Emirates interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

What is the "bona fide residence" test? And it is more than 30 days in the US, or you have to pay!

cliff
NBO
My understanding is that the residence test means that it really IS your primary residence out of the U.S., not just an address you claim then come home to the U.S. all the time.

Part of it is no more than 30 days in the U.S. in any calendar year, the other is maintaining a house that can be verified if you get audited, etc.

Thanks for the clarification on the rest, would be great if they WERE paying for transportation from an EK station. As of last month on PPrune, people who were going indicated they had to pay for it on their own.

Glad to hear the housing is straightened out, but are they still only paying a portion of your utilities?

I wouldn't necessarily have to come back to the U.S. each vacation time, but if I'm working that kind of rotation all year, I would like 4 blocks of 15 or 16 days off with the ability to get positive-space business class travel without paying full fare. Get to the U.S. twice a year for 15 days each, satisfy the expat requirements, use the other two to go to Europe or Australia or something with the kids.

It's close to what it would take me to go Expat. AJV has a much better deal right now IMHO. The money is just as good, 10 days off in a row each month, positive space business class travel each month back to an ANA station state-side, full access to ZED fares without restriction on reciprocating airlines, etc.

If Emirates would tweak their pass privileges, bidding issues, and a few other things I've heard repeated on PPrune (even from the people who are usually pretty positive), it wouldn't bother me at all to go over there. I'm a pretty low-maintenance person when it comes to daily life. Just need to see my son regularly, have a comfortable place to live, things to do when I don't have him (which is why I would want pass privileges to get out of the country on my blocks of 4 days off), and some good books to read, maybe a bike to tinker on and a good gym. :)

Oh, and internet access, obviously. :D LOL

My understanding is that the residence test means that it really IS your primary residence out of the U.S., not just an address you claim then come home to the U.S. all the time. = It means you have a residence permit for at least one full calendar year in a foreign country.

Part of it is no more than 30 days in the U.S. in any calendar year, the other is maintaining a house that can be verified if you get audited, etc. = The 30 day rule does not apply if you have residency in a foreign country, withing reason of course, but lots of guys spend more than 30 days in the States and still get the full foreign earned income exclusion.

Thanks for the clarification on the rest, would be great if they WERE paying for transportation from an EK station. As of last month on PPrune, people who were going indicated they had to pay for it on their own. = Changed a couple of days ago. They are providing transportation now.

Glad to hear the housing is straightened out, but are they still only paying a portion of your utilities? = They pay up to a certain limit. It's kind of a crapshoot to be honest. Some villas have far higher utility costs than others. Things like detached villa, versus townhome; size of yard; age of villa; etc all come into play. I have a four bedroom townhouse and everybody in my block is well under the cap. Most people in Silicon Oasis ( detached villas with huge yards ) are struggling to get down to the cap.

I wouldn't necessarily have to come back to the U.S. each vacation time, but if I'm working that kind of rotation all year, I would like 4 blocks of 15 or 16 days off with the ability to get positive-space business class travel without paying full fare. Get to the U.S. twice a year for 15 days each, satisfy the expat requirements, use the other two to go to Europe or Australia or something with the kids. = Staff travel policy is not going to change. Rostering might change, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's close to what it would take me to go Expat. AJV has a much better deal right now IMHO. The money is just as good, 10 days off in a row each month, positive space business class travel each month back to an ANA station state-side, full access to ZED fares without restriction on reciprocating airlines, etc. = Depends on one's circumstances. Commuting versus stable living. Those who live in Dubai and make a life here can be quite happy.

If Emirates would tweak their pass privileges, bidding issues, and a few other things I've heard repeated on PPrune (even from the people who are usually pretty positive), it wouldn't bother me at all to go over there. I'm a pretty low-maintenance person when it comes to daily life. Just need to see my son regularly, have a comfortable place to live, things to do when I don't have him (which is why I would want pass privileges to get out of the country on my blocks of 4 days off), and some good books to read, maybe a bike to tinker on and a good gym. :)

Oh, and internet access, obviously. :D LOL

Unrestricted internet access only takes a VPN.

