Emirates interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

They advertised on 27 Jan 2010 on climbto350.com for FOs.

cliff
GRB

"Dubai is not that bad and you can do pretty much everything here that you can do back home..."

Except miss a few mortgage payments on some pilot crash pads you may own in said Dubai, at which time you "resign" from Emirates and quickly leave the country. Did you hear about that, uba757?

You don't need a crashpad. No one has a crashpad here. There are a few commuters, but those guys all have company apartments.

There are a few here though that bought as investments, which at one point, was very good as they were all done on spectulation. However, just like everywhere else, the market crashed and they got stuck with huge mortgages. That's why some people have ran. However, I do know personally of two pilots and one purser that got stuck with investments like this and got behind on their mortgage. The company bailed them out. Now, some will say that's the company helping the pilot. Some will say that the company did it to ensure those individuals will stay and are now indebted to EK. You make your on conclusions.

Listen, if you come here thinking it's going to be just like home, don't come. You will be sorely mistaken and probably miserable. This is not the U.S. and no, you can't do everything that you did back home or be in the same environment that you had back home. My Target runs now include a 14.5 hour trip to JFK, not a 10 minute run down the block. You certainly have to have a little bit of adventurism in you to become an expat. You have to have the ability to learn to enjoy some of the culture (not embrace it, enjoy it or go along with it). If you don't, you'll go crazy. I'll give you an example, if you can't travel outside of the U.S. without eating at a McDonalds at least twice a week, then don't bother trying to become an expat. It's a different life. And it's not for everyone. It's not back home, I miss a lot of stuff that I did in the states. That's also why we try to get back home every 3 to 4 months, doesn't always happen, but it helps. However, we have found new and different things to do that we otherwise would never have had the opportunity to do, and we have embraced that not only for ourselves, but for the education of our kids. Take it for what it's worth. Be informed about becoming an expat. For the simple reason that once you become an expat, if you want to return to the U.S. in this career, more than likely, you will start all over again. It's not an easy choice. But don't foul yourself that it will be like moving from DTW to MSP.

You don't need a crashpad. No one has a crashpad here. There are a few commuters, but those guys all have company apartments.

There are a few here though that bought as investments, which at one point, was very good as they were all done on spectulation. However, just like everywhere else, the market crashed and they got stuck with huge mortgages. That's why some people have ran. However, I do know personally of two pilots and one purser that got stuck with investments like this and got behind on their mortgage. The company bailed them out. Now, some will say that's the company helping the pilot. Some will say that the company did it to ensure those individuals will stay and are now indebted to EK. You make your on conclusions.

Listen, if you come here thinking it's going to be just like home, don't come. You will be sorely mistaken and probably miserable. This is not the U.S. and no, you can't do everything that you did back home or be in the same environment that you had back home. My Target runs now include a 14.5 hour trip to JFK, not a 10 minute run down the block. You certainly have to have a little bit of adventurism in you to become an expat. You have to have the ability to learn to enjoy some of the culture (not embrace it, enjoy it or go along with it). If you don't, you'll go crazy. I'll give you an example, if you can't travel outside of the U.S. without eating at a McDonalds at least twice a week, then don't bother trying to become an expat. It's a different life. And it's not for everyone. It's not back home, I miss a lot of stuff that I did in the states. That's also why we try to get back home every 3 to 4 months, doesn't always happen, but it helps. However, we have found new and different things to do that we otherwise would never have had the opportunity to do, and we have embraced that not only for ourselves, but for the education of our kids. Take it for what it's worth. Be informed about becoming an expat. For the simple reason that once you become an expat, if you want to return to the U.S. in this career, more than likely, you will start all over again. It's not an easy choice. But don't foul yourself that it will be like moving from DTW to MSP.

Good post. Thanks

Why would you need a pilot crashpad if the company is paying your housing?

I'll defer to Regional's summary of what happened (my source was state's side), however I think the scenario he describes makes my point: An expat must comport himself consistent with middle eastern culture or face the consequences.

Dubai leadership itself is experiencing some disapproval from the other emirates' leadership due to their assumption of massive debts based on hyper speculation, and so are finding the securing of "bailout capital" from Qatar and the others difficult these days. Loss of control of Emirates Airways is one possibility.

Last edited:
I'll defer to Regional's summary of what happened (my source was state's side), however I think the scenario he describes makes my point: An expat must comport himself consistent with middle eastern culture or face the consequences.
You could say that about ANY international flying, whether it's the Emirates, Saudi, China, Korea, or even Russia.

Most of that, however, comes with being a professional. There are always going to be a few individuals who just conduct themselves unprofessionally in ALL aspects of their life, or just make poor financial decisions, as it sounds here, and get themselves in hot water...

YMMV

Dubai leadership itself is experiencing some disapproval from the other emirates' leadership due to their assumption of massive debts based on hyper speculation, and so are finding the securing of "bailout capital" from Qatar and the others difficult these days.
Jerry you know that Qatar is a country in it's own right and has no association with Dubai or the United Arab Emirates whatsoever besides also being in the Middle East?

Latest resources

Back