Expressjet Update!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
boxjockey said:
Now everyone reading this take it with a grain of salt, but as of five days ago this is what's going down in the training department. I flew with one of our designated examiners last week, guy has been in the training department for eight years, so should be a pretty good source of information. Starting in Jan, we are training 128 new-hires per month indefinitely. When he told me this, I thought he was joking. He wasn't. As of five days ago, the plan is to hire 1500 new-hires this year!! Apparently CAL has an average of one retirement per day this year. That combined with thin staffing to begin with, should lead to the express people who have employment letters with CAL all being gone by Aug this year. I'm not sure of the total number, but somewhere in the vicinity of 400 pilots. The 128 new-hires is also in addition to 64 captain upgrades per month to continue indefinitely. We're also scheduled to recieve around 20 aircraft this year. Now on the downside, he seems to believe we WILL NOT fly larger aircraft for CAL. Supposedly as part of their impending concession package, they may fly their own 70-90 seat aircraft in a move resembling Mid-Atlantic at US Airways. These things change all of the time, and he cautioned they will probably change again, but for now that's what's going on. If you have the quals, do the online app, things are really getting fired up. Looks like that upgrade may be coming sooner than I thought. :) :D

box

"I flew with one of our designated examiners last week, guy has been in the training department for eight years, so should be a pretty good source of information."

I find that these are some of the worst guys to listen to when it comes to flight dept. news. It ranks right up there with "I had a guy in the JS" or "a senior guy in the training dept. told us" bla bla bla ..................

-----------------------------------------------
"Supposedly as part of their impending concession package, they may fly their own 70-90 seat aircraft in a move resembling Mid-Atlantic at US Airways."

But isn't CAL mainline calling back all their furloughees by this summer? If its like MDA then they would be staffed by CAL guys on furlough, how can they do this if everyone is called back?
-------------------------------------------------
"These things change all of the time"
bingo - one day your "movin on up", and the next, your not so "movin on up"

The only time your going to know for sure about 2005 hiring is on Jan 1st, 2006.

Why do all the juicy rumors come from the training dept?

Fact is this. After the "shildlers" list guys leave there are 189 guys with rights at CAL. I'm one of them and like many many other guys I have doubts about going over. 1600 pilots is retarded!!! Not going to happen. We are only getting like 20-30 more a/c. At 10 people per a/c thats only 200-300 people. Plus with a MAXIMUM of 3-400 guys going to CAL the max grand total is only around 6-700 pilots hired. That will be enough for the training dept to handle. DOn't forget we have 13-1400 capts that need a p/c every 6 months and 12-1300 fo's as well.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

Not going to be 1500 pilots this year. The number I have been given is 600.
Hiring is aggresive at the moment and I have been told that I will be busy for the rest of the year.

boxjockey said:
As of five days ago, the plan is to hire 1500 new-hires this year!!
box

I don't even work for Coex and I can tell you that this statement just lacks not just basic math, but common sense. Maybe you should stop, take a deep breath, and just take a moment to THINK about what you just said.

Besides all the recurrent sim training that goes on, hiring and training 1500 new hires in 12 months would involve resources that you don't even have. You could run the your sims and borrow any other available sims around the country 24 hours a day (impossible) for the remainder of the year and not be able to handle it all....

This Check-Airman didn't by chance sell you a bunch of cr*p did they?

No offense, but there is NO WAY the training department can train 128 new hires a month. The 128 might be training cycles for new FO's and upgrades. The last time I was down there I asked how many the training department could handle each month. The instructor said at best, and stretching it, the department could train 72 or so new hires per month plus the upgrades and the recurrent PCs.

Unless we get two more sims this ain't going to happen.

You guys are not thinking about this correctly......

If COEX wants to hire 128 pilots in a month it's totally possible. Think about Flight Safety.... Hobby, Dallas.....anywhere else. Our sims are not the limiting factor.
I'm not saying they will hire 128 a month but I wouldn't totally rule it out.

Hey McPickle congrats on being on the list to go to CAL. Aircraft orders are not the only reason we need pilots.... I would expect 400 or more Captains at Express will leave the seniority list in the next 12 months. The original goal for the company with the aircraft deliveries I believe was about 3000 pilots give or take... We currently have 2200 or so pilots.....give or take..... that leaves about 1500 or so more to hire after the flow-backs and preferentials leave....

frickin amazing.... don't rule anything out

Also what if the rumors that CAL is going to give more pref interviews are true?
We're understaffed as it is.

talked to a buddy who is an FO and he said they were hiring 64 or so a month for the rest of the year...for what it's worth

I had a guy on my JS who heard from a guy who knew who was on the grassy knoll.I think he was a check airman, so it's legit...

Latest resources

Back