• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Express Jet hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
11th Hour I feel your pain. I too applied on Monday and have yet to get a call. I don't think I will get one either. 4200TT, 3000ME, 2500 ME turbine, but 0 time in the last 6 months. Oh well....guess that's life...good luck to all that got the call!

FWIW...

for the people who are qualified and got to the page with the script but have not received a call....

Call the number on the application - you have nothing to lose and everthing to gain! Dont wait for them to call you!

Good luck!

Hi!

WHen I was trying to get back into flying, I had a hard time because of the time thing.

Eagle called me, but when they found out I wasn't flying, no interview. I had some connections at Skyway who reviewed my quals-no interview. I heard nothing from CoEx, I assume because I wasn't flying.

Comair said I was VERY highly qualified, and as soon as I had been flying for 6 months they said to call and I'd get an interview right away. I then found a job flying jumpers, but Comair said that didn't count.

Keep on plugging away, and it will work.

I eventually got in a pool, and then got a class date with another airline. Now I don't have to worry about recency if I am going to apply somewhere.

CLiff
DTW

Re: FWIW...

d.fitz said:
for the people who are qualified and got to the page with the script but have not received a call....

Call the number on the application - you have nothing to lose and everthing to gain! Dont wait for them to call you!

Good luck!

So if you get to the script, you are deemed qualified?

atpcliff said:
Comair said I was VERY highly qualified, and as soon as I had been flying for 6 months they said to call and I'd get an interview right away. I then found a job flying jumpers, but Comair said that didn't count.CLiff
DTW

Just when I thought I heard everything!! Flying jumpers doesnt count??? What did they say counted? And here Ive been spending money hand over fist to rent an Aztec to stay current and proficient and Ill end up being told it doesnt count.:rolleyes:

Oh the insanity!!!!

Flight time that counts?

So I suppose dragging rags and trying not to hit the jumpers while picking up and dropping doesn't count as real flight time either.

I applied Wednesday, have the mins and 300 hours in the last 6 months.....no call.

Captain X

Thanks for all of your info. That is definitely a big help. Any of you guys have a prediction on where the new pay will fall in regard to other regionals/nationals? Any plans for other equipment in the future, or sticking with only the jungle jets? Any more info you guys can pass along would surely be appreciated. Also if there is any interview gouge. I know they haven't interviewed for awhile, just wondering if the old stuff still applies. Thanks for all the help.

box

d.fitz said:
with the new contract - the number I heard for a 3rd year FO are about 35k a year.... and about 85k for a 5th year captain...

Can anyone "in the know" second that...

Compensation negotiations are ongoing. Only those internal to the NC, MEC, and special ALPA committees have seen any of the pay proposals or counter proposals so far. Pay rates have not been released to the pilot group as they have not been agreed to between the company and the NC yet.

Let's just say that ALPA's opening compensation proposal was..............VERY AGGRESSIVE.

Of course it is a negotiation and by it's very nature where you end up depends (in part) on how willing people are to get it. It also depends on economics (real ones) to a large part.

Our pilot group is pretty unified so hopefully we'll mirror the fine image that our brothers and sisters at Comair did.

As you may know, ExpressJet is the sole source of small-jet feed for the 3 CAL mainland hubs thru 2007. Management is currently looking for opportunities to feed other carriers. Of course, with our labor costs in flux right now it makes it difficult for them to scure a deal. Our mechanics are, and our FAs will soon be, in contract negotiations.

Regarding larger equipment -- more than one company manager has made "off the cuff" comments about larger equipment but there is nothing official in the works as far as we know. The concensus of the pilots is that larger equipment is inevitable but only time will tell.

Hope that helps a little bit more.

ATRCA said:
I hope those mins are not correct. I think they're to high. We all know that well trained pilots with much less time can do the job.
Being able to "do the job" is a small part of being a pilot. It's doing the job when everthing goes wrong that makes for a good airline pilot. Passengers depend and demand that the people flying them from point A to point B have not only the qualifications but also the experience to handle any situation that arises enroute. The Captains responsibility should not be to babysit a new low time F/O. I have seen it happen over and over again. Is that the new F/O's fault? No, not really, but the company has to set a limit, and 1500 is a descent minimum. Now I know many of you went to "Aviation" based college, and had some hiring program with a Regional Airline, but that does not necessarily make you ready to do the job. Many wash-out on the interview sim ride. But many do go on to be excellent aviators given enough time in the right seat with enough patient Captains in the left seat.

Just don't be in too big of hurry to get into an airline. What you don't know can kill you.

I personally think that less than 1500 hours has not given a pilot a chance to hone their skills to a point of being ready to fly 50+ passengers around at 500mph at 35000 ft.

But, "You don't know what you don't know."

Most pilots well trained or not, don't know there @ss from a hole in the ground till at least 1500 hrs. If you think otherwise, then you are simply not being truthful with yourself. After you get your certificates the real training begins. That is when you truly learn what flying is all about.

OldManPilot,

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with what you say, but what about the European and Asian airlines that take people ab-initio and after 350-400hrs put them into the right seat of an A320 or A330? I don't see too many of those as smoking holes in the ground. And I wouldn't imagine the captains on those airplanes enjoy babysitting a moron any more than a US captain.

Experience certainly works in your favor, and I would agree that your REAL training begins after you get those certificates and start flying for hire. However, if I have 500hrs and pass the ground school and sim ride, then I am considered to be just as proficient as that 3000hr guy who has been hauling checks in a Baron for three years by both the training department and the FAA.

Quality of training is the key. At Purdue, we spend two semesters in the B727-100 sim and two semesters in the 727-200 simulator (with a new 738 sim on the way). We spend four semesters learning systems and procedures, and three semesters doing emergency procedures (V1 cuts, engine fires, failures of every major system, etc). Our sim instructors are all retired airline pilots or Air Force aircraft commanders.

I'll be the first to say some of the people in my class don't know up from down in the box, and that is due to lack of experience. However, I think its mildly unfair to discount one's flying ability simply by the sum in the ME or Total Time columns of their logbooks. I would love nothing more than get my Diploma on a Saturday and start Indoc the following Monday, but it isn't going to happen. If it does, I hope I'm given as fair a shot as anybody else.

Quality, not quantity, is what should be the determining factor. If you have 800 ME but 500 of that is sitting in the right seat of a Seneca logging multi PIC as an MEI but your buddy is really doing the flight in the left seat, how does that make you a better pilot?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back