• Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well said boiler...

How many hours does the typical naval
aviator have when they go to qualify
on a carrier?

I don't know, but I bet it is hella less
than most regional mins!

someone says minimums too high!

Yeah right, I think minimums should be at least 2500 total with 500 +multi and they also should look quality of flying!

Like if someone has 1500 hours banner towing time, compared flight instructor time! Or Turbine SIC time compared multi-engine PIC. Compays like these hires too low time people!

Yes most of people can do the job, but thats not all what is there!

What about if something goes wrong. At least I dont want to fly even as an passenger on airplane where F/O has less than 1000 hours or at least no real PIC time!

Company's should be real and get rid of all bridge programs and other ways to get low time pilots!

Only way how this career is nice and stays nice if everyone have to pay their dues!

I used to agree that hiring someone with 800-900 hours was just fine... back when I had 800-900 hours.

I received a B.S. degree in Aviation. I was just at that point of starting to send out a few resumes with about 600 hours on Sept 11. Obviously nobody came calling, so I instructed more for the next year and a half. Prior to Sept 11, I hadn't really considered flying freight. I just planned on going straight from CFI to FO. Well, after two years of instructing, I got a job flying night frieght in piston singles and twins.

This job has really showed me that I had a lot to learn. Practicing V1 cuts in a sim is all fun and games when you can laugh about it after you botch one. Flying around partial panel in the snow by yourself in the middle of the night in the actual airplane is a whole lot different. Talking to your students about how to avoid thunderstorms is a whole lot different than when you actually have to fly through them because the freight has to get there.

I'm still a relatively inexperienced pilot at 2100 hours. By no means do I consider myself some salty aviator who's seen it all. Far from it, in fact. But I do realize now how green I was just a year ago. This freight job has allowed me to experience quite a few situations that I never would have at a flight school, whether as a student or CFI.

Now I agree that 1500 hours should be a bare minimum to work at an airline, perhaps even higher. It was only 5 or 6 years ago that a lot of regionals required 2500 total and 500 multi. I think that night freight flying should be everyone's stepping stone to a regional just like the regionals are to the majors.

I know it sounds as if I agree with the higher minimums only because I now meet them and they reduce my competition for a job, but that is not the case. I agree with them because now I know better. I'm much more aware how much I don't know yet. No amount of or quality of training can replace experience.

All that being said, I was on my honeymoon last week and so I didn't fill out the app until yesterday, Thu Dec 18. I have 2100 and 600. 200+ in the last six months. I got to all screens including gender and the de-icing PA. I have not received a call.

Just got a call back today after missing the first one on Tuesday. Had the same questions. I'm glad they followed up as I was starting to think that missed call I had on Tuesday might turn out to be the most important call I ever missed!!!

Got the same info as the others, that they will call again within 60 days to schedule a face to face interview.

My times are 3000TT, 1500 Multi, 500 turbine, 200+ last 6mths.
But they only know that I have 2000+ tt, 1000+ multi.

Good luck everybody.

Got the call this afternoon. Luckily I had the de-icing script in my car. Asked the same questions as everyone else and was told I would be contacted in 60-90 days...

Could someone post the current payscales? Thanks.

My times...2600TT/590Multi

I got the call today after filling out the app Sunday night. They called right in the middle of my drive home from work...quite a surprise! They asked the hard landing question and the thunderstorms at your destination one. I stumbled a bit through them since I wasn't expecting the call at that time, but I think I answered ok. Thats all they asked...no read back of the statement I copied and have been carrying around. Don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. He ended the call by taking my SSN and saying that if they had any more questions, a senior recruiter would contact me. ???? Any guesses on what that means??

I have 2750TT, 2460 ME, 2360 Turbine and 475 PIC turbine. 475 last 6 months. Hope they call back for an interview.

Last edited:
For all of yall that feel strongly about having at least 1500 total. I have over 500 multi and 300 turbine flying as SIC in an SA227 but do not have 1500 total. I can go out and split the cost of a Cessna 152 with someone, right seater logging PIC as safety pilot and left seater technicaly "under the hood";) flying around the neighborhood for a few hundred hours. But does that make me any more competent than I am now?? No way!!

Its a fact that United had been hiring 300 hour pilots for a time. The best pilot should get the job, and the most important thing I feel is quality.

Filled out the info on monday and just got off the phone with them.

Questions were a little different though.
1. Hard landing (same one)
2. You are scheduled for a 1hr 30 min flight to your destination and there are thunderstorms currently at your destination...what would i do? (this was worded different than the original thunderstorm question...much easier to answer this time) All they wanted to hear was that you would FIRST consult with airline dispatch. I am glad i thought of that first. Right after that i started yapping about departing and he stopped me and just reaffirmed i would talk with dispatch first.
3. How many times have i been late towork within the last 12 months? YOU BETTER KNOW HOW TO ANSWER THAT ONE!!!!!!!

then got the same upgrade of 2-3 years speach and if i was still interested. Then he asked for my SS# and said from now on this is what i will use instead of the reference #. Said they would call shortly with another interview time from a senior interviewer.

Oops, almost forgot, i had to read the script also after question 3.

My times are 3700tt, 3260 multi, and 560 turbine.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, I said that would would have current weather, check with all enroute reporting stations and have an alternate with weather above mins in case of not getting in at my destination. Never even thought of consulting dispatch...granted where I work dispatch just kinda tosses ya the weather and says go check it out...not much to consult. Oh well, hope I still hear something.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back