Ex-Gulfstream International Airline pilot files complaint with FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Amish RakeFight
Thanks for the information, assumed this story had more to it, but got tied up on this captains authority issue a bit, all good fun.

No affiliation with GIA, just my speculation, so I could be incorrect. It just seems preposterous that he would be fired a few days before a scheduled resignation over a flight he didn't want to take for arguably valid reasons.

It just seems preposterous that he would be fired a few days before a scheduled resignation over a flight he didn't want to take for arguably valid reasons.

My point exactly. With the information we have, the captain was acting reasonably and within his authority, and the firing was unjustified. Whether you or I would have made the same decision, makes no difference here.

JustaNumber I wll retract my statement on the MEL as there can be minor conflicts when several items are defective however this isn't an issue in this case.

Agreed, there can be system conflicts when several items are defective, however there is more to it than that, and I believe it is an issue in this case. Again, the reg. states: "When operating with multiple inoperative items, the interrelationships between those items and the effect on aircraft operation and crew workload will be considered." This opens the door to the captain being required to consider many other factors, such as altitudes flown, training areas, weather, darkness, etc. And of course, ten different captains in the same situation will make ten different decisions, but, as long as no one dies, it's all good.

I understand you're primarily second-guessing his analysis of the situation, which is fine, but since a superior pilot such as yourself can't be in all cockpits at once, I and the FARs say it's entirely appropriate for us to let whoever's butt is in the left seat make whatever decisions he thinks are reasonable. Can't you see the ramifications of not allowing all captains to make their own decisions (absolutely correct or not)?

Your points are valid and I honestly feel whether or not the facts are right in this case, the overall experience levels have a lot to do with this type of mentality, things are changing.

it doesn't take cajones to operate an aircraft safely

Bull, it certainly does take cajones to operate safely. When the right decision is also unpopular, it requires inner strength to act rightly in the face of opposition from pax, management, even fellow crewmembers. Flying with captains that are p****** is great right up until things start to go wrong, then prayer is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your points are valid and I honestly feel whether or not the facts are right in this case, the overall experience levels have a lot to do with this type of mentality, things are changing.

Thanks for seeing my points.:beer: I agree with you about overall experience levels declining--I just flew with a guy with poor cockpit discipline who had never even seen the inside of a cockpit just four years ago, and now he's upgrading!

That being said, in the case we are discussing, I don't think experience levels have anything to do with the situation. Supposedly that captain had 20 years of experience, so he probably knew what he was doing. I can't believe we're at 8 pages now, and no one has brought up what was really going on that night. Here's what that captain was REALLY thinking: "It's late, I'm tired, they've given me this piece of junk to fly with multiple deferrals, I've only got two days left at this ********, and now some idiot mechanic is trying to tell me 'Ops check good!' This is too much work and this is Bulls***!!"

Was the actual risk level of that flight greater than most? Yes. Were they probably going to die before reaching their destination? No. But the captain had reached his frustration limit, and so he put his foot down. And this is something I think he had every right to do; I know if I was a passenger, I wouldn't want to ride with an overly frustrated/overworked pilot, which in itself could be detrimental to safety. This is why I completely agree with the concept of Captain's Authority.

I know I've had to go to battle with the chief pilot's office before, and I'll do it again. I think it's a concept that keeps us all safer.

Last edited:
I know I've had to go to battle with the chief pilot's office before, and I'll do it again. I think it's a concept that keeps us all safer.
Ok, keep the shiney side up. :beer:

Latest resources

Back