F18 Down?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
???????????

That wasn't bravado, it was making a point that he knows the aircraft.

Also, you guys that are guessing "fuel starvation" are barking uo the wrong tree. Bingo from the ship is similar to a civilian divert. Yes, Bingo is emergency fuel, but planned fuel on deck is about 20 mins, so unless there were extenuating circumstances like unforseen WX enroute, he had the gas to make it.

No one ever said Mil guys don't make mistakes. Fact is, most mishaps (there are no accidents) are pilot error. With that said though, let's chill out until we know all the facts here.

And nobody make a joke about any situation.....

Yes, Bingo is emergency fuel, but planned fuel on deck is about 20 mins,
Sir,
Just to clarify: the Navy's definition of "Bingo fuel" is COMPLETELY different than the USAF's, e.g. it's not "Emergency fuel" for us.
Not that it's wrong; it's just different. I've had this discussion many times with my Navy brethren; it's always a good one to have in the bar!
Just want to make sure we're all on the same sheet of music.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a single military guy on here boasting or bragging. I've seen guys that know what it's like to be put to really hard decisions almost every time they fly get frustrated at guys that have no clue about using an aircraft for more than a mode of transportation. Flying around the carrier, especially at night, is something that can never be fully understood unless you've done it. That's not bravado. That's just reality. Even a seasoned veteran with thousands of tactical hours can get into extremis in less than seconds.

We make mistakes. Anybody that claimed otherwise would have gotten kicked out of tactical aviation before he made it to winging.

The Navy tacair guys I know never boast or brag besides maybe some light ready room banter after a good 1v1. Those that act too cool usually get crushed. But, we do pride ourselves on being brutally honest with each other in our debriefs about every minute detail in the flight. Nothing like your civilian training. You'd fire your CFI if he told you how screwed up you were the way that military IPs do.

I know plenty of mil guys that fly for airlines. There are usually two reasons that they do not talk about their military experience. They know why that is, and if you didn't have a chip on your shoulder, you'd probably know, too.

As for the subsonic airflow crap, my point was that i've seen a guy hit the back of the ship, jam his gear deep into his intakes, severly fod bot of his engines and safely land the jet with no landing gear and a bent hook. I bet you that guy will never tell you he didn't make a mistake that flight. But, he also took a barely limping jet with less than emergency fuel back to the beach and get it on deck.

I haven't seen a single military guy on here boasting or bragging. I've seen guys that know what it's like to be put to really hard decisions almost every time they fly get frustrated at guys that have no clue about using an aircraft for more than a mode of transportation. Flying around the carrier, especially at night, is something that can never be fully understood unless you've done it. That's not bravado. That's just reality. Even a seasoned veteran with thousands of tactical hours can get into extremis in less than seconds.

Agreed! That is why AF pilots will always look up to and envy Naval Aviators! check this out!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7166330178234459087

We make mistakes. Anybody that claimed otherwise would have gotten kicked out of tactical aviation before he made it to winging.

I am sure of it... yet there are guys that for some reason have a empty place in their ego after flying a tactical jet, that have the need to come on FI and look for respect via arguing... it is akin to a bully looking for a fight.... or trying to change the mind of a Marine.

The Navy tacair guys I know never boast or brag besides maybe some light ready room banter after a good 1v1. Those that act too cool usually get crushed. But, we do pride ourselves on being brutally honest with each other in our debriefs about every minute detail in the flight. Nothing like your civilian training. You'd fire your CFI if he told you how screwed up you were the way that military IPs do.

Again with you and economics and the market. MIL training has nothing to do with the market, as a CFI and employee of a small business CFI's had to critique tactfully so the customer would sign up for his next lesson that day. Petty stuff compared to your world, but you brought it up....

I know plenty of mil guys that fly for airlines. There are usually two reasons that they do not talk about their military experience. They know why that is, and if you didn't have a chip on your shoulder, you'd probably know, too.

Yet there are MIL guys (just like CIV guys.... hey wait a minute, you and I are examples) that come on FI and have to defend MIL service...

As for the subsonic airflow crap, my point was that i've seen a guy hit the back of the ship, jam his gear deep into his intakes, severly fod bot of his engines and safely land the jet with no landing gear and a bent hook. I bet you that guy will never tell you he didn't make a mistake that flight. But, he also took a barely limping jet with less than emergency fuel back to the beach and get it on deck.

What about Al Haynes and his crew? Sorry, how silly of me to bring it up... What about the fuel exhaustion on the A330 that "dead sticked" it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

Fact is this guy, SIG used examples of rogue MIL pilots who wrecked jets due to carelessness and tried to pass it off as "the awe, danger and sacrifice" of flying tactical jets...

I have never meet anyone who does not appreciate MIL service and is not impressed with tactical jets.... But that is not the real discussion here.... it is individual attitude of superiority of a few, who try and depict others as ignorant and ungrateful.

We get it. But as tax payers, we get to ask questions why our familes are killed in their homes.

Instead of arguing with monikers on FI why not put your Bag on and go speak at a high school or museum.....

Blah blah

Dude you've got issues. There was zero chest thumping, you've just got self confindence issues. I cited not ONE incident in my post, merely situations the jet has been put in... all for the sole purpose of reiterating milky's post that an uncontained engine failure is pure uneducated speculation... which if you remember is what started this entire thread. Guys that know NOTHING, citing media reports and rumor, second guessing the guy in the seat. It's unprofessional and infuriating. That's it.

Wise decisions. Catfish is a retired CO, and distinguished vet. I'd be willing to bet he's seen the dark side of aviation on a personal basis more times than you.

One would think that a retired CO and distinguished vet wouldn't spend so much time on flight info engaged in anonymous disagreements about nothing. It baffles me me that so many "fighter pilots" hang out on this site. What exactly is "the dark side of aviation" ? Some of you guys need to take trip away from the mirror.

Last edited:
Well

I think we all spend time on this site to keep up to date with various portions of the aviation world that interest us. My guess is that a squadron CO would frequent a section marked "military". That makes sense to me anyway.

There are plenty on here who talk as if they know...but it is fairly evident that they do not. I simply don't read their posts.

I think the dark side of aviation is how many of us die while doing something we enjoy.

Why are you on this forum?

Latest resources

Back