ERJ XJT PBS Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Part 2

ASA has had many months where the minimum line was 85-90 hours. So EVERYONE had to have that credit value to have a line awarded.
There have been some months where the window was high. However, the high credit windows were forced or induced by poor planning. You cannot decide to hire and train for the summer starting in May or June. Hiring requires training pilots already on the property for transitions and upgrades. You cannot have 25% of your current pilots “unavailable” for the busiest time of the year because they are in training through July. A better decision would have been to hire and train earlier, or not at all. This created the strains on the system. However, in the end, the flying will be covered. It is either built into lines with higher line values, or it is covered by extreme measures of extending, junior-manning, and flying the heck out of the Reserves.
By the way, this can also happen in line bidding. If memory serves me correctly, in the recent past, legacy XJet was way understaffed by the previous management. This created mayhem. Your pilots were flying the limits, with all methods employed in extending and junior-manning, and also cancelling flights in record numbers. Thus, this is the reason for all the hiring over the last year. Has it gotten better? Personally, under either of the above circumstances, I would rather pick my poison and have the time placed on my line to the point I have no utility. Some would rather get extended or junior-manned at premium pay. I prefer some degree of predictability and would reluctantly prefer to have a pre-set schedule.
Meanwhile pilots on vacation….junior pilots were only required to work 65 hours of credit. Since the system cannot look ahead and see the end result people running the software has to select different methods of assignment called “sort biases”. So we’re leaving it up to a human being to determine what is best. Because in each sort bias a bidder will get different assignments (unless they are very very specific).
Everyone gets a vacation. Most pilots want one in the Summer when their kids are out of school. Our pilots wanted to be able to extend their vacation. I am sure from what I have heard, so do yours. But yes, the flying has to be covered by the remaining pilots. How does it work on your property because your pilots can conflict their trips out with vacation and extend their vacations also?
In Prefbid, a pilot’s seniority is always honored. If he bids enough, no pairing is assigned that he did not bid on. If he is not specific in his bidding, then the software attempts to award as many of the matched trips in a Preference that it can. However, if some of the trips conflict, because they start on the same day, and he does not further refine his preference to move certain trips up in priority, then he is basically saying all matched trips are equal to me, “software award me a trip.” Give me as many as you can. Sort biases are simply a way to select from the trips that conflict. There has to be a method to pick a trip. Under these circumstances, his seniority has been honored, and he has been awarded a pairing from the ones he chose, but showed no further preference. The pilot understands this logic and knows he can further prioritize those pairings if he chooses to make a specific pairing in that group more important. Otherwise, there is no mind reading, and some method has to be employed to award conflicting trips. It is not a bad thing. Personally, I would rather have pilots choose the methods versus any options that automation would choose that may not be in my best interest. If it bothers anyone that much, then bid more specifically so that no methods are needed in processing that pilot’s schedule. The Pilot has control if he chooses to exercise it.
A globalized system knows up front what is possible….Smartpref takes it one step further and will immediately display the results based on what more senior pilots have already bid or have as a standing bid.
Yes, that feature is nice. But what happens in the real world when GLOBALIZATION executes. That feature is greatly outweighed by the compromise of GLOBALIZATION. Again, GLOBALIZATION takes Power from the Pilots. It can affect the quality of your schedule in the pairings it chooses, and it can affect your pocketbook in the line value that you receive ($). Most of us desire the best schedule we can obtain, and control over the amount of money that we want to make. Likewise, it can cause you to fly more than you want. Bottom line, give me a bidding system that offers the most control that I can have in determining my quality of life by the pairings I choose, and the money that I determine that I want to make. That requires a system that honors seniority to the greatest extent possible and is available to all pilots on the list, not a system that utilizes voodoo logic in the form that cannot be explained or predicted!

Last edited:
Just curious but if I recall you haven't even had your contract for 2 years but have over 50 MOU's already. Why would you have so many in such a short time?

I'm sorry but you were saying what about 2 years?

Date of Signing: November 20, 2007
Duration: November 20, 2007 ~ November 20, 2010

Last edited:
Just curious but if I recall you haven't even had your contract for 2 years but have over 50 MOU's already. Why would you have so many in such a short time?

Since you brought it up, I read through all the MOUs. The first 20 or so were implementation documents from the 2007 contract. Some of those simply laid out a timeline of when the contract improvements would be implemented and how. Others further defined the terms of the contract too make sure we captured intent and to mitigate future grievances. There are others that later improved our contract. There are others that helped support our bidding system documentation. Others that laid out how our PBS system would be implemented and requirements of the performance before we would go live. A few that provided protection for some of our pilots that took leaves to fly for a venture in Viet Nam. One or more that deal with ASAP implementation and operation. Some others that memorialized issues that were not covered in the contract. But, overall, these documents help strengthen our contract and capture new practices and policies that arise after the contract is signed. I am not a lawyer, but I would guess that the more documentation you have to protect your work rules and pay, and in some cases actually improve on what you already have is a very good thing. That is why there are so many.

What raises the issue for you?

Seriously, you work 8 hrs and get paid 4hrs?
Did you actually agree to that BS!

I thought you had to be smart and educated to be a pilot, but you take half pay for your work. Does the CEO do that too?

I don't know how this was ever agreed too, but its been in the last 3 contracts. Why this is acceptable I don't know.

