• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates Road Show May 2008

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How much out of your pocket must be contributed towards the retirement plan? I heard it is manditory to contribute 5% of your own money to the retirement fund. Also, what is a realistic expense per month in Dubai, i.e. phone, cable, etc. Thanks in advance.

Xtwapilot

5% is correct. Stupid not to contribute more.

Realistic expense depends on whether you have kids or not.

House is free, utilites are free.

TP

Last edited by a moderator:
TP,
Thanks, expenses for a single guy such as food, cable, telephone, internet, etc. Just trying to gage what my expense would be if I was hired and took unaccompanied quarters? Thanks in advance for the answers.

xtwapilot

TP,
Thanks, expenses for a single guy such as food, cable, telephone, internet, etc. Just trying to gage what my expense would be if I was hired and took unaccompanied quarters? Thanks in advance for the answers.

xtwapilot

Food is widely variable. Depends on how much you eat out and how much alcohol you drink. Meals in most western restaurants will be around 50-75 Dirhams per person plus alcohol. Beer is typically around 25-30 Dirhams a pint. Grocery costs for eating at home would be similar to the USA unless you are trying to eat foreign products all the time, then it's a bit more.

Cable or Satellite TV would run around $75/month. Internet around $75/month. Cell phone around $50/month. Long distance calling should be negligible if you use Skype or similar service. Personal VPN at $40/year gets you around the proxy server.

TP

Thanks TP,
I recently updated my application from almost 2 years ago. I did get an invite back then but couldn't attend, was told when I was ready to attend to update the application. How long has it been taking to get an answer or an invite from time of submission. My states are 8400 hrs total time, rated on B737, B757, B767, B747. 5300 hrs jet time in all the above + CRJ700 and MD83. 2255 hrs is on B747 and B767/757. Flown everywhere except Austrailia. Thanks in advance.

Xtwapilot

Latest resources

Back