• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emergency Decent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I say get the mask on first and make sure you have good O2 flow first, then establish comm with F/O or Capt. for Emergency Descent Procedures. Fly the plane first even if its on AP, but I would prefer to be in manual emergency descent if my O2 was good, why not. Pilot has more control over airplane manually than in AP mode. Loss of cabin press. that drastic is going to be caused by some sort of structural failure somewhere in the plane so in manual mode you would have better control and would be able to make faster pitch/roll changes than AP if it were serious, but its totally situational on what the cause is. Last but not least get ATC to let you know if 10k will even be a good altitude (IMC over Colorado and splat). They'll tell you in a sec the lowest you could go in any direction. Like I said, depends on situation......need to know more on conditions inside and outside of plane.

I agree with J32 Driver.
However refer to the checklist of the aircraft you fly under the you know RED PRINT that's why it's there.

Spinplate said:
Pilot has more control over airplane manually than in AP mode. Loss of cabin press. that drastic is going to be caused by some sort of structural failure somewhere in the plane so in manual mode you would have better control and would be able to make faster pitch/roll changes than AP if it were serious, but its totally situational on what the cause is. Last but not least get ATC to let you know if 10k will even be a good altitude (IMC over Colorado and splat). They'll tell you in a sec the lowest you could go in any direction. Like I said, depends on situation......need to know more on conditions inside and outside of plane.

If I had structural problems as the reason for the depressurization, the last thing I want to do is start yanking and banking. The A/P is going to do a fine job of holding your current speed (if you have structural issues, the last thing you want to do is run 'er up to Vmo/Mmo) or accelerating if you desire/need to.

Just for giggles, here's the Emergency Descent flow (for the CRJ)as I remember it (it's late and I'm way too tired):

O2 masks don
Establish communications
Hot mic on
Speaker on
Mask/Boom mic Mask
"Captain on O2"
"First Officer on O2"
Captain Flow:
Seat belt sign on
FCP:
Set lower altitude
push speed knob
engage speed mode
Thrust levers idle
Flight spoilers deployed
Synoptic page: doors (looking for potential structural damage)
Set airspeed to Vmo/Mmo if no obvious structural damage
PA announcement to passengers.

First Officer Flow:
ATC:
Declare emergency
Verify airspace below is clear
Inquire about the MEA
Reset altitude to 10,000 or MEA whichever is higher
PAX O2 on as commanded by Captain

AT 10,000 or MEA
Flight spoilers retract
Set airspeed to 250
O2 masks off
Captain transfers control to First Officer
Captain calls Flight Attendant to assess damage.

Y'all may want to nit-pick this or that, but this is basically the way our Flight Ops wants it done. Feel free. I won't bother responding. This is my point though....... who in the hell wants to be hand-flying at the same time?

AF :cool:

Last edited:
Spinplate said:
I say get the mask on first and make sure you have good O2 flow first, then establish comm with F/O or Capt. for Emergency Descent Procedures. Fly the plane first even if its on AP, but I would prefer to be in manual emergency descent if my O2 was good, why not. Pilot has more control over airplane manually than in AP mode. Loss of cabin press. that drastic is going to be caused by some sort of structural failure somewhere in the plane so in manual mode you would have better control and would be able to make faster pitch/roll changes than AP if it were serious, but its totally situational on what the cause is. Last but not least get ATC to let you know if 10k will even be a good altitude (IMC over Colorado and splat). They'll tell you in a sec the lowest you could go in any direction. Like I said, depends on situation......need to know more on conditions inside and outside of plane.

Agree. Been based in Colorado for 2+ years.. sometimes, over some areas, 12.000' is still below your MOCA/MSA

I wasnt talking about yanking and banking. Im talking about the ability react faster in manual mode than pushing buttons to try and get a desired pitch/speed setting from your FD/AP. Regardless someone needs to be monitoring the AP, so why not be flying it to get a faster rate of descent going vs. trying to punch buttons. If one pilot only, I agree that the AP should be used. Only if 2 pilots are capable of flying should it be done and if so, each one understanding what the other is doing to get it accomplished faster and without error. If 3k a minute is limit on an A/P, you will have some freezing a$$ unconscious people in the back. I say get down faster within reason and limits of airplane depending upon what the actual depressurization problem is if even known. good night all, To Be Continued................................

spinplate said:
I wasnt talking about yanking and banking. Im talking about the ability react faster in manual mode than pushing buttons to try and get a desired pitch/speed setting from your FD/AP.

Once you start down like the manhole cover you just turned the airplane into, how much faster do you really need to react to start the whole process?

AF :cool:

BTW, 3000 fpm isn't a limit on any A/P I've flown. I'm not saying that some out there don't have that limitation, but I don't think they are installed in anything that encompasses what we are talking about here.

Last edited:
C'mon people, like we have all been there and "this how I dealt with it crap." Let's quit BS'n and realize that...crap what's the point on this board, you can study but unless it envolves ALPA or how you were shafted by management-what does it matter? See you at the bar.

Flightsafety teaches IAS hold on AP in the B-350, once you manually have nosed down and established the emergency descent speed and emergency descent checklist is done or almost done. AP the rest of the way down.

Also "use your judgement" is taught. A decompression at 15,000 is less of an "oh sh1t lets get down now" than one (obviously) at FL 330

A/P engaged at my company. Let the airplane do it's thing while the pilots run the checklists, notify atc, watch for traffic, etc.

Latest resources

Back