60 rule, when conceived, had nothing to do with health considerations.

But those senior pilots got to move up faster because the rule existed. Now many of them are crying about how unfair it is. Yes it is unfair, it was when they were in their 30s and 40s too

Those last 5 years at your company will be the most productive years most likely so what's wrong with allowing me to have 5 more?

Because then my last 5 years will start later, so if I chose to quit at 60 I'll miss out on my 5 most productive years. So the guys that are senior when the rule changes get 10 years while everyone else gets 5 (your numbers).

It's simple...if you don't want to work past age 60 then don't. If you don't trust my health at age 63 then don't fly on my flight. You are free to get off although I'm willing to bet you wouldn't.

It IS simple, the age 60 rule was in place when you were junior, now you are senior and you want to stay in my seat as long as you can. You accuse junior folks of being greedy, but clearly you have a lot to gain if the rule goes away.

Please understand that I think the age 60 rule is bogus, I support its repeal. But if it goes away my upgrade WILL be delayed.
It needs to be gradually phased out. I'd start with those reaching the age of ATP first (I think it is 23). That way there is no one junior to be hurt. No one is even proposing anyting like this because there is a whole generation hoping for and even expecting a windfall. They'll get more time at the top of the senority pile than anyone else before or after. On top of that they expect the junior folks to happily go along with their scheme.

Age 60 was originally pushed for by the CEO of American in 1959 so he didn't have to pay the most senior pilots on the new jets.He used his pull with the FAA to save himself money.Some things never change.This alone makes me hope for a rule change.

ivauir,

Where do I start???

"It IS simple, the age 60 rule was in place when you were junior, now you are senior and you want to stay in my seat as long as you can. You accuse junior folks of being greedy, but clearly you have a lot to gain if the rule goes away."

Whoa!! I'm 28 and in the bottom 15% of my seniority list. I have no problem letting the guys who are 60 stay five more years.

"But those senior pilots got to move up faster because the rule existed. Now many of them are crying about how unfair it is. Yes it is unfair, it was when they were in their 30s and 40s too"

I don't care what their attitudes were back then. I'm concerned with today. What is the point of this argument?

"Because then my last 5 years will start later, so if I chose to quit at 60 I'll miss out on my 5 most productive years. So the guys that are senior when the rule changes get 10 years while everyone else gets 5 (your numbers)."

Sorry. Without trying to sound disrespectful...This argument makes absolutely no sense. Why do you care how much other pilots are getting? I am, as you sould be, concerned with my own outlook. I'm supposed to oppose extending the age 60 rule because someone else might make a little more money than me??? In reality they will not make more than me because I will get an additional 5 years as well.

"...now you are senior and you want to stay in my seat as long as you can."

Again, without trying to sound direspectful, this sentence is the foundation of your argument. Explain to me please what you mean by "my" seat??? This sentence suggests envy.

Latest resources

Back