Express Jet Pilot says "NO" to scanner

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kharma,

A pilot could down an aircraft without a weapon of any kind. Searching them is a pointless waste of time.

We are the 'sheepdog'. Not the 'sheep'.

I do however agree with the other poster. What you do with your pets and livestock is best left to the privacy of your home :D

Very true, Egypt Air comes to mind. There are endless lapses in our security system. I can brain storm additional lapses with flight crews bypassing security as well. Going through a metal detector or letting TSA see an image of my love pump doesn't seem like a large price to pay in order to save lives and protect our livelihood.

Thank goodness penicillin still kills sheep syphilis................

I Agree with Him & Applaud his GUTS (a rarity in pilots these days)

I Agree with Him & Applaud his GUTS (a rarity in pilots these days)
http://jalopnik.com/5667976/pilot-wh...yline=true&s=i

Pilot Who Refused Full-Body Scan Railed Against TSA For Months

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...340x_tsa_1.jpg"ExpressJet pilot Michael Roberts' refusal of an airport full-body scan has drawn an outpouring of support among pilots. But it's a step Roberts has considered since July, when he railed against the Department of Homeland Security's "tyranny."
ExpressJet pilot Michael Roberts got into a standoff with security at Memphis airport on Friday when he refused to be screened using either the full-body scanners being rolled out at U.S. airports by the Transportation Security Administration or a frisking by TSA agents.
Roberts' stance has touched a nerve among other pilots - people used to being trusted with the safety of ferrying thousands of people. One Southwest Airlines captain urged his colleagues to take action as well:
Everybody else...don't let Michael stand alone on this. This affects all of us. On the one hand, it's ridiculous. What would I even DO with a weapon if I managed to get one on the plane? I already HAVE the plane?...And on the other hand, it's not only a violation of our rights, it's a big potential health risk. Seriously, do you want to go through an X-Ray machine three or four days a week for the next twenty odd years? Yeah, THAT's perfectly safe....
Until last Tuesday, I had never heard of a pilot being asked to go through the full body scanner. Then I was. I refused, and they were grumpy about it, but I just went through the metal detector, and that was it. Next day, Michael has this happen. How many days before the rules change, and we no longer have an option? How many months before they demand something more onerous...and all the abused hookers just go along with it? Where do you draw the line. I say here.
But Roberts' decision wasn't a spur of the moment call. Back in July, Roberts was already exercised over the prospect of not just scanning, but patdowns for pilots, telling members of a pilot's forum that "not only will I not hesitate to delay a flight, I may end up walking away from the job and air travel altogether if necessary." He also said "you'd have to have your head buried completely in the sand to believe that the Dept. of Homeland Security really gives two shiits (sic) about preventing terrorism."
I cannot consent to nor accept unwelcome physical contact any more than having images of my naked body being viewed by government personnel as a routine part of my daily commute to work. If I'm not under arrest or a suspect in some known threat to air transportation security, the feds have no grounds to invade my privacy and personal space in this way. It is an outrage beyond any measure of reason, an assault on liberty, a gross overreaching of the state, and a very significant step on the road back to the sort of tyranny many of our forbears and the founders of this society fought and often died to escape and abolish.
In August, after the Transportation Security Administration announced expanded security for pilots, Roberts wrote a letter to his bosses, which he attempted to get other pilots to sign as well. He also wrote to the Memphis Commercial Appeal last month, raising the "virtual strip search" term and questioning the qualifications of TSA agents:
Federal airport security guards are often unskilled, entry-level responders to help-wanted ads affixed to pizza boxes. Perhaps novice agents lack the perspective to grasp the full implications of their work. Forgive them, for they know not what they do. But please don't show them your naked body. Don't let these strangers put their hands on you or your children. Their abuse protects no one.
So far, there's no update on Roberts' status with ExpressJet.
Send an email to Justin Hyde, the author of this post, at [email protected]. "

What will public opinion be after the next "Fruit-of-the-Boom" bomber literally blows his a$$ off and downs an airliner? That dude over Christmas proved that his method worked at bypassing security, all they have to do is improve the execution.

You want to be a sheep, go ahead and be a sheep. Just don't blame the sheep dog for protecting you and don't come crying when the wolf comes on your plane.

The problem with that is that the shoe-bomber and underwear bomber were thwarting security overseas, not in the USA. They need to install these machines, and have the TSA at all airports that have passengers bound for the US. Have all US-bound passengers screend by TSA, with TSA procedures and equipment OVER THERE.

They have US citizens doing Customs and Immigration at airports in Canada. They should use some of that bloated federal budget to roll it out at airports across Europe.

You seem to be confusing PILOTS with sheep.
One name you seem to have forgotten: Gameel el-Batouty.

Exactly. I'm all for them screening passengers, but isn't it about time common sense entered where crew is concerned?

A pilot snapping and going psycho is a little different than a group of at least 19 men training for years to take over aircraft and fly them into buildings. Are you absolutely certain that the next attack won't come from a high jacker wearing a crewmember uniform?

What does an x-ray machine do to prevent that Kharma Police?

All a pilot has to do is push forward on the controls. Game over. Hell just stomp the rudder on takeoff.

What does an x-ray machine do to prevent that Kharma Police?

All a pilot has to do is push forward on the controls. Game over. Hell just stomp the rudder on takeoff.

I addressed this on a different thread but what stops you from driving your car into a bus stop full of kids or into a super market? Why not rob a bank if you are low on funds? A dude cut you off on the highway?, go follow him home and pop a cap in his a$$! There are pilots that have snapped and nothing will ever prevent this from happening again. In the 121 world I only know of three such instances (Silk Air 185, Egypt Air 990, FedEx 705) that have resulted in the loss of life.

A highjacker that has planned to end his life on a particular day and time with a specific objective that the TSA will hopefully find in time is a different situation. Remember, the TSA has to guess the methods that will be employed by the terrorists, the highjackers of course already know. I mentioned this earlier, are you certain that the next attack won't be carried out with attackers wearing crewmember uniforms?

Deleted by me, because Kharma makes no sense wrt. the issue of pilot screening!

Last edited:
A pilot snapping and going psycho is a little different than a group of at least 19 men training for years to take over aircraft and fly them into buildings. Are you absolutely certain that the next attack won't come from a high jacker wearing a crewmember uniform?
I'm absolutely certain that if it does, he won't need anything that could be detected by any type of airport security checkpoint.

In the end, the real agenda here is to create an environment perceptually free of bias where flight crew are subjected to the same harrassment (secuirty) as travelers. All to send a message that, superficially, everyone gets checked for contraband. No exemptions. So, terrorists, "beware." This seems to me the most evident reasoning behind it.

This is why CREWPASS NOW!! Although it will probably not happen since they are still arguing over pictures on our licenses after 6 years

Latest resources

Back