• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ex-Gulfstream International Airline pilot files complaint with FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It appears the captain was well within his rights to be justified, but it also seems that he intended to stick it to GIA as well. Looks like GIA beat him to it. It's quite odd that all this transpired a few days before his scheduled resignation.

As is usual, there is definately more to this story than what the news reports.

For what, and on what basis, the aircraft was technically airworthy right?

Again, what airline do you work for so I can make sure never to fly on one of your flights? Any pilot that is dumb enough to believe legal = safe shouldn't be allowed to sit in an airplane, let along fly one with people in the back. The PIC is responsible for determining the safety of a flight, not some bureaucrat or some management dweeb that moonlights as a flight attendant.

In response to the previous poster who stated that, due to weather, there wouldn't be anyone in that particular practice area.... The proper way to phrase that is that there SHOULDN'T be anyone in that particular practice area, because we all know that for every one of us who is smart enough to not fly in deteriorating weather there is going to be someone who decides to go anyway. So while there shouldn't be any trainers or weekend warriors buzzing around down there, there just might be and in all likelihood there probably will be.

When it comes to mid-air collisions, it doesn't matter how big you are or how small the other guy is. You're both very likely going to lose (with a few notable exceptions in the past). I've flown in that mess called Florida airspace, and I've flown in the busy practice areas (not south Florida, but Orlando which is psychotic on its own and I would imagine is very similar). You may be watching your act and everyone around you may be doing the same, but all it takes is one bonehead who isn't paying attention and you've got flaming metal fragments raining down. Compound that with questionable weather and the poor visibility that comes with twilight flying and you've got a bad situation indeed.

I will not argue that a MEL will allow you to legally fly with something that is broken, because that is the entire purpose of an MEL. The problem with the document itself is that it does not account for two things: the environment into which you are going to operate, and any other deferrals that you might have at the same time. Sure, I can legally defer my boots and my prop heat and my windshield heat, but would I feel safe deferring all three at the same time and then flying through the soup in a Milwaukee winter?

TCAS isn't immunity from a mid air collision, but it does act as a great insurance policy to help protect you from that one guy you didn't/couldn't see coming. Being able to go up above the crowded airspace will exponentially increase your safety margin, especially if your aircraft is more massive and less maneuverable and flies faster than everything else down there. Having both of these taken out of the equation, with the added factor of low twilight vis and worsening weather, creates an unsafe situation.

In my humble opinion, I think this captain did the right thing. He felt that there was a safety of flight issue and did not want to put himself or his passengers or his copilot at risk. While it may be justified and perhaps even expected for management to argue with him for refusing the trip, I believe that firing the captain over a safety concern is absolutely uncalled for. The captain is the final authority for the safe operation of the flight, so says the regs. The aftermath of this that I can see coming is that this will send a message rippling through the ranks of the GIA pilots in that they had better take that trip if the boss says so, regardless of maintenance or MEL issues. Sooner or later, that may end up in a B1900 and a CE172 getting tangled up and making the prime time news.

Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to get my thoughts out there.

If the statements in the article are true, it's going to boil down to a factual dispute as to whether or not the TCAS was actually working.

andyd, what airline do you work for? I want to make sure I never fly on one of your flights.

Tom Cooper (CEO) - SCAB and all around d0uchebag
Tom Hertfort (VP Flt Ops) - a flight attendant that plays airline manager in his spare time
James Bystrom (Chief Pilot) - universally regarded as one of the biggest d0uchebags you'll ever encounter. For example, his answering machine is a recording of him pretending to be talking to ATC :rolleyes:

This Captain will hopefully sue the ever loving sh-- out of these scumbags.

PCL_128.....Dude, you must have a huge set of balls and a short memory. I've read all your posts on here for the past few months and you are quick to bite the hand that feeds you. You GET OFF on bashing Pinnacle and now GIA. Funny thing is dude, where did YOU come from...where are YOUR roots......Oh yeah....you were at BOTH Gulfstream AND Pinnacle and if it weren't for your experience at both of these carriers you would NOT be at Air Tran today. If it wasn't for Tom Cooper putting together GIA you would have had a much different career path. As for Tom Herfort being a former flight attendant...WHO CARES? He's was also a Captain at GIA for over 10 years before he moved into management...you failed to mention that. You love to bash Pinnacle at every opportunity but if they had not hired you, employed you and an given you an upgrade opportunity you'd...again.....NOT have ended up at Air Tran.

As for who I fly for? www.newglobalairline.com The "Blue" side of the house.

By the way, I am a big supporter of Alpa and a firm believer of clear and concise boundary's between managment and employees spelled out in a great contract. I have been managment (not airline) before so I do tend to think like one, however I have no desire to go down that path again, I enjoy being an employee without the respondsibilites beyond the cockpit. One thing that I was curious about Pcl...if your such a HUGE Alpa cheerleader then WHY did you sell yourself short and accept employment at a non-alpa carrier?

The replacement pilot did refuse the flight, up until he was threatened with termination.

Latest resources

Back