Encounters With Arrogant Celebrity Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vector4fun said:
This story is pretty dated, but I'll tell it anyway. You older guys may remember a comedian named Jerry Clower, who passed away about six years ago. Played at the Opry all the time. Anyway, my Dad happened to be seated next to Jerry years ago while dead-heading home. They got to chatting and Jerry asked if my folks had ever been to the Opry. Dad said no, but that my Mom was a huge fan, and always wanted to go, but tickets were hard to get with their schedules. Jerry told Dad to get a weekend off and let him know the date.

A few weeks later, my folks showed up in Nashville, and reaching the Hotel room, found two backstage passes and a boquet for my Mom. Jerry introduced them to a number of performers, and I recall that Marty Robbins played that night, and the crowd wouldn't let him off stage...

I only tell the story as a tribute to Jerry, a real class act.
wow...that is a cool story!

Vector4fun said:
You older guys may remember a comedian named Jerry Clower, ...

I only tell the story as a tribute to Jerry, a real class act.
Yazoo City, Miss-uh-sip-ee

Marcell Ledbetter...

shoot up amongst us, put one of us out of our pain ...

Pure humor, and every bit of it "G"-rated - - he was a genius.

Anybody remember Andy Griffith doing the same kind of "stand-up" comedy?

Anybody remember Andy Griffith doing the same kind of "stand-up" comedy?
"What it was ... was football."

He's a nice guy. Came to my co-worker's wedding in Manteo. Heard he was a total dick back in the days when he was picked up by a limo in Mt. Airy anytime he wanted to go anywhere. He must have mellowed since. :D

Minh

There was a certain b-tv series semi-celebrity who did a gear up in a cessna single here in NM. However I would rather go thru a thousand gear up landings than be married to his wife, the one famous for telling others how they should air dry their laundry (nothing wrong with that at all, however she would not do it), and her famous suit against an aerial photographer.

Crossed paths with Harrison Ford a few times at Jet in TEB...seems like a decent guy..just very private. Probably wasn't too happy with me starting up the MU2 screamer right next door...when ya gotta ya gotta go.

Mathew McConnahay (or however it's spelled)

Mathew McConnahay (or however it's spelled) was a Line Service guy... we saw him in the a$$-old training video at Jet Aviation

my celeb encounters

I once worked on a movie crew that was shooting in our area (my first and only time). I asked everyone who the nicest star was they had ever worked with and they all said it was Harrison Ford.A lot of the crew had worked on "Six Days, Seven Nights" the year before. They said that Ford bought a beaver after the shoot, like the one he flew in the movie...Antonio Bandaras was in this movie and his wife Melanie Griffith would fly in often on a charter. I walked out to her plane one day to get a close look-see and she was a real b****....John Denver's mother married an old childhood friend after John's father died and they lived part of the time in our area. John would drop by in his Lear occasionally. One day I had my gyroplane on the ramp and he came over and asked a few questions and made nice. I was on my way to Detroit to pick up a Longeze project I had bought, when I heard of his death in the very same make. It was a wierd feeling........President Clinton was from our home town and regardless of your politics its always a big show when any president is around. Barbra Streisand flew in on MGM's 727 for Clinton's mother's funeral. She looks smaller in person. Our airport manager told me the government bought over $50,000 worth of jet-a to fill the presidential fleet during that three day stay....... I once saw Robert Redford at a small fbo in Missouri. There weren't many people around so he took some time to chat and sign autographs.....My celeb encounters have been mostly positive

I've flown a few...
I attended FlightSafety in Lakeland, FL with Christopher Reeves a couple of times. He was truly a nice guy and flew a good airplane.

Robert Redford - never flew with him, but he came into our crew quarters one night - he was running late and asked if he could use our showers. After he left, one of our pilot's towel was wet and laying on the floor and one of the tooth brushes had been used. After that, Waldo Pepper was just never the same.

I've flown 3 or 4 NBA players. Across the board a bunch of self-absorbed jerks.

The guy who played Gentle Ben tried to get me to take an illegal 135 in a friends airplane.

Glen Frey of the Eagles - a genuine nice guy.

A couple of governors and other politicos during election campaigns. They all seemed to be good guys, but then they were looking for votes.

Chris Mathews - a real arrogant jerk. He gives left-wing wackos a bad name.

My favorite, although I didn't get to fly with him, was Neil Armstrong. I met him at a convention and had the opportunity to talk to him for quite a while. It was an experience that I will never forget.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back