Experiences commuting on ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FDAFCFI

Well I can't tell you how many rides we've given over the years to Express Jet pilots and flight attendants. Without a frown or a sniff or a comment, we've welcomed countless numbers of very demure and appreciative pilots and FAs into the cockpit for a request to jumpseat with us. The commuting guys who know what its like to commute on a daily basis are more than gracious when the return favor is needed, but I'm wondering about a few things...

Why is it that several of you guys don't ask about the one guy or gal who is sitting up near the gate with their rollaboard trying to make their commute to base? Most of the time all I've seen is flippant crews sitting in their ERs unaware that there may be a commuter up at the gate. Perhaps at those outstations of small stature you enter in through the ground and never see the gate area. I understand this. Please always check with the gate agents and grow a pair to take command of their tendency (as Continental nazis) to refuse jumpseaters and max out their revenue customers.

It isn't cool that for the last two weeks I have had to drive up to 100 miles at times to commute on an airline with more gracious and aware hosts. I'm frankly getting annoyed and am thinking about bringing this before your jumpseat committee to discover the problem with your general lack of interest in non XJT crews. Why is this the case?

I'm not talking about the rare accommodating crews I have the pleasure of riding with from time to time. You guys know who you are and are much appreciated. Thank you.

I'm talking about the non-commuters who push without ever knowing that a jumpseater is wanting a ride simply because some bumble headed gate agent likes to exert her measly sense of power over others. Stand up for your airline guys and change this practice. Commuters are depending on you.

I have jumpseated on expressjet several times back when they had the branded flying. Great experience every time. Once the captain listed me in the computer and got cass approval because the gate agent was busy.

The branded side is totally different. I agree; very amenable, mostly long term captains. I am just saying, before every push I ask if there are jumpseaters. ALWAYS. Because they are gate agents and get payed muy poco and want to call the shots. I have told agents point blank that its my decision to bring them on board, period.

Maybe if you were more attractive like myself. Chicks tend to notice the cute hunky types more readily. Perhaps some more time at the gym might help.

Maybe it's the hair sprouting from your ears. Hot chicks dislike ear hair.

Probably because CAL has this game they like to play with us called "Find the Release". Just about every other airline has the release printed at the gate or delivered to the gate or to the pilots when the door opens. Not CAL. The CA has to run down to ops which is located underneath a gate half way down the terminal to retrieve the paperwork themselves. On a 20 minute turn? Guess who's running to find the release? Think the ops people would maybe deliver it to the plane or the gate? Nope. It's messed up and that may be why you never see us at the gate. FYI

Probably because CAL has this game they like to play with us called "Find the Release". Just about every other airline has the release printed at the gate or delivered to the gate or to the pilots when the door opens. Not CAL. The CA has to run down to ops which is located underneath a gate half way down the terminal to retrieve the paperwork themselves. On a 20 minute turn? Guess who's running to find the release? Think the ops people would maybe deliver it to the plane or the gate? Nope. It's messed up and that may be why you never see us at the gate. FYI

What is the hurry?

:confused:

What reason are they giving you for being denied? I've commuted on Continental for almost 2 years and their crews are generally just as clueless as to whether or not I'm in the gate area.. but I've never been flat out denied unless there was a reason for it. If it's a weight restriction then sometimes you just can't take everyone... especially if you're flying out of someplace that has mostly old 145ER's with the lower zero fuel weight restriction. The Captain may have very well known of your presence and been unable to get you on.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back