Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pdub has it right.

Last edited:
The initial delay may hurt us in the short term, but the airlines are already understaffed, and the hiring MUST continue. I'm not happy about it, but I don't think age 65 will be the career nuker everyone is forcasting it to be. Man I hope you are right. If the change had to come (which I do support...paradoxically), this is the best possible time for it. The airlines are already understaffed, hopefully, the career delay will be minimal.

911 already delayed our career by 5 years plus. All pilots at age 60 didn't get furloughed, didn't have to search for another job and didn't suffer like the rest. Oh they might have had to sell their 2nd boat...or house in the hamptons.
Age 65 just helps those that didn't save for retirement and hurts all those behind them. Not too mention the airlines now have 5 more years of paying their top wage earners. I understand that the airlines provoked the pilot shortage, with the low wages, crappy schedules, and lots of TAFB, so let them suffer for a change.

Woo Hoo age 65 is going through!!!!
5 more years at a regional for me!!!!
Sounds great!!!

Last edited:
This is not that bad, we are all going to wind up at NetJets where there is no retirement age anyways.

With them upping the age to 65yrs old, a lot of the "younger" FOs are gonna have to baby sit the age 60-65 captain. A lot can happen to the body and mind in that 5 year time frame. I am totally against flying past age 60. A lot of the guys I talk to that are getting close to age 60 dont want to fly past it. Hey, if you need to fly past age 60.. thats what the fractionals are for.

You mean like the Captains who are baby-sitting you now due to lack of experience ?

You mean like the Captains who are baby-sitting you now due to lack of experience ?

No one has to baby sit me.

I dont know if anyone has ever heard this before:

"Once a man twice a baby"

Same goes if pilots fly to age 65. When they first started out they had to be baby sat by a more experienced pilot, now when they hit age 60-65 and they aren't very sharp anymore they are gonna have to be baby sat again.

But anyways eagle, hows that 7year upgrade going?

Last edited:
No one has to baby sit me.

I dont know if anyone has ever heard this before:

"Once a man twice a baby"

Same goes if pilots fly to age 65. When they first started out they had to be baby sat by a more experienced pilot, now when they hit age 60-65 and they aren't very sharp anymore they are gonna have to be baby sat again.

But anyways eagle, hows that 7year upgrade going?

A babbling ridiculous fool...........but you're a kid, so I understand.

EVERY pilot over 60 is going to suddenly become incompatent ?

They have to pass a more difficult checkride then you twice as often. They're certainly no worse.

I know it hurts to have your career kicked in the balls, but you should get used to it, because in all likelihood, you sack is gonna be dented fairly often in this business.

The upgrade ?

Don't care as I upgraded 12 years ago..............$10K/month.

I just have to say... Who the hell wants to work to age 65?

I mean, I love flying. But who wants to work that long? (In a perfect world) I'd be long retired by that point.

The initial delay may hurt us in the short term, but the airlines are already understaffed, and the hiring MUST continue. I'm not happy about it, but I don't think age 65 will be the career nuker everyone is forecasting it to be.

True, it will normalize after the first batch goes through. But getting that initial group to 65 will take 5 years! On top of that, it will delay the average age of entry level pilots of the major airlines.

Every day this career path becomes less and less profitable.

True, it will normalize after the first batch goes through. But getting that initial group to 65 will take 5 years! On top of that, it will delay the average age of entry level pilots of the major airlines.

Every day this career path becomes less and less profitable.

I know this wouldn't be 100% but think about 5 years of no retirements.
5 Years of zero movement.
5 more years of reserve.
5 more years as an F/O.
5 more years at a regional
5 more years as a regional F/O
5 more years to wait to get on that widebody.

either way it's 5 more years of little or no movement no matter where you are.

Latest resources

Back