Expressjet Update!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

boxjockey

Now everyone reading this take it with a grain of salt, but as of five days ago this is what's going down in the training department. I flew with one of our designated examiners last week, guy has been in the training department for eight years, so should be a pretty good source of information. Starting in Jan, we are training 128 new-hires per month indefinitely. When he told me this, I thought he was joking. He wasn't. As of five days ago, the plan is to hire 1500 new-hires this year!! Apparently CAL has an average of one retirement per day this year. That combined with thin staffing to begin with, should lead to the express people who have employment letters with CAL all being gone by Aug this year. I'm not sure of the total number, but somewhere in the vicinity of 400 pilots. The 128 new-hires is also in addition to 64 captain upgrades per month to continue indefinitely. We're also scheduled to recieve around 20 aircraft this year. Now on the downside, he seems to believe we WILL NOT fly larger aircraft for CAL. Supposedly as part of their impending concession package, they may fly their own 70-90 seat aircraft in a move resembling Mid-Atlantic at US Airways. These things change all of the time, and he cautioned they will probably change again, but for now that's what's going on. If you have the quals, do the online app, things are really getting fired up. Looks like that upgrade may be coming sooner than I thought. :) :D

box

boxjockey said:
Now everyone reading this take it with a grain of salt, but as of five days ago this is what's going down in the training department. I flew with one of our designated examiners last week, guy has been in the training department for eight years, so should be a pretty good source of information. Starting in Jan, we are training 128 new-hires per month indefinitely. When he told me this, I thought he was joking. He wasn't. As of five days ago, the plan is to hire 1500 new-hires this year!! Apparently CAL has an average of one retirement per day this year. That combined with thin staffing to begin with, should lead to the express people who have employment letters with CAL all being gone by Aug this year. I'm not sure of the total number, but somewhere in the vicinity of 400 pilots. The 128 new-hires is also in addition to 64 captain upgrades per month to continue indefinitely. We're also scheduled to recieve around 20 aircraft this year. Now on the downside, he seems to believe we WILL NOT fly larger aircraft for CAL. Supposedly as part of their impending concession package, they may fly their own 70-90 seat aircraft in a move resembling Mid-Atlantic at US Airways. These things change all of the time, and he cautioned they will probably change again, but for now that's what's going on. If you have the quals, do the online app, things are really getting fired up. Looks like that upgrade may be coming sooner than I thought. :) :D

box

Sounds too good to be true.

Believe it when you see it. Words to live by.

1500 new-hires in one year? 128 a month? Unless John and Martha King are pitching in to help the training department, that's a lot for one company to train.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but it's true there are 64 CA upgrades for Jan and Feb but 128 new hires per month is just not going to happen.

The training department cannot handle that many. At best, 128 training cycles in a month is a strain. I would expect 64 new hires for quite some time coupled with 64 CA upgrades to be about it.

Maybe I'm wrong but that how the class schedules appear to me and I used to be in the training department and watch the schedules pretty closely for just such information.

not that i dont like the sounds of that but can anyone back that info up, i need a cross fix.

I'm going to go buy a lotto ticket and take my chances there.

Our instructors are notorious for spreading incorrect rumors here. Their heart might be in the right place, but unfounded rumors based on hearsay are just that.

Fact: We currently have NO flowthrough. The odds of getting a new one are 50/50 at best. So far, CAL has not agreed to take the pref-interviews that hold letters. This may or may not happen. Even IF it does, there are not nearly enough letter holding pilots to even come close to the numbers mentioned on this thread.

I hope this to be true, but I have yet to see anything that would indicate that there is ANY fact behind this rumor.

If the rumors coming out of our training department were true, we would also have several 170's on property now, as well as a few 737-500's.

what coex fo said is about right...well Im off call going to denver to ski see yall monday. this reserve stuff is some boring S**T

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back