• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F18 Down?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you know enough about the design of the hornet to even ask an intelligent question about it? Obviously not. There are two engines. There is no recorded incident of a chunk failure causing one engine to destroy the other engine.

Never heard of a "chunk" failure but I will assume that you are talking about an uncontained compressor or turbine failure. Your never "hearing" about it is hardly evidence that the F-18 is completely damage tolerant.

I have seen landing gear jammed into both intakes and the jet still make it to land. The jet was designed to got in to battle and sustain damage. But, fail to connect the oil line properly to the engine, and just like any jet, it will stop working pretty quickly.

Damaged/distorted intakes are hardly the same as damage to the engine core. Most jets would be able to function with their inlets distorted. (Since the F-18 utilizes a bleed air system instead of variable geometry ramps to enable supersonic operations I would expect that it would have more capability to handle inlet distortions.)

I asked specific questions and you responded with sweeping generalizations about my lack of knowledge but so far have shed no light on the issue.

Last edited:
You know, looking back at your original post, I am sorry I even dignified you with a response. You truly are an idiot. You have no idea the mission and training that happens right off the coast. I have nearly had to deal with fuel exhaustion more than once just off the coast of California. There is a HUGE difference between an airline running out of gas and a tactical jet running out of gas. If you knew all the situations we put ourselves into each day that you would consider a serious emergency, you'd keep your stupid mouth shut until you have some clue as to what happened.

Running out of fuel when there are troops engaged on the ground is one thing, running out of fuel on a training mission is quite another. Further, running out of fuel and then flying over a populated area is still another thing.

You are the one jumping to conclusions, I merely stated that I hoped it was not fuel exhaustion. Dual engine failures are improbable events and are usually caused by a common cause, i.e. fuel exhaustion, fuel contamination, tank vent failure etc.

No go ahead and call me more names as this seems to be your preferred method of communication.

I hope the majority of tacair pilots are a little more mature than you appear to be.

edited... I'll just keep my mouth shut

Wise decisions. Catfish is a retired CO, and distinguished vet. I'd be willing to bet he's seen the dark side of aviation on a personal basis more times than you.

Ableone, Milky makes some very good points... you have NO idea the situations we put ourselves in on a daily basis. Life around the boat in a jet that has no gas to begin with is something you can't even fathom. I routinely (like this morning) return from the warning area with about 20 minutes of gas (2,000 #'s) left. Why? Because we have to squeeze every amount of training out possible, there's an inherent level of risk involved that we accept, that you would consider a serious emergency. To have someone that knows absolutely ZERO about tactical aviation start spouting off at the mouth second guessing a pilots decisions based on speculation and hearsay pisses off not only him but ALL of us. As far as an uncontained engine failure taking out the other, I've NEVER heard of it happening in the Hornet. This jet has taken direct surface to air fire, surface to air missiles, blown up engines, lost entire control surfaces, and made it home time and again. A wild compressor section taking a trip is MINOR.

And WTF are you talking about bleed air and sonic inlet flow? Playing too many video games?

Last edited:
Thanks Sig,

you're right. Too many times and too many memorials. All Great Americans. I can't stand to hear the Navy Hymn anymore.

Ableone, Milky makes some very good points... you have NO idea the situations we put ourselves in on a daily basis. Life around the boat in a jet that has no gas to begin with is something you can't even fathom. I routinely (like this morning) return from the warning area with about 20 minutes of gas (2,000 #'s) left.

That does not strike me as particularly risky. If 20 minutes is the normal reserve than so be it. As far as being able to fathom it, those of us who have been around long enough to have started out in straight jets know well what it is like to run low on fuel.

Why? Because we have to squeeze every amount of training out possible, there's an inherent level of risk involved that we accept, that you would consider a serious emergency. To have someone that knows absolutely ZERO about tactical aviation start spouting off at the mouth second guessing a pilots decisions based on speculation and hearsay pisses off not only him but ALL of us.

If you re-read my original post you will see that I was doing no such thing. I was simply pointing out that in a 737 and unconfined failure would most likely cause no damage to the other engine, while this scenario is not necessarily the same in a pod mounted twin.
As far as an uncontained engine failure taking out the other, I've NEVER heard of it happening in the Hornet.
You saying that you have never heard of it happening is not at all the same as saying you are aware of a specific feature on the F-18 that protects one engine from the other.
This jet has taken direct surface to air fire, surface to air missiles, blown up engines, lost entire control surfaces, and made it home time and again. A wild compressor section taking a trip is MINOR.

And WTF are you talking about bleed air and sonic inlet flow? Playing too many video games?

The last time I checked the F-18 did not have air inlet deflection ramps to maintain subsonic inlet flow. Since you are the expert why don't you tell us how the F-18 maintains subsonic flow to the engines.

Wise decisions. Catfish is a retired CO, and distinguished vet. I'd be willing to bet he's seen the dark side of aviation on a personal basis more times than you.

Ableone, Milky makes some very good points... you have NO idea the situations we put ourselves in on a daily basis. Life around the boat in a jet that has no gas to begin with is something you can't even fathom. I routinely (like this morning) return from the warning area with about 20 minutes of gas (2,000 #'s) left. Why? Because we have to squeeze every amount of training out possible, there's an inherent level of risk involved that we accept, that you would consider a serious emergency. To have someone that knows absolutely ZERO about tactical aviation start spouting off at the mouth second guessing a pilots decisions based on speculation and hearsay pisses off not only him but ALL of us. As far as an uncontained engine failure taking out the other, I've NEVER heard of it happening in the Hornet. This jet has taken direct surface to air fire, surface to air missiles, blown up engines, lost entire control surfaces, and made it home time and again. A wild compressor section taking a trip is MINOR.

So you fly a tactical jet this AM, and that is not enough, so you come on FI, to beat your chest and roar bravado....??

I flew with an F-14 guy earlier this year. A true gent. I had to ask to get info out of him. If he had an ego he left it Oceana and retired it with the jet...

Fact is, MIL pilots are humans and make mistakes.. maybe this guy did, maybe he didn't...

But as we've seen earlier, you've got a 'we can do no wrong attitude'. You tried to pass off this attitude with the Viper/CIV interception thread and in this thread with the bravado pilots that were showing off and killed themselves, others and wasted a good jet..

You aren't going to take it from me, but maybe one the MIL guys can give a you check up from the neck up....

Latest resources

Back