• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ERJ XJT PBS Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your contract is better in almost every area other than maybe one or two things. And I can't even name what those would be.

i will let the select four or five argue all day about PBS. I would like to compare the other 400 pages and see how we can make the rest of the contract better.

I'll start it here:

-ready reserve is 4 hours/ paid 4 hours
-no need to call or wait 1 hour after last known assignment on reserve

Feel free to add on.

Comair's contract WAS the best...I wouldn't trade with them though....

Horizon is better too.....Wouldn't trade with them either....

ASA's PBS was amazing. As long as the MEC's don't let any work rules change than I believe the XJT pilots will love what the ASA pilots had.

What ever you do, don't let the system become a globalized system!

I'll start it here:

-ready reserve is 4 hours/ paid 4 hours
-no need to call or wait 1 hour after last known assignment on reserve

Feel free to add on.

Sounds good. We have that now. Also can not be assigned ready reserve on your last day of reserve. We also are released 15 minutes after blocking in on last leg if nothing has been added. We just have to check schedule and if nothing is there then head home. Also can't be reassigned by ACARS. I have been told they can do that to you. Not sure if that is true.

how do your reserves bid? Is that through the PBS system? We just bid for days off and call out times. Same as line bidding just shows days on reserve instead of trips.

The real argument to consider is a seniority based system versus a GLOBALIZED system. If a system is globalized, it does not matter whether it is AOS, Navtek, Carmen, or Smartpref. The pilots of Continental have a globalized system.

Although Continental pilots have few PBS rules, which contribute to the dissatisfaction level, the GLOBLIZATION is also a major factor in that it allows the software to ignore the desires of the crewmember so that it may assign the pairings that it needs to assign to achieve certain goals. In simple terms, there may be a specific pairing that may be available to a crewmember that the crewmember has bid. However, if the software determines that it needs that pairing elsewhere, then the crewmember will be denied that specific pairing and another pairing will be assigned that meets the need of the solution that the software is trying to achieve. There is little transparency and no predictability for the crewmember.

Flightline's Prefbid is the only seniority based system without GLOBALIZATION. If a crewmember bids for a specific pairing, and it is available to the crewmember, it will be awarded so long as it does not conflict with a pre-assigned pairing or other pre-assigned activity, and there are no other legality issues such as block buffers, FAR violations, and the awarding does not exceed the wide credit window. Of all the systems, it honors seniority to the greatest extent.

In a globalized system there is the potential that every pilot bidding can be affected by the globalization process. In a globalized system, the software seeks solutions that can basically ignore crewmember requests to the degree necessary to obtain a satisfactory solution, depending on staffing and the number of hours that need to be covered. The goal is for the software to assign the time on every available pilot's line driving toward a solution with very little or no open time and also to drive most all pilots to an average line value. Normally, the credit windows are very narrow to assist in achieving this goal. Some have called it socialization of the schedules.

In summary, individual pilots will get greater schedule satisfaction from a seniority based system. If a crewmember bids correctly, and with a wide credit window, the crewmember will get better schedule satisfaction in both the specific types of trips he desires, and also the line value ($) that he chooses that determines his pay. In a GLOBALIZED system, the crewmember will lose control over specific trips that may be available to him, and in addition, he can lose control over the line value that he would like awarded to achieve desired pay.

As pilots, we strive to control our environment to the greatest extent possible. It is a common thread that we all share. So, why would we not want a schedule bidding system that gives us the most authority possible to control one of the most important elements in our job--Our Schedules! Globalization greatly diminishes that ability for a pilot to control his schedule. Ask any Contiental pilot.

Flightline's Prefbid, a seniority based awarding system, gives the crewmember the greatest amount of control over two of the most important parts of his job--the Schedule and his pay. Most pilots would want a system that grants them the ability to have the most control over their schedule and their pay.

well put. Focus more on pairing construction language and combine gains there with the current PBS system and we'll have a winner.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back