Since you brought it up, I read through all the MOUs. The first 20 or so were implementation documents from the 2007 contract. Some of those simply laid out a timeline of when the contract improvements would be implemented and how. Others further defined the terms of the contract too make sure we captured intent and to mitigate future grievances. There are others that later improved our contract. There are others that helped support our bidding system documentation. Others that laid out how our PBS system would be implemented and requirements of the performance before we would go live. A few that provided protection for some of our pilots that took leaves to fly for a venture in Viet Nam. One or more that deal with ASAP implementation and operation. Some others that memorialized issues that were not covered in the contract. But, overall, these documents help strengthen our contract and capture new practices and policies that arise after the contract is signed. I am not a lawyer, but I would guess that the more documentation you have to protect your work rules and pay, and in some cases actually improve on what you already have is a very good thing. That is why there are so many.

What raises the issue for you?

In short, you never pass up an opportunity to improve your contract.

The question should be, why does the XJT contract not have 80+ MOUs?

Seriously, you work 8 hrs and get paid 4hrs?
Did you actually agree to that BS!

I thought you had to be smart and educated to be a pilot, but you take half pay for your work. Does the CEO do that too?

Do you get paid for every hour of duty time? Do you get paid 3 hrs when you have a 3 hr airport sit between legs? No? Did you actually agree to that BS? You take no pay for that work? I bet you have days where you sit at the airport for 4 hrs, and you get no pay.

If a RR gets called to fly, he gets paid 100% of what he flies.

That said, I hope and believe they will go with the 4 hrs RR for 4 hrs pay. This will just require more people on RR each day, and for the individual to sit more days of RR each month. Pick your poison.

Speedtape

You are making many assumptions. First of all realize that our MEC has researched all of this. They have figured that this is the only PBS which will be able to maintain the same QOL which we already enjoy under our line bidding. Therefore it's either that or our line bidding. I'm ok with staying under our line bidding and I'm guessing that most of our pilots and your pilots are ok with us staying under that system as well. With that said, the effects of globalization can be mitigated. So much so that lucky lineholders can all but be eliminated. I mentioned two methods, one of which I would want in order to keep the same QOL I enjoy now. Remember, like many of you guys say in defending some of the supposed shortcomings of your PBS, it's about the work rules.

That logic doesn't make sense seeing that the XJT contract is way superior to the ASA contract.

Last edited:
Do you get paid for every hour of duty time? Do you get paid 3 hrs when you have a 3 hr airport sit between legs? No? Did you actually agree to that BS? You take no pay for that work? I bet you have days where you sit at the airport for 4 hrs, and you get no pay.

If a RR gets called to fly, he gets paid 100% of what he flies.

That said, I hope and believe they will go with the 4 hrs RR for 4 hrs pay. This will just require more people on RR each day, and for the individual to sit more days of RR each month. Pick your poison.

Why wouldn't you get paid what you fly ??? Why would you need more people on RR ?

Speedtape, Nevets has the same debate I do over the systems. I'll only add that the "bottom 35%", or where ever the constraint line falls are important. However, it spurns a back pedaling agreement by some of the CRJ people on here. Many CRJ people believe that ERJ people "don't care about seniority". Well, how do those folks want the argument? Being below the contraint line simply means one is junior, doesn't matter which system it is. Being junior has ALWAYS sucked. And the standard point applies, under the XJT line bid, a junior pilot who didn't get what they want has the opportunity to fix that. Under ANY PBS system, that just simply doesn't exist. In other words, if a pilot gets unstacked there's not much, if anything that can be done.

Speedtape

You are making many assumptions. First of all realize that our MEC has researched all of this. They have figured that this is the only PBS which will be able to maintain the same QOL which we already enjoy under our line bidding. Therefore it's either that or our line bidding. I'm ok with staying under our line bidding and I'm guessing that most of our pilots and your pilots are ok with us staying under that system as well. With that said, the effects of globalization can be mitigated. So much so that lucky lineholders can all but be eliminated. I mentioned two methods, one of which I would want in order to keep the same QOL I enjoy now. Remember, like many of you guys say in defending some of the supposed shortcomings of your PBS, it's about the work rules.

1. You might want to get the facts first because the ones your stating are incorrect.

OK, but I did put the the "care to dispute the information from CRJ pilots" in my post for a reason. You're NOT paying attention. So you are contesting what they have said? Are you saying that unstack has NEVER been used?

2. You have continued to try to convince ASA pilots that this PBS program is the best out there. ASA already has a PBS program.

Maybe you should get your facts straight. I'm NOT doing anything of the sort. Simply stating that the smartpref is better aligned with the XJT CBA, the flightline system isn't.

3. As for the executive session, I really have no idea what you are talking about. That's over my pay grade but it sounds like it's keeping you up at night. You might want to have that looked at. It could get worst as you get older.

Well maybe you should pay a little attention. Because an ASA MEC member blabbing and breaking the standard agreement is what started this whole thing in the first place. The downline affects could have greater consequences. As in, if the individual can't be trusted, who's to say they won't blab something to management if it strikes them? Does that make sense to you, is that something you can understand why people shouldn't break and agreement? Because if it doesn't, maybe you should spend more time at night thinking about it.

Oh I forgot one thing....you never did answer the questions.

You're NOT paying attention and ONLY seeing/reading what you want to. Work on your reading comprehension skills.

Maybe because the original 04 document DIDN'T contain as much weak/ambiguous language as the contract 07 at ASA. Hence not needing as much LOA/MOU modification.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back