Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

surfnfly

I'D RATHER BE SURFING
Any one attend a recent interview with Emirates. Just trying to get your your impression of the company. How was the interview, hiring numbers, etc. Any info appreciated. I got invited for a interview in March.

No interview yet, but just got an email asking me to update my application. More hiring soon?

I know that you should take anything you read on Pprune with a huge grain of salt (seems to be a lot of negativity), but it is probably worth a look. Check out the Middle East forum on Pprune (www.pprune.org). There are also a few guys on this forum who can provide their own impressions (i.e., Typhoonpilot). Conduct a search and PM them.

Good luck. I say tell them you want to fly the A380 right off the bat - maybe you'll get it with their recent attrition...

In my experience Pprune is about the worst source of information out there. If you think American pilots whine and complain, check out the Europeans. They win hands down.

A lot of what you read on that site seems to have a lot to do with unrealistic expectations - hey I am going to be hired and within six months be put in the left seat of an A380 and make a million dollars a year and only work five days a month!! What, that didn't happen?! Oh Bollocks!! These guys are the worst *%#*#$#^&8 ever to walk the face of the earth, stay far away!!

I know some folks at Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Cathay, and on many contract jobs. While the work is not perfect, they all say it is nothing like what you read on Pprune.

Can't be any worse than starting all over at poverty level wages (seriously) at a company that can't organize its training and has no idea where the bases will be in four months. Oh wait, did I say that out loud?

Last edited:
I must agree Pprune is extremely over-dramatic, although however there is some good stuff on there. Since no unions, sensorship and very limited labour protection laws apply to this part of the world, Pprune is more of an anonimous political tool more than anything else.
Satisfaction factor depends on the induvidual. I enjoy my time here, career progression, money and stability, however my other fried, also a yank, hates it.

Any one attend a recent interview with Emirates. Just trying to get your your impression of the company. How was the interview, hiring numbers, etc. Any info appreciated. I got invited for a interview in March.

Had a debrief with management today. According to them around 70 new hires, mostly going to the 777. There's plenty of interview info here and on pprune.
I enjoy the company a lot even though we have our problems, just like anybody else.

Guys, The one thing I have found about EK in the almost 2 years that I have been here,is that if you set your expectations very high, you will be dissapointed but if you come here with an open mind and are willing to take the good with the bad, it will be OK. Sometimes the stuff they come up with, well it is just like being back home with Delta, American, etc. But for the most part it is a good job. I think (and this is just my opinion) that this year they have to give some insentive for the pilot group to stick around, they have taken a great deal away and I hope they reallize that it is hurting morale and guys are just taking their stuff and going home, no notice given. Overall it is a good job, Dubai is not that bad and you can do pretty much everything here that you can do back home, I have a Softball game tonight. Again guys you have to take the good with the bad and have an open mind and it will all work out at the end. Just my 2 cents.

uba757

EK has become in many ways just like a carrier back home, Delta, United, etc. For the guys that have been here, yes, they have taken some quality of life away by making the airline more efficient. That also means cost effective. They have raised the productivity rates of the line pilots and also increased the overtime threshold. You have a set allowance each year for electricity/water, and if you go over that, then you pay for it through payroll deduction. It's a longer upgrade now for first officers on the Boeing, Airbus is about the same it's been, so Boeing is just catching up to the Bus, both about 5 years now. Be careful how the education allowance is worded and do a research on education costs here, they can catch you out quickly if you aren't careful. If you are an FO alloted a villa, you are given just the basics for furniture, etc. To make it a livable villa, you will spend some money over the next few years if you don't elect to ship your stuff over.

There were no raises last year or raises in education allowances, etc. Education costs have generally increased at least 10% each year and this year is not different. No bonus paid out last year. The company has been highly profitable this year. However, there are still questions of whether we will see raises or profit share.

In the first few new hire classes of the year, there were several no shows. Lots of "seven yearers" here and several first officers are leaving.

With all that being said, management has said that they are looking for planes this year or will move up the delayed 777 deliveries. Pilots on reserves are running low. So, in my opinion, (and it's just that, an observation/opinion), they will have to do something to motivate people to stay or bring in new hires. I would imagine that would come financially. I can't prove that at all and have no inside information. Many here are hoping the package improves this year but time will tell.

They also changed the upgrade policy. Anyone coming here with less than 55ton hours will need 4000 hours in seat to upgrade. Anyone with 55ton hours will need 3000 in type to upgrade. Now, according to management, there are only about 30 people on the Boeing side right now that meet that requirement, so odds are this will become just like any other policy and will change when needs demand.

As far as the company, they have been straight forward with me, which is more than I can say for the companies I worked for back in the states. Dubai you can take of leave, it all depends on how you make it. I will say that you have to get out of Dubai on holidays just to get away. The airplanes are new and generally I do not leave with an MEL on the plane. Most destinations are great, with ample time to explore. Crews are fantastic. Respect for pilots over here is something you will never see in the states. Fatigue can become an issue, depending on your roster. Hope some of that helps.

EK has become in many ways just like a carrier back home, Delta, United, etc. For the guys that have been here, yes, they have taken some quality of life away by making the airline more efficient. That also means cost effective. They have raised the productivity rates of the line pilots and also increased the overtime threshold. You have a set allowance each year for electricity/water, and if you go over that, then you pay for it through payroll deduction. It's a longer upgrade now for first officers on the Boeing, Airbus is about the same it's been, so Boeing is just catching up to the Bus, both about 5 years now. Be careful how the education allowance is worded and do a research on education costs here, they can catch you out quickly if you aren't careful. If you are an FO alloted a villa, you are given just the basics for furniture, etc. To make it a livable villa, you will spend some money over the next few years if you don't elect to ship your stuff over.

There were no raises last year or raises in education allowances, etc. Education costs have generally increased at least 10% each year and this year is not different. No bonus paid out last year. The company has been highly profitable this year. However, there are still questions of whether we will see raises or profit share.

In the first few new hire classes of the year, there were several no shows. Lots of "seven yearers" here and several first officers are leaving.

With all that being said, management has said that they are looking for planes this year or will move up the delayed 777 deliveries. Pilots on reserves are running low. So, in my opinion, (and it's just that, an observation/opinion), they will have to do something to motivate people to stay or bring in new hires. I would imagine that would come financially. I can't prove that at all and have no inside information. Many here are hoping the package improves this year but time will tell.

They also changed the upgrade policy. Anyone coming here with less than 55ton hours will need 4000 hours in seat to upgrade. Anyone with 55ton hours will need 3000 in type to upgrade. Now, according to management, there are only about 30 people on the Boeing side right now that meet that requirement, so odds are this will become just like any other policy and will change when needs demand.

As far as the company, they have been straight forward with me, which is more than I can say for the companies I worked for back in the states. Dubai you can take of leave, it all depends on how you make it. I will say that you have to get out of Dubai on holidays just to get away. The airplanes are new and generally I do not leave with an MEL on the plane. Most destinations are great, with ample time to explore. Crews are fantastic. Respect for pilots over here is something you will never see in the states. Fatigue can become an issue, depending on your roster. Hope some of that helps.
Great post thanks for the information. Do you think they will drop the Boeing and Airbus time reauirement for a interview?

Great post thanks for the information. Do you think they will drop the Boeing and Airbus time reauirement for a interview?

Only when they absolutely, positively have to, because no one with Boeing/Airbus time is prepared to go there. It's the only reason they were prepared to look at RJ guys 18 months ago.

Latest resources

Back