Emergency Decent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DC8
Capt pulles the outboards to idle,the inboards to full reverse and starts down at MMO. FO sets the transponder and talks to ATC. FE runs the checklists.

Hand fly the damn airplane. You are literally "falling" out of the sky, george isnt the best decision maker in the cockpit. Let him fly it straight and level when you get down.

DC8 Flyer said:
DC8
Capt pulles the outboards to idle,the inboards to full reverse and starts down at MMO. FO sets the transponder and talks to ATC. FE runs the checklists.

Hand fly the dang airplane. You are literally "falling" out of the sky, george isnt the best decision maker in the cockpit. Let him fly it straight and level when you get down.

Agreed! Be the pilot for once, work as a crew, CRM is most critical in this situation.

Our procedure is to let the autopilot fly it. Like a previous user said, if theres a cabin depressurization, chances are theres other things you might need to focus your attention on.

Cabin depressurization...
Oxygen Mask On / Working
Autopilot to FLC/IAS (assuming already near red-line)
Altitude Selected Below 15,000
Power Levers To Idle
Speed Brakes Out
Advise Center
... The airplane will take care of the rest

This of course assumes that there was no structural damage done during the depressurization.

I dont let my co-pilots fly the airplane during normal operations let alone during an emergency. But all kidding aside, the AP is a useful tool. Use it.

The CRJ's outflow vlaves have a safety feature not to alllow the cabin altitude to exceed 14,250 ft. +/- 750 ft. if there is a pressurization SYSTEM malfunction. So if there is a cabin depressurization, it wont be major UNLESS the bulkhead is failing somewhere, hence the structural failure. (or some stupida$$ passenger actually got the pax/galley door open in flight)

ArcticFlier said:
How is hand flying going to make a difference if you've had some kind of structural failure? Are you going to be more gentle?

Why increase your work load?

AF :cool:
You obviously don't have much user time with Honeywell's wonderful excuse for IAS Hold in a VMO/MMO descent on the ERJ ;) :D

It's not the work load that I'm concerned with.....it's the G load, 'cuz the work load may go right out the window (literally) when the a/p get's too excited that it sees a red line and loads the airplane up overzealously as it tends to do. I'd rather not take that gamble with a airplane with potential structural integrity issues.

And yes, IMHO a human will fly the aircraft more gently in the case of an ERJ in an emergency descent in IAH Hold. That being said...and like I said....I would probably use the A/P except in that one situation.

I did do it with A/P

I think only way to do it is with autopilot!

Done that and it worked well! We had smoke in the cockpit, so we were unable to see aircrafts attitude , speed, etc.... We got masks on, pulled paxs masks out. We cranked altitude alerter to zero, then went up 10 clicks, worked for that location up to 10000ft. With autopilot on,command nose down, in our ac hold wheel 10 seconds and should give 10degrees nose down I also pressed heading putton and turned little bit to the left away from airway. We pulled power idle, speedbrakes out, notified controller, finished rest of the memory items, at that point we started to see something, we were through 17000ft. And biggest hurry was behind us.

If we would have disconnect autopilot I dont know what would have happend. Maybe unusual attitude, structural damage, stall, CFIT... that is scary tought.

So I stick with autopilot!

Latest resources

Back