Extraneous useless radio phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MACH80.....

...these aren't YOUR airplanes...if MY airplane becomes a smokin' hole in the ground...you still get in your car and drive home that night.....don't get wound up with all the bad 'pilot speak'....I've heard just as many controllers with diahrea of the mouth...take it easy and just relax.. C U next tuesday.

this thread needs to die. If you guys want to say "with you" when you call me on freq then do it. Say what ever you want to say.....and enjoy bugg'n the crap out of these other people who have nothing better to do then cringe when they hear it. I don't know about you but in my world, someone starts to whine and complain about things.......i continue to do it just to bug em.

With you.....out of 2.4 for 5 thousand. 3424 in the box, got him on the fish finder, all acceptable in my book. I know what you mean and we don't always have to sound professional....well...i do unfortuantly being a controller but you can all say what ever it is you want in my opinion and do it to spite the people who can't stand it!

i $hit perfection and p1ss excellence.....so what do you think happens when i key the mic?

Whatever I say is perfectly acceptable. If you dont like it then go monitor 121.5 and get me a cup of coffee. Or else i'll make you go sit in the back.

The one phrase that bugs me the most that some pilots say when they read back instructions is "Ok, here we go". That has got to be the most annoying phrase ever.

He's been holding at Mach80 all this time? Someone should clear him along!:)

East coast at 3:30 pm? Definitely keep it professional and quick. Over Montana at 1:30 am? Blabber away - anything to help keep everyone awake.

Yep, nothing worse than flyin at night over dark earth or in the clouds and having no one to talk to!! Chill out a bit and relax. If it's really busy shut up, if not, it's just being friendly. Hell I like to have the guy say hello & goodbye to me, why not be personable and do the same for him. Remember maybe he won't get FINITE AIRSPACE syndrome!!

...that's the attitude I expect from a controller.

I don't even want to imagine how difficult it is to manage all the traffic coming in and out of ATL and maybe things are different down there.

Try managing the energy of a jet. I don't want to unnecessarily waste fuel. If I know how long the final is, I know whether or not I need to hurry down, use drag--or not. I don't want to be at 2500' 20 miles out, and I don't want to be turning base to final 5 mile out @ 7000' still doing 250. Out here on the West Coast, controllers actually volunteer that information.

So, you are having a hard time keeping up with your airplane?

How about listening to the radio and kinda get a feel for the flow of traffic?
Ya know, when the last 10 aircraft have been turned on to the Localizer 10 miles from Bahrr or whatever.

shortcuts and ride reports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! give us a break. at least try not to ask every single controller, every time you check in on a new freq.
This really depends. Considerations include:

On a 50 seat RJ there isn't very far to go and not much going on in the isles. In a 330 seat jet you usually have passengers up (even with the seat belt sign on) and FA's up to serve those passengers.

In case anyone forgot, we are held to the highest standard of care to forsee harm to these passengers and ensure their safety. I want to know what ride reports are out there, particularly if we are changing altitudes or the weather appears unstable. .. and unlike the RJ days, it is not my fourth trip that day through that same patch of weather. Frankly, I'm asking because I don't know.

Also there is the sheer moment arm on the larger jets. In the tail, more than 100 feet from the center of gravity any movements are amplified like they are on the end of a diving board.

It's all about safety - so kindy do provide ride reports.

Last edited:
So, you are having a hard time keeping up with your airplane?
No, but in order to comply with your altitude requests we need to have the jet properly configured. Without slats/flaps many modern jets just don't slow down or come down because those engineers have designed them to be very, very, efficient (shockers).

The alternative is to "dirty up early" which wastes gas and contributes to the pollutants that destroy the paint job on your nice new car.

We can make your job easy (by being configured to comply) and you can make our job easy - good goes round that way.

Most controllers do an outstanding job - thanks for answering our questions.

Last edited:
No, but in order to comply with your altitude requests we need to have the jet properly configured. Without slats/flaps many modern jets just don't slow down or come down because those engineers have designed them to be very, very, efficient (shockers).

The alternative is to "dirty up early" which wastes gas and contributes to the pollutants that destroy the paint job on your nice new car.

We can make your job easy (by being configured to comply) and you can make our job easy - good goes round that way.

Most controllers do an outstanding job - thanks for answering our questions.

Thanks.. I used to fly the 737-200...ugly looking..didn't look like it should fly at all. A "byatch" to get down. Now it is the -700, better looking..same problem. That is why you try to stay ahead of it. Ya live, ya learn!

Keep it short and simple

Baltimore Tower, "whatever airline" holding short, runway 28 ready for takeoff 28. (Whatever airline) responds...Taxi into postion and hold 28. (Whatever airkine) responds......Cleared for takeoff 28.

28...28...28...28...28 bla... bla.....bla....bla....bla

The air traffic controller KNOWS where you are, a pilot doesn't need to keep remond the tower WHERE they are.

Latest resources

Back