• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ExpressJet Upgrades

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thanks for the info guys. 007--actually I was not kidding. Apparently the info on airlinepilotpay.com is incorrect.

Actually Pilotcentral.com is CORRECT. We do have some G-number captains, in other words a handful of pilots who've been here less than 2 years have been awarded EWR captain.

There are still a few hundred FO's senior to these junior captains. They are holding off on upgrade for personal reasons....mostly holding out for a line I assume.

Turtlesfly said:
I think 007 was laughing because, without fail, in every new hire class, on about day one or two, there's always one who starts asking, "how long until I can upgrade?" I mean, there's no guarentee that you're even going to be an FO just because you're sitting in class (we had a few fail out). It reminds us of a certain "Tommy Boy" scene . . . . but thanks, I had a good laugh, too. :)

Thanks turtles, you hit on the head......

What scares me is that there are people who are flight instructors wanting to know when they will upgrade in an airplane that is so beyond anything they have flown...

I have been at XJT for a year now I have about 900 hours in the ERJ and I really think I am marginal at best for upgrade... I am cool in the airplane but there is all the other crap that you dont have to worry about as an F/O. My first winter was spent on reserve (read --I sat on my ass )so this is my first winter of landing on icy runways in heavy ice and the such. I honestly dont think I am really ready to upgrade... could I fake it... yes, could I pass a type ride-- yeah... but that doesnt mean I am ready to upgrade...

I am surprised (not to directly pick on any one) that PCL, CHQ or any of those airlines that have hired a lot and had bunches of people upgrade really quickly havent bent some iron. __Even thought the Pinnacle accident is really dealing with crew inexperiance and disrespect for the airplane.

Chill out guys ---people before you have taken 5 years or more (Eagle 10yrs) to upgrade...thats just the way it is.

A seniority list is Like a ladder full of naked people....
Look Down all you see is smiling faces----
Look Up and all you see is A$$holes

Good post flatspin7. I was hired at XJT about the same time as you were judging from your statement and time in the ERJ. I agree with you another winter or two in the right seat and some more summer flying in Mexico won't hurt me. About once a month or so something comes up on a trip that remminds me that I've got a lot yet to learn.

I'm one of the G's in upgrade training now. Have been here for 21 months. Have 3700 hours with 1400 in type. So far training has been top notch, as always. Trying to guess when you will upgrade is nearly impossible. Around 60 more people going to CAL from the pref. interview group. Right now manpower planning is estimating 15/mo. to leave to CAL during the next year through normal interviewing. Still have plans for 3000 pilots, with around 2800 on property now, including management, training, etc.

box

Flatspin7---I agree with you that there is a difference between being ready to upgrade on paper and being ready to upgrade for real. However, there is nothing wrong with weighing options as far as which airline to choose to work for...even as a CFI. Major factors in a pilot's decision are going to be pay, QOL, schedules, work rules, and of course TIME TO UPGRADE. The fact is, I am not a CFI. The airline I work for is okay but I was considering going somewhere else with a better QOL and quicker upgrade times. Now after finding out the upgrade at XJT is 5 years, I will stay where I'm at. If it was 2-3, I would consider applying.

eight8kcabpilot said:
Flatspin7---I agree with you that there is a difference between being ready to upgrade on paper and being ready to upgrade for real. However, there is nothing wrong with weighing options as far as which airline to choose to work for...even as a CFI. Major factors in a pilot's decision are going to be pay, QOL, schedules, work rules, and of course TIME TO UPGRADE. The fact is, I am not a CFI. The airline I work for is okay but I was considering going somewhere else with a better QOL and quicker upgrade times. Now after finding out the upgrade at XJT is 5 years, I will stay where I'm at. If it was 2-3, I would consider applying.

The truth of the matter is no one knows what the upgrade situation will be since there are too many factors. I wouldn't base your decision on rumors.

Truth is yes upgrade could slow but something positive could happen as well. Who really knows. All i know is i dont mind sitting an fo for a few years as long as my QOL is good and i am home with my family alot.

Could CAL reduce our flying? Yes. Could CAL increase our flying? Yes Could we pick up more flying from another carrier in the future? Yes. None of us will know what happens till it happens. So find somewhere you will be happy at and give it a shot. I have said it before and will say it again, todays right decision is tomorrows bad decision. Carry on

Just don't lose the belief that ExpressJet delivers the best regional airline service in the world! Oh yeah, and they are really a major international airline. Wow!

Well when CAL cuts XJets flying in 07 gives more of it out to its connection carriers. Don't expect other Majors to jump to try and get you guys. Your operating cost is WAAAY to high especially with 250 50 seaters and below. I'm really surprised CAL hasn't cut you more or has made you fly something with more seats.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back