• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ex-Gulfstream International Airline pilot files complaint with FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
andyd, what airline do you work for? I want to make sure I never fly on one of your flights.

Tom Cooper (CEO) - SCAB and all around d0uchebag
Tom Hertfort (VP Flt Ops) - a flight attendant that plays airline manager in his spare time
James Bystrom (Chief Pilot) - universally regarded as one of the biggest d0uchebags you'll ever encounter. For example, his answering machine is a recording of him pretending to be talking to ATC :rolleyes:

This Captain will hopefully sue the ever loving sh-- out of these scumbags.

So did his replacement Captain take the flight or did he back him up and not fly also?

I can see his concerns, but I think this dude had a axe to grind from the beginning.

Company should have just called in a replacement pilot and would have only had to deal with this guy for 2 more days. Now they screwed themselves by firing him and having the FAA breathing down there necks, along with the most important thing- Negative Publicity.

(insert game show incorrect answer buzzer...here)

It is a common misconception but, no TCAS is required for RVSM operations. I get this question at least once a week, so you're not the only one that thinks this.

All you need is two independent altitude measurement systems, a functional autopilot system, an altitude alerting system, and a Mode C transponder.

While, from the dispatch perspective, he was kinda being a pain in the arse to refuse a deferred TCAS...I hope he sues them, too. I don't see how he wouldn't win.
A B1900 isn't going in RVSM anyways. Secondly what is he doing at Tprop CA and Gulfstream after 20yrs of aviation? Another strike for the non-union guys. I'd like to see that happen at another company.

Now because he's chosen this path and it's on his PRIA AND in the newspapers that he ran to the FAA crying foul.....Good luck getting past HR for the next job. He's better off flying cargo, 135 or ex-pat flying. He's pretty much screwed himself for 121 work here in the US. JUST my opinion here....and they are like as$holes, we all have them.

Wow, with a future generation of captains like you airlines will never have to fix anything again.

My feeling is your tune will change once you upgrade.

In regards to the captains time in aviation. He wanted to move back to Florida and GIA was the quickest route to do so for him. He was a captain for Skywest and wanted ot fly more (EMB120 Captain). Worked for GIA before pre and post 9/11, left shortly there after and paid his bills and then returned to aviation at Skywest. Honestly, this guy is not anal about MEL's or aything, so if he was concerned I would have to believe him. And if you havent flown through those training areas, do so and then come back and say he was wrong. More VFR traffic out there than you can imagine that doesnt talk to ATC. Any pilot flying out of Opa Locka, Tamiami or FT Lauderdale Exec can attest to that. The point of this is more that the Captain is not the final authority on safety for a flight as far as companies are concerned. He is not the first pilot to be fired for making a decision on safety that a company did not agree with. Any current or former freightdogs out there know this, "I am delaying the flight for the lines of embedded thunderstorms across my line of flight for 100 miles each side." Company response, "Go ahead checkout and go home, a standby pilot will fill in, we will call when we are ready for you to come back to work." Of course the call never comes and you have be fired in a subtly manner. I am hoping he wins any lawsuit involved, since it will make companies think twice about pushing the envelope and Monday night quarterbacking a decision made by the PIC. As far ar MEL's are concerned, the FAA shares blame since no operator can use a MEL unless its approved by the FAA MMEL list or a waiver is issued. Legal does not always = safe.

(insert game show incorrect answer buzzer...here)

It is a common misconception but, no TCAS is required for RVSM operations. I get this question at least once a week, so you're not the only one that thinks this.

We CANNOT dispatch into RVSM airspace with TCAS inop. Straight out of the MEL. So it depends..

If it is signed off then there is no argument. If it is mel'd, then the FAA has deemed it to be both legal AND safe. This guy does not have a legal leg to stand on.

You are made for airline management!!!

That was the argument from great lakes management trying to get a crew to fly a 1900 with the GPWS mel'd and the Flaps mel'd. So when you get close to the ground you would not get the "to low flaps" or "to low gear" call out. So what happened to this legal and safe flight?

They landed gear up in ORD. The FAA then decided that maybe it was legal to mel the gpws and flaps at the same time but it WAS NOT SAFE. And know they you cant mel those two items together.

Also I have refused flights in the 1900 because of the is tcas mel'd and mel'd pressurization and used the ORD accident as evidence that just because the FAA says it is legal does not mean it is SAFE.

Will there have to be a mid air with a 1900 and C-172 before the we dont allow these two items to be mel'd at the same time?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back