• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F18 Down?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One would think that a retired CO and distinguished vet wouldn't spend so much time on flight info engaged in anonymous disagreements about nothing. It baffles me me that so many "fighter pilots" hang out on this site. What exactly is "the dark side of aviation" ? Some of you guys need to take trip away from the mirror.

I guess if you're going to throw out flame bait like that, I am forced to bite. We hang out here because we like to know when the good jobs become available so that we can step in front of all the aspiring civilian guys to gobble them up. Is that what you wanted to hear?

I think we all spend time on this site to keep up to date with various portions of the aviation world that interest us. My guess is that a squadron CO would frequent a section marked "military". That makes sense to me anyway.

There are plenty on here who talk as if they know...but it is fairly evident that they do not. I simply don't read their posts.

I think the dark side of aviation is how many of us die while doing something we enjoy.

Why are you on this forum?

Fair enough question. I am on this forum for a good laugh. As you can see I seldom post. Are Mil pilots under the impression that only they loose friends to "the dark side of aviation" ? Honestly, the chest puffing by a few of the guys on here is pretty comical. A squadron CO on fight info to keep up with the Military aviation world....interesting.

I guess if you're going to throw out flame bait like that, I am forced to bite. We hang out here because we like to know when the good jobs become available so that we can step in front of all the aspiring civilian guys to gobble them up. Is that what you wanted to hear?

Milky, and this is an honest question, are you really a pilot in any venue? Your posts suggest otherwise. A piece of advice, If it is on this board (job notice) you're at least a week late.

Dude you've got issues. There was zero chest thumping, you've just got self confindence issues.

You fly a tactical jet in the AM and then need to get on FI later to "prove" yourself...

I cited not ONE incident in my post, merely situations the jet has been put in...

and you tried to pass off cowboy stunts where pilots killed themselves, others and destroyed property as something "we don't understand" or the "dark side of aviation"

all for the sole purpose of reiterating milky's post that an uncontained engine failure is pure uneducated speculation... which if you remember is what started this entire thread. Guys that know NOTHING, citing media reports and rumor, second guessing the guy in the seat.

When a jet destroys a house and family we get to ask questions... there is a right way and wrong way to ask...

It's unprofessional and infuriating. That's it.

Control your emotions...

FI is not a professional forum... how can some dude you don't know behind a moniker screen name be professional... how can you hold them to professionalism....

Milky, and this is an honest question, are you really a pilot in any venue? Your posts suggest otherwise. A piece of advice, If it is on this board (job notice) you're at least a week late.

If you read only this thread, you would know exactly what I do for a living. If you read my previous posts in multiple threads, you would know, also.

You obviously missed the baiting purpose of my post that was in direct response to an idiotic baiting post. I didn't even know there were job notice postings on FI. I just read the forums.

When a jet destroys a house and family we get to ask questions... there is a right way and wrong way to ask...

Again, brings us back to the beginning. Ask all you want, you don't have a RIGHT to know. Don't second guess the guy in the seat either, you wouldn't want people doing it to you or your friends.

If you read only this thread, you would know exactly what I do for a living. If you read my previous posts in multiple threads, you would know, also.

You obviously missed the baiting purpose of my post that was in direct response to an idiotic baiting post. I didn't even know there were job notice postings on FI. I just read the forums.

Milky, I hold nothing against you personally or anyone else on this board. The only reason I usually end up here is for a laugh, and then only when the kids and wife are out or asleep. Best wishes, Fly safe.

Fair enough question. I am on this forum for a good laugh. As you can see I seldom post. Are Mil pilots under the impression that only they loose friends to "the dark side of aviation" ? Honestly, the chest puffing by a few of the guys on here is pretty comical. A squadron CO on fight info to keep up with the Military aviation world....interesting.

With the term "us" I meant pilots. Not mil pilots, not civ pilots, not foreign pilots, but all pilots. So, I know we all lose friends to the dark side of this profession we all love.

One thing beaks me though: you come to a thread about a mishap with fatalities "for a good laugh". Is that what you really meant to say?

For Rez and everyone else...one thing the military stresses within it's pilot force is that we don't speculate on the cause of the crash. We have a safety investigation which is considered "privileged". This investigation is not a legal inquiry, it simply takes all of the potential causes and tries to identify ways we can prevent a similar mishap in the future. This information is released to those who can learn from it (If the problem was F-18 specific, only the F-18 community would be briefed. If the problem is fighter specific, only fighter pilots would be briefed, or if it is basic pilot specific all pilots would be briefed, etc). This is what the military refers to as a "need to know" or "privilege".

We also have a mishap investigation which will legally penalize people for being incompetent, companies for not following proper manufacturing processes, or anyone else for not following proper protocol. (The results of this board is released to everyone)

Time and again, we have found that the initial public "reason" for the mishap is not what happened at all. So, in SIG's defense, lets wait until the mishap boards release their data before we speculate what might have happened.

With the term "us" I meant pilots. Not mil pilots, not civ pilots, not foreign pilots, but all pilots. So, I know we all lose friends to the dark side of this profession we all love.

One thing beaks me though: you come to a thread about a mishap with fatalities "for a good laugh". Is that what you really meant to say?

For Rez and everyone else...one thing the military stresses within it's pilot force is that we don't speculate on the cause of the crash. We have a safety investigation which is considered "privileged". This investigation is not a legal inquiry, it simply takes all of the potential causes and tries to identify ways we can prevent a similar mishap in the future. This information is released to those who can learn from it (If the problem was F-18 specific, only the F-18 community would be briefed. If the problem is fighter specific, only fighter pilots would be briefed, or if it is basic pilot specific all pilots would be briefed, etc). This is what the military refers to as a "need to know" or "privilege".

We also have a mishap investigation which will legally penalize people for being incompetent, companies for not following proper manufacturing processes, or anyone else for not following proper protocol. (The results of this board is released to everyone)

Time and again, we have found that the initial public "reason" for the mishap is not what happened at all. So, in SIG's defense, lets wait until the mishap boards release their data before we speculate what might have happened.

I come to this forum for a good laugh....not this thread. It is unfortunate that you construed my post this way. As a father, husband and pilot I cannot imagine what these poor people are going through and my prayers and thoughts go out to all. This thread started downhill long before I arrived.

Latest resources

Back