EK works for some people and doesn't for others. It isn't what it was even 3 or 4 years ago because the upgrade times are going to be longer, but there aren't many airline jobs out there with starting pay approaching what EK pays.

Typhoonpilot

Hi!

TP, thanks for the update.

I am trying to get on with African Express as DC-9 Capt/MD FO, which means I would be in DXB sometimes as AE flies there 2-3 times a week. I just updated my stuff with EK (and Japan Contract).

cliff
NBO
PS-You don't HAVE to have time over 55K kg. It WAS a requirement a few months ago, but EK changed it now...it is "preferred" or something like that now.

Hi!

TP, thanks for the update.

I am trying to get on with African Express as DC-9 Capt/MD FO, which means I would be in DXB sometimes as AE flies there 2-3 times a week. I just updated my stuff with EK (and Japan Contract).

cliff
NBO
PS-You don't HAVE to have time over 55K kg. It WAS a requirement a few months ago, but EK changed it now...it is "preferred" or something like that now.

Is that small change the reason I got an e-mail this morning from Emirates? It was more like an advertisement saying "we're hiring FO's requirements are 4000TT, 2000Jet, pref. >55Tons"

I applied in Sept. and have never heard anything or received any e-mails from them whatsoever...(except your app. has been received) I can't imagine they have any trouble finding applicants, that's why I was curious as to why I'd receive anything.. (I think it was just a blast e-mail from the list of applicants they have?)

But then again why the change in weight restrictions/or change in any requirements? I thought all the furloughed heavy drivers were getting those overseas jobs?

Thanks
Another Furloughed Netjet'er

They very much are having problems finding applicants because those that know don't want to come anymore. If you don't have job then use and abuse EK like they will do to you. If you do then sit tight until something better than EK comes along.
Typhoon is right EK has changed vastly even over the past 4 years and it ain't for the better.

If they are having such a hard time finding people, why are they not calling those who have applied and meet the qualifications? Had my stuff in for quite a while and update regularly.

Lets just say that recruitment has been on hold cause we're doing more with less and now they realise they've "lost the paddle" and the creek is around the next bend. Expect most will be called in the mad panic.

If they are having such a hard time finding people, why are they not calling those who have applied and meet the qualifications? Had my stuff in for quite a while and update regularly.

Looks like you've atleast got the A-320/737 time...Atleast the ratings...I'm hopefull but not expecting a call for myself....My CRJ time probably doesn't mean squat, and instead of trying to get into a heavier a/c I went with NJA and somehow downgraded my qualifications...Looking back I should have tried to get on with a larger carrier in '06-'07. My QOL was great but now it has done a 180. I almost would have had liked a mediocre QOL and still be employed...or more employable:0

Looks like you've atleast got the A-320/737 time...Atleast the ratings...I'm hopefull but not expecting a call for myself....My CRJ time probably doesn't mean squat, and instead of trying to get into a heavier a/c I went with NJA and somehow downgraded my qualifications...Looking back I should have tried to get on with a larger carrier in '06-'07. My QOL was great but now it has done a 180. I almost would have had liked a mediocre QOL and still be employed...or more employable:0

I have over 2000hrs in the A320. The 737 is just the rating (tried to do the SWA thing a few years back). I have not flown in a while, and that may be the reason no call yet. But I just finished training with Compass (need to add the ERJ-170/190 type to my ratings) and will be flying again this weekend. Hopefully that may spur a call. Good luck.

Thats good. I gotta ask where did you get that kinda 320 time and end up at Compass? I'm thinking United, but I don't think anyone was there long enough to get that many hours before they furloughed again? JB maybe?

Looks like we have simialr times etc. except my largest a/c never made it past the damn CRJ

Latest resources

Back