Ex-United pilots weigh future without pension

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TAZ MAN said:
...In mid-December, the pilots union entered a tentative agreement with United to terminate the pilot pension plan this spring in exchange for other benefit perks, including larger contributions to a new retirement plan and other benefits. It left retired pilots like Bradley and Victor Shumaker of Williamsburg the most vulnerable...
Why was it necessary to terminate the retirees pensions? Was it absolutely necessary or was it a business decision based on priorities? Who's priorities? Seems like the priorities of the retirees were thrown under the bus.

Of all the obligations a corporation carries, keeping faith with its previous employees, the ones that 'brung ya' to the dance, would seem to be one of its foremost priorities as well as the honorable thing to do - since there wouldn't even be a current UA without the efforts over the past 60+ years of the previous UA employees.

Why was it necessary to terminate the retirees pensions?

Birdstrike, you raise a great question. Potential lenders or equity investors have indicated with no room for doubt there will be no exit financing with defined pensions. If you take a step back and look objectively at this industry, you might come to the same conclusion that companies with defined pensions cannot compete with companies without them. This is not even isolated to the airline industry, business models in this century don't include defined pensions. Sucks bigtime for those caught relying on one. The question is, will the mechanics, who didn't except cuts in 2002 and forced Ch11, and who just overwhelmingly rejected a 5% cut only to have the judge yesterday impose a 10% cut, walk off the job? I'd say there is a great chance.

Reminds me of the Delta pilot a few months ago who lamented the fact that his wife might have to get a job, and wondering if they could still afford their 400,000 dollar house

canyonblue said:
SWAdude, if you would have clicked on one of the links above you would have figured out that my post was a satire of what is more important than a UAL pilots pension, The Tsunami Relief Fund for people that have lost far more than even you. I know maybe you and some others on this board have been through furloughs and pay cuts but you are now employed at Southwest and have a bright future. These people have decades of ruin in front of them, perhaps they can't feel your pain of driving a car that is five years old as they are walking miles and miles to get to drinking water. And yes I have donated, and I know you probably have also. Yea, it sucks for anyone that counted on a retirement, but lets get a little fu(king perspective.

Canyonblue,

You might have meant well and even tried to be funny. It came accross
to me like you were making fun of the United guys loosing their
retirement. I hope that wasn't the case. Who knows where you and your
company will be in 20 years? Most of us went to the first carrier
that called and rolled the dice.
Dave B

Kids.....play nice and share your toys!!

Canyonblue and SWA Dude;

2 SW pilots going at it on a web board ????....with EACH OTHER ????
What would Herb say if he found out ??? I'm shocked....simply shocked;)

Can't you just feel the LUV:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR :cool:

PHXFLYR said:
Canyonblue and SWA Dude;

2 SW pilots going at it on a web board ????....with EACH OTHER ????
What would Herb say if he found out ??? I'm shocked....simply shocked;)

Can't you just feel the LUV:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR :cool:

Oh please. Like your work group agrees on everything. There are some thread running on AWA that has some bailing from your airline.

SWAdude would have probably said the same thing to anyone posting something as senseless as making fun at someones loss. Just cause they work at the same place doesn't mean its right.

TAZ MAN said:
SWAdude would have probably said the same thing to anyone posting something as senseless as making fun at someones loss. Just cause they work at the same place doesn't mean its right.

Actually I thought the post was so insensitive to the subject that I felt necessary to make sure that it is understood that isn't the point of view of most, but obviously not all, of the SWA pilots.

We know we are all in this together.

The healthier the industry, the more profits SWA can have. The unhealthier the industry is, the more our future can be in question.

Thinking anything else is again, ignorant.

Respectfully,

SWAdude :cool:

SWAdude.

Point very well taken. Nobody is immune from what's going on out there. And the losses and give backs suffered by one airline will set a nastry precedent for all the other airlines where pensions and other perks are still remaining.For anyone to think otherwise is foolish . Wishing it weren't so.....

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back