• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Experiences commuting on ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please always check with the gate agents and grow a pair to take command of their tendency (as Continental nazis) to refuse jumpseaters and max out their revenue customers.

I've had nothing but great experiences on XJet. You do realize that you will never board before a revenue customer, right?

What reason are they giving you for being denied? I've commuted on Continental for almost 2 years and their crews are generally just as clueless as to whether or not I'm in the gate area.. but I've never been flat out denied unless there was a reason for it. If it's a weight restriction then sometimes you just can't take everyone... especially if you're flying out of someplace that has mostly old 145ER's with the lower zero fuel weight restriction. The Captain may have very well known of your presence and been unable to get you on.

This is one more reason to keep the CRJ's flying.........no weight restriction

This is not Continental, its Continental Express dba Express Jet, two totally different entities no matter how much they'd like to say otherwise.

They just want Continental to buy them back. They believe this is going to happen. I feel for them though...their boss is an idiot, see failed branded flying idea.

Yes, the weight restrictions are a bear at times since they fly the most restrictive of all regional jets but even if we never go up to the gate to see anyone and we sit inside the cockpit, I would think it would be the proper thing to ask if jumpseaters are there. We've taken jumpseaters on a restriction of weight. I've just told the gate agents how many revenues can get on and allow for room for one in the cockpit. That's helping a brother out. That's all.

I've heard this same complaint from jumpseating XJT pilots who have spoken poorly of the habits of their own airline with regards to this process. Its not new even to their own commuting pilots. I just want the practice stopped of using the excuse of going to get paperwork when all you have to do is ask the bridge driver, etc... if there are jumpseaters who need to go to work. They take priority with us.

I'm not sure where you commute out of, it must be somewhere close to IAH because that is where all the "ERs" are located. You wouldn't be complaining weight issues with the LRs/XRs.

Anyways...With regard to the weight restriction, that is determined before we get to the gate. It's just an estimated number of pax that we can take predicting our load and required fuel. It's going to come down to half weights and bags. But how do you suppose we bump rev passengers and get one jumpseater up in the cockpit? It's not going to happen.

It seems you have two issues. One being the weight restrictoins which sometimes the flight crew can help with. The other being notifying the flight crew that you are jumpseating. I'd suggest you do your best to become familiar to the gate agents. It must be a pretty small station that we're talking about (within 100miles of IAH), take some time to get to know the agents.

And really...100 mile drive, as unscenic as it may be, doesn't sound so bad. I'd probably chose that over flying to work in most cases. That's just me though.

This is one more reason to keep the CRJ's flying.........no weight restriction

Are you kidding me? You obviously have no clue then. When XJT lost some of the routes to CHQ in the beginning, they were returned to XJT within weeks cause the CHQ CRJ were weight restricted like crazy and the XJT XR's could take all 50 pax plus 2 jumpseaters, whereas the CRJ was weight restricted to like 40-42 in the winter on routes like IAH-MSP, etc.

The only problem I've ever had is with IAH gate agents working mainline CAL flights. They seem to think only CAL pilots can sit on the jumpseat. Hell, when I worked at XJet I had them tell me I couldn't jumpseat on CAL. If it's an outstation that XJet does the ground handling, I've never had a problem.

As a captain at XJT, I can reassure you that most of us will do almost anything to accommodate another crew member. Obviously you might have run into some bad apples, but they exist at every company, not just here. Weight restrictions and jumpseaters are usually never much of a problem except on those short hops in and out of IAH on the ER/EP's. If there is a weight restriction, many times the gate agent will just tell you that straight out, and if there is a revenue stand-by, remember they will always go before you and other non-revs. Also, it is your job to come down and talk to the crew if a weight restriction exists, it's not my job to come up to the top of every jetway just to make sure there are no jumpseaters, etc. considering the time constraints.

I appreciate the responses. All informative and useful. Glad I got to hear some of the other side. Thanks a ton. The weight restrictive ERs have been a problem. FWIW, I rode on a CRJ the other day that was weight restricted and still got on. Very inventive WB.

I have to agree that a leg like MSP-IAH is just asking for a restriction regardless of the regional airframe. Is CHQ still flying to MSP? Surely the CRJ-200 hasn't the fuel capacity to make that.

This is not Continental, its Continental Express dba Express Jet.

You implied that the agents are Continental employees. ExpressJet has very few stations where it's own employees are staffing the gates anymore.

two totally different entities no matter how much they'd like to say otherwise.

How is this comment in any way related to this thread?

We've taken jumpseaters on a restriction of weight. I've just told the gate agents how many revenues can get on and allow for room for one in the cockpit. That's helping a brother out. That's all.

So you're suggesting that we leave revenue behind so that you can make your commute? I'm sorry.. I've commuted halfway across the country for 3 years now and I've never expected anyone to do that for me.. nor will I do it for anyone else.

Last edited:
"So you're suggesting that we leave revenue behind so that you can make your commute? I'm sorry.. I've commuted across the country for 3 years now and I've never expected anyone to do that for me.. nor will I do it for anyone else."

Hmmm, sounds like the same old Continental kool-aid here. One of the reasons I would never work for that company. I avoid Houston and the arrogant employees like a case of herpes.

Latest resources

Back