• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Experiences commuting on ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Xjet has been nothing less than exceptional, even creative at times when getting me to work. Usually the issue isnt the crews, its the CO gate attendants. Get by them and make sure you let the crew know you there. When we first started CO flying we learned right away to see for ourselves if there was a J/S waiting.

As one who many times got 52 peeps on aircraft #'s 925-948, I find this thread slight bs. I don't what airline you work for, but there is no freaking way in 2009 any US airline will bump revenue and accommodate a jumpseater. Quite frankly any creditibility you had went out the window when you made that claim, which was well before the CAL sucks bs you started.

Express pilots have been great. I honestly can't think of one time where there was an issue.

thanks for the ride!

While it is rare to have a weight restricted flight on United, they will take a jumpseater in the cockpit when there is a weight restriction. I do not recall if this applies to other airline jumpseaters as well.

When I was at Express I would occasionally have a restriction that could not be resolved. When this did happen I would in person go to the jumpseater and explain the situation and apologize for not being able to do more. With that being said I would also delay flights until all weight was accounted for, and every person that could be was accomodated. I would use the delay code "Revenue Enhancement" and was never questioned for the tardy departures.

While it is rare to have a weight restricted flight on United, they will take a jumpseater in the cockpit when there is a weight restriction. I do not recall if this applies to other airline jumpseaters as well.

I remember this happening once with me, the CA explained that they included all seats in the cockpit as occupied in the BOW or something.

Only once did I have a problem with Xjet and that was a flight from CLE to RIC in an XR where everything in that area was like 200-1 so they had to take a ton of fuel. I totally understood and didn't blame them. Every single time the crew went above and beyond, even in the ERs. This guy is just full of it. And the CRJ-200 never weight restricted? HAHAHA ur kidding right? Try Pinnacles or Mesabas. If it's not weight, it's balance restricted. Those planes are terrible.

As far as jumpseating on XJT I think we go above and beyond for our guests...I know I do. I would argue that we have the least weight restricted flights of any 50 seat operator with our XR and LR fleet (we have very few EPs). We raised our landing structural weights considerably last year to the point that I have not had a weight restricted flight in over 6 months. Our electronic weight and balance program allows us greater ability to accommodate than a paper system like most carriers because changes are easy. We have opened up the FA jumpseat to CAL and XJT pilots if the cockpit JS is occupied...no as offline you can't take it but I can sure put the CAL or XJT employee in the FA jumpseat and have you up front if it gets you on.

Personally I really don't understand why the guy doesn't go up and introduce himself to the crew while they are making their way to the jetway. I always appreciate when a JS comes up to me an introduces themselves and makes sure I know they need a ride. I always go out of my way to get a JS'er on within legal limits. I'm not going to break any FARs or company regs to get you on...sorry. I wouldn't expect you to do that for me.

As far as CAL gate agents, yes there are occasionally problems however I tend to use the "shower them with kindness" approach whenever I anticipate their might be a problem. Ask them about their day, offer to go them a cup of coffee, smile, empathize a bit if they have a bunch of angry pax around...it's really not that hard. You have to understand that they are angry because you get a FREE ride in a seat that they don't have access to. They pay for their pass riding priveledges. I'm not justifying their attitude just explaining where they are coming from. I'm sure it's frustrating for them when they are traveling and a flight is full in the back and they watch you (who is not a CAL employee and lower on the priority list) walk down the jetway with a free seat.

If you have had a bad experience or two I am sorry, but I refuse to believe that we have an epedemic as you seem to indicate.

Last edited:
Only once did I have a problem with Xjet and that was a flight from CLE to RIC in an XR where everything in that area was like 200-1 so they had to take a ton of fuel. I totally understood and didn't blame them. Every single time the crew went above and beyond, even in the ERs. This guy is just full of it. And the CRJ-200 never weight restricted? HAHAHA ur kidding right? Try Pinnacles or Mesabas. If it's not weight, it's balance restricted. Those planes are terrible.

No I'm not kidding, typed in both A/C and have never left a jumpseater behind while on the 200 even with the heavy weights the FAA imposes on us. Can't say that for our 145's

I can say I was once weight restricted on a flight from CLE-DAL when we needed 12500lbs of fuel. I ended up taking everyone at the gate,(47) just made them find room for their bags in the cabin.

The branded side is totally different. I agree; very amenable, mostly long term captains. I am just saying, before every push I ask if there are jumpseaters. ALWAYS. Because they are gate agents and get payed muy poco and want to call the shots. I have told agents point blank that its my decision to bring them on board, period.

I have never flown with anybody that would do what you suggest. Sometimes we are a little busy turning an airplane, dealing with weight issues on an ERJ, and going pee pee to come up and pamper jumpseaters. But like I said, get past the gate agent, and I am sure you will be fine. It really isn't our job to come up to the gate after every flight to see if there are jumpseaters is it?

Latest resources

Back