Encounters With Arrogant Celebrity Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User997 said:
My question after reading that is this. If he lost pressurization at 13,000 feet, why would he immediately be looking for a suitable landing site? Couldn't you just descent to a lower altitude (wouldn't have to descend far in this case) and continue on your way until you could find a suitable airport to land at?
I agree, the elevation out there is somewhere in the 5000' range or so (give or take 1000'). He had plenty to play with...

The pilot reported to investigators that he smoked about three packs of cigarettes per day.
I remember somewhere in my classes that smoking just 1 cigarette an hour prior to flight raises your body's altitude a few thousand feet. Subtracting the time normal people sleep (8 hours/day) this guy smokes almost 4 cigarettes per HOUR. So even at 12.5, his body probably acts like its at FL 200 or so! No wonder he had to get it on the ground, he couldn't breathe...

Also noted in the article was the tar on the outflow valves (smoking in flight). What a nut.

~wheelsup

DoinTime said:
A brief comparison of lifetime earnings and worldwide recognition between Mr. Ford and yourself will probably give you a good idea of who the "really big friggin loser" is.
:rolleyes:

Sorry to offend you and your boyfriend. I take it you must have been a douche bag in high school also.

EagleRJ said:
How about the time Harrison volunteered himself and his helicopter to search for some missing hikers?

I'm sure all of us have been rude with FBO employees at one time or another. Based on everything I've heard about Harrison Ford, he's OK in my book.

I've encountered several a$$hole celebrities, but they've all been my passengers. Not many celebrities I can think of are pilots anyway. Let's see, Ford, Patrick Swayze, Christopher Reeve, John Travolta, Cliff Robertson, Kurt Russell, Charlton Heston- anyone else?
Dennis Quaid
Morgan Freeman - once (maybe again)

I never met Patrick Swayze, but I met his brother at a drop zone once. I remarked that he looked a lot like Patrick Swayze, and he allowed that he was a brother. Point Break had come out the previous summer, so I asked him about it. He told me the jumps hadn't been in the original script, but that part of the deal for making the film was that the company would pay for them to do the jumps, and his end of the deal was that they wouldn't do the jumps until they'd filmed the movie. Bottom line was that there was some great footage, and they got the company to pay for thirty jumps into Lake Powell. The shots of Swayze jumping were him, not a double...just having some fun.

I used to get into Jackson Hole quite a bit. Mr. Ford lives up there, and is a regular. I never heard a soul say anything untoward about the man. I suspect he likes his privacy; I know I certainly would. He had done two rescues up there, as I recall. I know nothing about the man except that he worked hard to get where he is, and that I can't recall any of his movies that I haven't liked. Hey, the man is Indiana Jones. What more can I say?

I flew Robert Redford a few years ago. We were strongly discouraged from speaking with clients, but after returning him home at the end of the day, I offered my hand, and told him that I was inspired many years ago by The Great Waldo Pepper. I told him I realized that he was an actor and not a pilot, but thanked him for his work, told him it had meant a lot to me. He told me he'd done all his own stunts in the movie, and allowed that he'd been scared to death every second of it. Very nice, very congenial gentleman. Also an actor that's never made a bad movie that I can recall.

Larry Linville, who played Frank Burns, used to own a red Stearman. I understand he's a very nice person.

I met Bill Cosby a couple of weeks ago; he was waiting for his Gulfstream. He was engaged in a lively conversation in a FBO, talking with desk personnel, pilots, anybody around. Apparently he also owns a PC12, and was discussing it like any other person shooting the breeze and hangar flying. I made a comment, he turned and asked me a few questions. About as down to earth as one could ever expect, and also a very nice peson to boot. I don't believe he's got a pilot certificate, but does a fair amount of flying, and certainly knows the business.

