• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Expressjet announcement today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to play devil's advocate, I don't think DAL would still be around if they were still paying Contract 2000 wages. It could even be argued that they might not have had to enter BK (following AAL's lead) if they had cut wages a couple years sooner than they did, when the writing was on the wall. Instead the airline needlessly burned through billions of dollars in cash reserves when doing so was clearly unsustainable due to the state of the industry.

That being said, I believe we as airline pilots do need to establish a bottom line below which we will not stoop (don't become MESA!); I'm just saying that that line is sometimes lower than where you currently are.

Very difficult decisions for all involved. I sincerely wish the best for you guys.

You couldn't possibly think that any regional pilot anywhere is making too much... how low do you think "that line" needs to be???

I have plenty of money in the bank and a 2nd income so I have that option. Thank you very much...

I'd be willing to bet this guy sells Amway too......
icon21.gif

when most people entering the regional world have no other work experience, that's a hard thing to ask for

ding! ding! ding!...we have a winner. this is spot on. most regional pilots are hired on at 23 or younger, its their first/only job other than flight instructor. the $16-$21hr they are thrown is twice what they were making instructing or bagging groceries. they still live at home, and have no expenses. they have no perspective whatsoever.

icon21.gif

Not even close DB. Go drink a nice cup of shut the F up. Some folks actually have plans for when the industry takes a downturn. Do you or did you blow 80k at ATP just to make $16 an hour some place?

I have plenty of money in the bank and a 2nd income so I have that option. Thank you very much...

Good for you. I hope to be in that same situation someday soon. However, like most of the rest of us out there, I need this job to make it financially. I spent $30k at [insert state college] and now have loans to pay off, and other financial obligations. Therefore, I don't have the luxury of being so cavalier with my own and my fellow pilots' future.

It likely won't come to this for me, but I'd much rather take a pay cut and keep my job than be faced with having no job and starting all over again at square one somewhere else in a tough job market (and that includes career fields other than flying). That's just my take though. I'm a SkyWest pilot and not aquainted with meaningless buzzwords such as "solidarity."

Like I said, hopefully someday I'll be out of this industry. But until then, I'd say remaining employed is better than not.

-Goose

Last edited:
icon21.gif

No, i can vouch for him. We flew together before he upgraded. A real stand up guy who happened to have a well paying career before he decided to pursue his dream. BTW, he had me rolling with laughter for four days. That is quite a feat!!!

ding! ding! ding!...we have a winner. this is spot on. most regional pilots are hired on at 23 or younger, its their first/only job other than flight instructor. the $16-$21hr they are thrown is twice what they were making instructing or bagging groceries. they still live at home, and have no expenses. they have no perspective whatsoever.

And what he said!

Good luck to all you guys and girls at xjt. At this rate who knows who is next. And just a side note, the Houston crews in CRW lately have been fun to hang out with.

Latest resources

Back