• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Express Jet hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The chief pilot told a friend 1500/500 was a hard limit, no exceptions. That should lower as they go through the initial candidates.

They will be hiring for the forseeable future : ) Probably 300+ this year... Just a guess...

I doubt they will keep that minimum forever. Frankly I think its silly from a managment standpoint. Yes 1500 hour guys have SOME experience over someone with between 700-1000 hours but someone who has 2000 of dual given is still going to be learing just as much as someone with 1000 hours. The 121 environment is very different from 91 CFI'ing or even 135 charter. Not harder, just different and there is alot to learn. Anyway, the low time guys arent going anywhere else, they still have to build time. The ones with 3000 hours only need to build another 2000 and they are in range of the LLC's or Majors. We've already proved that we can hire guys with 500-1000 hours and they become fine jet pilots. I say the mins should be somewhere between 700-1000 with 100 to 200 hours of multi.

Good luck to all, Even though we are in contract negotiations, I wouldnt want to work anywhere else (50-seat jet wise anyway). The people here are great, the company is great and once we get a contract that reflects the work we do (I have no doubt we will)....the whole place will be outstanding.

Mr Hat said:
Good luck to all, Even though we are in contract negotiations, I wouldnt want to work anywhere else (50-seat jet wise anyway). The people here are great, the company is great and once we get a contract that reflects the work we do (I have no doubt we will)....the whole place will be outstanding.

Mr. Hat

Put down that glass of koolaid man. :D

Last edited:
Air Biscuit said:
When do you see this happening?

When most of the "good airline" operating metrics are around 99% and the "bad airline" metrics are close to 0% and only 50% of the line pilots vote on contract language?

Never.

But that's just my two shillings.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Right around the corner guys, if you think ExpressJet is bad, try talking to some of the other "regional" guys out there. We really dont have it as bad as most. That being said there is always room for improvement, especially at a small jet operator where the old school way of running a regional mom and pop airline are still prevelent.

No kool aide here. You ought to know me better than that. I still expect a great contract, I still plan on doing away with the regional jet/major airline pilot double standard and I will not accept any less. Reading our union materials, I have high hopes. Some very interesting events have happened especially regarding our compensation openers. If you read them, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Just because we are in contract negotiations and are expecting vast improvements over our existing antiquated contract doesnt mean that I have to hate my job. I hate to say it but if you hate your job now, your in for a long life of hating your industry. This stuff will continue to happen throughout your career. Our negotiaions have been very mellow with little fighting on either side. It doesnt always happen that way, ask any Mesaba pilot. I have and continue to stand strong for what is right and fair.

Mr Hat said:
Right around the corner guys, if you think ExpressJet is bad, try talking to some of the other "regional" guys out there. We really dont have it as bad as most. That being said there is always room for improvement, especially at a small jet operator where the old school way of running a regional mom and pop airline are still prevelent.

No kool aide here. You ought to know me better than that. I still expect a great contract, I still plan on doing away with the regional jet/major airline pilot double standard and I will not accept any less. Reading our union materials, I have high hopes. Some very interesting events have happened especially regarding our compensation openers. If you read them, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Just because we are in contract negotiations and are expecting vast improvements over our existing antiquated contract doesnt mean that I have to hate my job. I hate to say it but if you hate your job now, your in for a long life of hating your industry. This stuff will continue to happen throughout your career. Our negotiaions have been very mellow with little fighting on either side. It doesnt always happen that way, ask any Mesaba pilot. I have and continue to stand strong for what is right and fair.

Mr Hat is exactly correct. After working in the union for a little while I can comfirm that we indeed have it really good here as far as pilot managment relationships go. I know for a fact that we have one of the lowest grievence rates of any "express" carrier out there. A lot of my coworkers might disagree, but they really have no idea how bad others have it. This is one time that Mr Hat hit the nail on the head.

Calling in the "recruiter"

I did my online app on 12/25 (not an exciting holiday) and they told me to call them within 24 hrs. So I called the next day and got the same questions as everybody else and the "a senior recruiter will contact you in 60 days." Is this new that you call them now instead of them calling you at some odd time.

Also wanted to put my two bits in on the minimuns. I understand the low time guys feeling qualified. I felt like I was qualified at 500-1000 hours aswell. I probably could have handled right seat in a jet, but I am better pilot now and it will be even easier now that I have 2000 hours. So to all those low timers who think they should get interviews I say GET IN LINE. The line starts with experience. Many of us wanted interviews at a 1000 hours too, but then came 9/11. We all have to suffer through this and there is a pecking order, and it is based on experience i.e. (those who probably have been suffering the longest). So keep on flying those C172's around the patch and your time will come too.:cool:

I understand the low time guys feeling qualified. I felt like I was qualified at 500-1000 hours aswell. I probably could have handled right seat in a jet, but I am better pilot now and it will be even easier now that I have 2000 hours.
"Qualified" a very interesting word. One thing many junior pilots dont know or forget is that "Qualified" or "Experienced" are relative terms. They are based on the pilot supply and demand market. Pilot experience does not get a pilot a job or an interview, demand does. Someone with 800 hours 4 years ago was ready for a job with ExpressJet, now the demand has shifted and it takes 1500 hours. They dont really think about who can or can't handle a jet, you can all handle a jet. It wont take any less time either, a jet is faster and you have to think ahead of it. Its not hard, just takes time to get you're brain in that mode. The really big difference is the 121 enviornment where you will be running checklists, using the QRH and memorizing certain things. Its very regimented and thats the part that takes the most getting used to. I dont care how much time one has, if you havent flown in the 121 enviornment, thats going to be the one you have to get used to, not necessarily the jet.

Here's all you have to know about the E145, dont fly it around big thunderstorms unless you can see them or have a BIG hole to get around. Otherwise, memorize limitations, memory items and fly you're approaches. Not hard. And I'd be willing to bet, just based on history that any 500 hour guy can do it. Hell, I cant wait to fly with new hires again regardless of their time! They all fall for the same jokes!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back