• Start date
  • Watchers 42

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Besides the fact both use(d) 50 seat jets, what other similarities do you see in the two operations?

-Nela

Nela,

Besides the goofy paint jobs and fearless leaders? I'll have to think about it a little.

What percentage of a chance do you give them that they will remain a viable going concern?

Last edited:
Besides the goofy paint jobs and fearless leaders? I'll have to think about it a little.

What percentage of a chance to you give them that they will remain a viable going concern?

My guess on a percentage chance is no different than someone throwing a dart at a wall blind-folded. I do know the leadership team incredibly well and they are far from fearless or reckless. They have been analyzing this operation for well over 3 years.

The differences between the two operations are extensive but here is the reader's digest version. FlyI waged the viability of its entire company on the FlyI operation. They even went so far as to get more jets in the form of A319's. XJT is only using 44 of 269 jets on this operation. FlyI ran a hub and spoke operation, limiting daily utilization (downtime is expensive for jets). XJT is running point to point operations with limited aircraft sit time. FlyI attempted to operate in the very competitive northeastern corridor and also right smack in the middle of United's hub, IAD. XJT is running all over the country and not going head to head on any direct routes with a legacy or LCC carrier.

I could go on but I won't....the similarities stop with the size jet used. Period. Does that mean XJT is destined for greatness with their plan? I have no clue. But I do know that comparing XJT to FlyI is patently wrong.

-Neal

Is is true 20 of the initial 24 cities are SWA cities??

I thought that seemed like playing with fire to start the way..

will be interesting to see.

cale

Heard they plan on no profits for the first three years. In reality, Continental are the ones that are funding the whole project.
You mean the XJT pilots are funding the project. I'm sure Kellner is still overpaid.
Regarding price and times, I see XJT offering a $183 non-stop RT ONT-AUS April 23, 23. Outbound is 0700-1200, return 0800-0918. Pretty darn good times for a business traveler.
Let's see-AA is $954 for a 0625-1325 thru DFW with a 0705-1100 return. Sure the price would come down to $700 of you traveled in the middle of the day with a longer layover. Who can justify that price difference just to get FF miles?
CAL is $476 for a 0615-1441 flight thru IAH and a 0540 (uggh)-1055 return. Again, a 3 hour trip for much less than half with no layover. AA is 5-hours, 4 times the price and incolves flying thru DFW.
WN is $418, thru PHX 0810-1440 and return, 0640-1000. Savings of over 2-hours at less than 1/2 the price. Mr. business traveler will "want to get away" from WN with these time and price differences. Same goes with every other WN route. Same or cheaper price and hours of time savings.
Even if a business traveler doesn't mind the 2 additional hours with the layover, most corporate travel departments will not allow the price difference. Once more and more folks see that they are the only non-stop option at very reasonable fares, they will garner more business, IMO.

Last edited:
The loads are light but after 4 days of operation I heard that the loads are a little higher than management predicted by this time. Some planes have been filled with a 70 to 80 percent load factor. Anytime you start a new operation you will be in the RED. I guess time will tell...

You mean the XJT pilots are funding the project. I'm sure Kellner is still overpaid.
Regarding price and times, I see XJT offering a $183 non-stop RT ONT-AUS April 23, 23. Outbound is 0700-1200, return 0800-0918. Pretty darn good times for a business traveler.
Let's see-AA is $954 for a 0625-1325 thru DFW with a 0705-1100 return. Sure the price would come down to $700 of you traveled in the middle of the day with a longer layover. Who can justify that price difference just to get FF miles?
CAL is $476 for a 0615-1441 flight thru IAH and a 0540 (uggh)-1055 return. Again, a 3 hour trip for much less than half with no layover. AA is 5-hours, 4 times the price and incolves flying thru DFW.
WN is $418, thru PHX 0810-1440 and return, 0640-1000. Savings of over 2-hours at less than 1/2 the price. Mr. business traveler will "want to get away" from WN with these time and price differences. Same goes with every other WN route. Same or cheaper price and hours of time savings.
Even if a business traveler doesn't mind the 2 additional hours with the layover, most corporate travel departments will not allow the price difference. Once more and more folks see that they are the only non-stop option at very reasonable fares, they will garner more business, IMO.

But you still have that business traveler seeing the "small" plane against the "big" plane. No matter how much Kool-aid you guys drink or what you think people will go to AA, CAL, DL, WN and pay a buck less or even a hundred bucks more just to avoid a "small" plane.

But you still have that business traveler seeing the "small" plane against the "big" plane. No matter how much Kool-aid you guys drink or what you think people will go to AA, CAL, DL, WN and pay a buck less or even a hundred bucks more just to avoid a "small" plane.

That's undeniably true for a certain percentage of travelers. I have talked to lots of frequent fliers who prefer the 50 seater....single seat with no "neighbor," very fast boarding/deplaning times, fast turn times, etc. What is the percentage of people who prefer the 50 seater? I don't know. I would venture to say that it is close enough that a lower priced, more efficiently running, and no hub transitions airline might just be appealing. The ONLY big disadvantage I see is with the frequent flier programs. I wish XJT could find a major willing to offer a code share situation with the frequent flyer miles. That would make me feel better about that area of competition. Overall I think this will succeed. I could be wrong....let's see.

Tim

Not sure what you're talking about by saying the pilots are funding this? XJT has the highest paid 50 pilots in the industry. We were also given a contract extention and raises with it to lock in rates to 2010. So we're not giving anything to help fund this new venture.

Latest resources

Back