I've had the pleasure of flying several experienced aviators who flew during the second world war, who came forward to tell me about their experiences. While not celebrities in film, certainly celebrities to me, and certainly with my full attention and respect. When I was flying the 4Y, often I'd have veterans approach me, some who followed the airplane for days from base to base as we moved on short notice, to see the airpalne. I always took all the time they wanted to bring them into the cockpit, show them around, and enjoy the privilege of seeing their memorabilia. Not celebrities to anybody else, but heroes to me, and a wonderful privilege for which I could never hope to pay. And yes, every one a very nice person.

I've seen Kurt Russel at SBA in times past, and don't recall anybody up there who had any problems with him, either. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Chuck Yeager has a strong opinion of his past. Not having set world records and changed history, I can't comment from the same playing field. I do know that he's very gracious in meeting with everyone from pilot groups to young eagles and CAP cadet squadrons, even at his age, and that's saying a lot.

I met John and Martha King once. While I dislike their products personally, they were very congenial and nice folks.

Meeting Al Haynes, who gained some measure of celebrity status against his will, was a very enlightening individual to meet, and certainly far from arrogant. I watched him hold a room of hundreds of pilots breathless in his palm for hours, and then spend time talking one on one with whomever desired his attention. Quite a man.

Phil Boyer, a celebrity in his own rite, has always taken the time (in my experience) to talk with pilots when asked for a moment of his time. He is most professional, certainly fair, and accessible.

I met John Denver only once; a man who was as comfortable at the airport, and as normal and common, as every one else. I still find his loss very tragic, his music still takes me to another plane.

And so on, and so on. Why is it that jelousy demands that folks need to put down others, pilots, simply because you don't have what they have?

John Denver will always be my favorite. His music, and death had an effect on me. I would like to have had the pleasure to meet him.
I remember a show I saw once about his love of flying, and music. I can't remember much about it, but I remember he appeared to be an accomplished pilot. I think He had somewhat of a fleet of airplanes to. He said that his favorite of all was a Cub on floats. That alone made Him alright in my book.

avbug said:
Larry Linville, who played Frank Burns, used to own a red Stearman. I understand he's a very nice person.
Larry Linville died of cancer a few years ago.

I flew with Patrick Swayze. He knows his stuff and he's a very gracious man. I stayed with him at a friend's home and was treated like family. He's very proud of his CE-414. Rather modest when you think of what he could own. His wife flies aerobatics and is quite good at it.

Fly charter out of KVNY or KBUR and you will meet every one of the (living) celebrities mentioned. Good grief, just use the restroom at Clay Lacy and you're bound to be standing in line behind Redford at the paper towel dispenser. Harrison Ford and Travolta both keep their planes at KVNY. How many hours a year does Ford fly? I used to see his Yellow and Green Beaver all over the place and would often hear him on the radio around SoCal.

As far as Swayze, a few of us on the board know the whole story and we'll just leave it at that;)

A few months ago Christina Aguilerra was trying to use the pilot lounge at Raytheon as her dressing room. Her body guards tried to keep the pilots out. They should know better than to get between me and a recliner/TV remote. She was relocated.

I met Han several years ago...I'll never forget it. I had a weekend RON to TEB, and we were leaving Sun. morning...I was delayed a bit on Canal St. because the NYY were getting ready to have a WS parade..

anyway, I'm at Jet plenty early enough and there are like TWO planes on the ramp. So I'm just walking around airside as it was a terrific morning out, and there is this BRAND new looking A36 right next to us. So I'm peeking around it, looking inside, but NOT touching it. And I hear this voice behind me...."can I help you". I turned around and it's The Man. So we chatted and I remarked how his ride looked brand new, and he told me it was, had just gotten it, etc....

We chatted a bit and he jumped in and blasted. Seemed plenty nice enough. Hope I run into him again sometime and see if he remembers that.

I'll keep my eye out in VNY as we in there a fair amount now.

Oh I forgot...Kenny G (soprano sax player) has a Beaver on floats. I kid you not.

Since we're on the subject of John Denver...

RightPedal said:
John Denver will always be my favorite.
Didn't John Denver's father use to pilot a Lear and died of a heart attack while taxiing out to the runway to go pick his son up in Phoenix one day.

Latest resources

Back