Express Jet Pilot says "NO" to scanner

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (CBS/AP) — A Tennessee pilot who says he’s tired of being manhandled by security agents is waiting to see if he will lose his job because he refused a full body scan.
ExpressJet Airlines first officer Michael Roberts was chosen for the X-ray scan Friday at Memphis International Airport. The Houston-based pilot says he also refused a pat-down and went home.
The 35-year-old Roberts told The Commercial Appeal newspaper he wants to go to work and not be “harassed or molested without cause.”
Transportation Security Administration spokesman Jon Allen says a person was turned away after refusing to follow federal security procedures but declined to say if it was Roberts, citing privacy considerations.
Roberts says he has safety concerns, but called TSA a “make-work” program that doesn’t make travel safer.
“I just kind of had to ask myself ‘Where do I stand?’ I’m just not comfortable being physically manhandled by a federal security agent every time I go to work,” he told the Commercial Appeal.
Earlier this week, CBSNewYork reported that full-body scanners have not yet been installed at New York City area airports, despite plans that were in place to have them installed at Newark Liberty International, John F. Kennedy International, and LaGuardia airports by September.
The Transportation Security Administration told The Star-Ledger of Newark the installation is complex and the scanners would arrive “in the coming weeks.”
Passengers who prefer not to be scanned can choose to be patted down and pass through a metal detector.
LISTEN: WCBS 880′s Levon Putney with Rep. Bill Pascrell
TSA spokesman Ann Davis says passengers are no less safe. She says the scanners are designed to be faster and less physically intrusive than metal detectors and pat-downs.
The TSA has installed 259 scanners at 59 airports nationwide.

Enough is enough.

I submit that all aircrew should go through the secondary screening to gum up the works, and show the pax how retarded this has become. If enough of us do it maybe the airlines will weigh in to keep their crews from showing late.

Public opinion has turned and most people now resent the over-intrusive nature of the TSA. Now is the time to stand up and put an end to it. I'm emailing my senator right now.

Enough is enough.

I submit that all aircrew should go through the secondary screening to gum up the works, and show the pax how retarded this has become. If enough of us do it maybe the airlines will weigh in to keep their crews from showing late.

Public opinion has turned and most people now resent the over-intrusive nature of the TSA. Now is the time to stand up and put an end to it. I'm emailing my senator right now.

What will public opinion be after the next "Fruit-of-the-Boom" bomber literally blows his a$$ off and downs an airliner? That dude over Christmas proved that his method worked at bypassing security, all they have to do is improve the execution.

You want to be a sheep, go ahead and be a sheep. Just don't blame the sheep dog for protecting you and don't come crying when the wolf comes on your plane.

What will public opinion be after the next "Fruit-of-the-Boom" literally blows his a$$ off and downs an airliner? That dude over Christmas proved that his method worked at bypassing security, all they have to do is improve the execution.

You want to be a sheep, go ahead and be a sheep. Just don't blame the sheep dog for protecting you and don't come crying when the wolf comes on your plane.

The role of the sheep dog is to protect the sheep. If the sheep dog violates the sheep in the name of protecting them from the wolves, then what is the difference between the sheep dog and the wolf? The job of the sheep dog is tough. It is a fine line that they have to walk. But that is the burden of choosing to be a sheep dog. That is what the sheep dog is paid to do. That is what makes the job of sheep dog rewarding. The sheep dog is no better than the wolf if the sheep dog takes the easy way out.

I don't get it. The TSA knows that I can pass through there security ALL DAY LONG at any airport and still take over the plane right? Its called I am a Pilot in front of a locked door? If I remember corectly on 9-11 the bad guys had box cutters, killed a few FA's and got into the unlocked Flight Deck and killed the Pilots and then became Pilots themselves? Tell me where my 1st grade logic is wrong here. The only thing I would need to do in this case would be to takeout the FO right?

The role of the sheep dog is to protect the sheep. If the sheep dog violates the sheep in the name of protecting them from the wolves, then what is the difference between the sheep dog and the wolf? The job of the sheep dog is tough. It is a fine line that they have to walk. But that is the burden of choosing to be a sheep dog. That is what the sheep dog is paid to do. The sheep dog is no better than the wolf if the sheep dog takes the easy way out.

Big difference, the sheepdog's mission is to protect the sheep not kiss the sheep's a$$. If a few sheep feel that their hoofs are being stepped on then so be it. Better to be a pissed off sheep then a dead sheep. The sheep may hate the sheep dogs intrusiveness but when the wolf comes, they run behind the sheepdog. At the end of the day the sheep rest easy knowing that the sheepdog is watching over and protecting them.

The wolf has one goal, kill the sheep using whatever means possible. The wolf was born to kill, trains to kill, wakes up in the morning thinking of killing and then kills without mercy. The only thing stopping him is the sheep dog.

So, my fellow sheep, let the f-ing sheepdogs do their job.

Wait, so now you're saying that TSA agents are as smart as Sheep Dogs?

Wait, so now you're saying that TSA agents are as smart as Sheep Dogs?

No, I'm saying we are a nation of dumb sheep that can't remember the names of wolfs like, Ramzi Yousef Mohamed Atta, Richard Reid, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab and Faisal Shahzad.

Last edited:
I don't get it. The TSA knows that I can pass through there security ALL DAY LONG at any airport and still take over the plane right? Its called I am a Pilot in front of a locked door? If I remember corectly on 9-11 the bad guys had box cutters, killed a few FA's and got into the unlocked Flight Deck and killed the Pilots and then became Pilots themselves? Tell me where my 1st grade logic is wrong here. The only thing I would need to do in this case would be to takeout the FO right?

If you are the assigned pilot and you want to crash the plane, there is nothing, nowhere, ever, that can stop you. No body scanner, no metal detector, no ID check, no Crewpass, nothing, except maybe a Vulcan mind meld.

The Theater of Security is in place merely to keep out anybody that does not belong within the security area. It has nothing to do with intentions since we do not have any probes, anal or aural, that are capable of reading minds with today's technologies. In order to gain entrance into the security area, you first show reason to be in that area, and you either prove you are bringing nothing of harm into that area or you prove that you are employed within that area.

First, a person demonstrate a reason to be in the secure area by having a boarding pass. Next, a passenger will then be screened to prove to TSA that they are not carrying anything of harm. Easy enough.

For the crewmembers, you demonstrate a reason to go through security with your badge. That crew badge is your boarding pass. Now, you can either be screened or you can prove employment. Since the TSA does not have any means of verifying your employment, you will then be placed under the same criteria as a passenger and screened in order to gain access. Now, if you have a SIDA badge, then the employment is proven since the SIDA badge was issued by the airport authority to employees. Therefore, you can just swipe thorugh your own door with the SIDA badge and secret pin code and enter without being screened. Or if you don't have a SIDA, but the airport authority allows it, you can prove your employment to a ticket agent, who verifies your ID against her own information, and then allow you access through operations without being screened. If the airport has Crewpass, then the TSA can verify for themselves against their own list, that the badge and the smiling face, do represent a person that is rightfully employed here, thus allowing you access without screening.

No, I'm saying we are a nation of dumb sheep that can't remember the names of wolfs like, Ramzi Yousef Mohamed Atta, Richard Reid, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab and Faisal Shahzad.

Hey man, don't involve all of us in your sick little twisted sharade.

Latest resources

Back