• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Emergency Decent

Flyingdutchman

Total Time
today?
Emergency Descent

I was having a discussion with a few guys.

Would you during a em. descent (lets say from FL370 to 10.000 feet like that Helios 737 in Greece)

A) Have the A/P fly ?

or,

B) Fly manual ?

Why A or B ? and what does your company say?

FD

Last edited:

atrdriver

Living in Paradise
Total Time
5000+
Personally I would rather let the AP fly. If I'm doing an emer descent there is a reason for it, and I'm going to be trying to take care of the other things that are going wrong. Company also says let the AP fly if it's available.

Butters

Keepin' it real...
Total Time
4.3/40
Flyingdutchman said:
I was having a discussion with a few friends..

Would you during a emerg. dec. (lets say from FL370 to 10.000 feet like that Helios 737 in Greece)

A) Have the A/P fly

or,

B) Fly manual ?

Why A or B ? and what does your company say?

FD

I choose B. Too critical of a time to let the AP fly. I would want to have the control at that point. Company doesn't dictate either way where I work.

While we are on the subject, if the reports of freezing temps are true, does anyone know why they didn't try to get down earlier?

Flyingdutchman

Total Time
today?
Ok boys.

This is a good and interesting discussion. I would fly manual, unless it's IMC.

What does your company manual say about this? Manual or A/P?

FD

J32driver

Strokin it...
Total Time
8000+
With the A/P on, set 10,000, select IAS mode, power to idle, boards out. Nothing else to do other than deal with the problem. I'd let the autopilot do the work.

Butters

Keepin' it real...
Total Time
4.3/40
J32driver said:
With the A/P on, set 10,000, select IAS mode, power to idle, boards out. Nothing else to do other than deal with the problem. I'd let the autopilot do the work.

Just be careful someone is still watching the autopilot. Nothing like making a bad situation worse. ;)

Flying_Corporal

Total Time
Flyingdutchman said:
Ok boys.

This is a good and interesting discussion. I would fly manual, unless it's IMC.

What does your company manual say about this? Manual or A/P?

FD

Manual. I believe some autopilots' max rate of descent is 3000 fpm, which is probably not enough when you need to get down from to 10K quickly.

LegacyDriver

Moving Target
Total Time
Enough
If you have oxygen on and can breathe then there isn't a whole lot out there that requires an incredible descent rate. If you can't get down in time at 3,000-4,000 fpm you are probably dead any way. That's my thinking.

Ditto the above: Masks, Idle, Boards, Gear (if it's that bad), 10,000 Feet/MSA, IAS mode, Checklists. Let the A/P take the workload from you--there are bigger fish to fry at this point.

Last edited:

LowlyPropCapt

PBR For Life, and Beyond!
Total Time
8000+
Suit up and communicate and let the AP fly it down. Thats company policy and I agree with it. A high workload time and no pilot, especially on which may be impaired has any business hand flying if he can help it.

Flyingdutchman

Total Time
today?
Is that in the Dash? isn't your max. service ceiling FL 250 anyway?

Keep 'm comming.

(Are you Den based?? getting junior sp*nked a lot last few days?? ;) )

PositiveRate

Refugee
Total Time
8000+
AP on, Idle, boards out, Vmo or Mmo if no damage. With the masks on and 1 person handflying, it's very easy to stop working effectively together and task saturation for both people would be more likely (IMO).

Obviously, no two emergencies are created equal and I'm sure there are situations where the AP is either unavailable or maybe just not immediate enough for the need. Even in the later case, though, if it was avail and once the descent was established, I would prob turn it back on.

It seems the life and death line is drawn more by getting the mask on fast enough than it is by the time it takes to get to 10k or thereabouts.

LowlyPropCapt

PBR For Life, and Beyond!
Total Time
8000+
Flyingdutchman said:
Is that in the Dash? isn't your max. service ceiling FL 250 anyway?

Keep 'm comming.

(Are you Den based?? getting junior sp*nked a lot last few days?? ;) )

The Dash it is, Just not in DEN. The e-descent thing is more if I'm on fire and need to hit a runway directly below me. Which the dash can do, in grand style.

FreedomAList

Total Time
8000+
Easy. Autopilot on. When it's crunch time, you want to do everything you can to reduce the workload. Crew resource management means using every resource at your disposal, and the autopilot is a very powerful tool.

Remember, you're a systems manager, not Chuck Yeager. Save the heroics when for when you take your sweetie-pie up in the 172 for a spin recovery demonstration. You already proved you knew how to fly back in your last PC check.

DirkkDiggler

Total Time
biznes
Auto pilot all the way. What happens if you're hand flying and then you both pass out? If the A/P is on and 10,000 is commanded, then at least the aircraft will level out at a breathable altitude and you can wake up before you run out of fuel.

flyer172r

Total Time
DirkkDiggler said:
Auto pilot all the way. What happens if you're hand flying and then you both pass out? If the A/P is on and 10,000 is commanded, then at least the aircraft will level out at a breathable altitude and you can wake up before you run out of fuel.

The only problem I see with that scenario is what happens when the AP levels the plane at 10,000, and nobody is awake to advance the thrust levers?

Sadly, I think the recent crash in Greece and the Payne Stewart accident a few years ago would seem to indicate that we are more susceptible to a loss of pressurization and ensuing unconsciousness than we'd care to admit. Has anyone out there experienced a real emergency descent and lived to tell about it? Please share what happened and what you did, it would probably benefit us all.

LegacyDriver

Moving Target
Total Time
Enough
I think a G-String of some sort has an auto-descent profile for cabin pressure loss. That's cool stuff.

bigboy

Total Time
7000+
J32driver said:

I agree. Let the AP do the job for you.

Flyingdutchman

Total Time
today?
Ok.. About 60/40 so far..

FD

DirkkDiggler

Total Time
biznes
flyer172r said:
The only problem I see with that scenario is what happens when the AP levels the plane at 10,000, and nobody is awake to advance the thrust levers?

I agree. That would be a problem, but you can only hope to have regained consciousness by the time you level off. I'd rather take my chances doing this rather than pass out without the autopilot on while performing a high speed descent with the boards out! I think at that point you'd have a lot more to worry about than the thrust being at idle when you leveled at 10,000!

Not to mention you'll be putting on your O2 mask and declaring an emergency at some point. Who's flying while you put your masks on?