• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Embry Riddle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is what you should do. Check the syllabus for riddle on the program from which you want to get your B.S. in. Make a note of the courses, especially the generic cources which u can take at ur local community college. Get you associates at a local community college focusing mostly on courses which you can transfer into riddle. Then, go to riddle for two years and get your bachelors. This way you will save a load of money, only have to spend 2 yrs a riddle, and have a B.S. from riddle. Make sure that those two years at riddle you get the best possible GPA you can. I wish I did this instead of spending over 100 k on a highly regarded aviaiton related college. No, I didn't go to riddle....

I transfered from riddle to Averett ( a small university in VA) though it was a mistake to even think about getting an aviation degree. Averett is a good school when it comes to flight training, and the people here are fun; otherwise the school sucks! If I could do it again I would go to a big state school like VT and UVA and fly out of an FBO. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A BS DEGREE!

planejockey said:
I transfered from riddle to Averett ( a small university in VA) though it was a mistake to even think about getting an aviation degree. Averett is a good school when it comes to flight training, and the people here are fun; otherwise the school sucks! If I could do it again I would go to a big state school like VT and UVA and fly out of an FBO. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A BS DEGREE!

the truth is starting to bubble to the surface. i wish more potential students would read this thread. same with the delta connection thread. keep the stories and opinions coming, guys!

There is a happy medium which can be found and it has been touched on in this thread. To get the real college experience and professional flight training at the same time for half the cost would be to look at your local state schools. I attend Southern IL University (there are many others just to name a few... UND, Purdue, Western MI, U of IL, OSU, ASU, Central Wash). I am pursuing a BS in Aviation Management but there are many other degree fields you can choose from. Its nice to get away from aviation once in a while. I looked at Riddle and Comair Academy (now delta connection?) and it wasn't worth the time and money. Sure we don't have the newest equipment out there but are all those G1000 cockpits really needed at this stage in the game? I am grateful that I am learning the "old ways" first.

By attending a collegiate aviation program I think you turn out to be a more well-rounded individual. I could be wrong but that's just my .02

Go to one of the others and get a degree in something useful, and do your flying out of school with the cash you'll save not going to ERAU.

You never know. You spend your entire life with nothing but flying then one day you wake up and wonder why you have heartburn SO bad!!! Two hours later they are trying to keep you alive while you are having a heart attack.
Suddenly that 10,000 hrs. isn't such a big deal.

I am in the process of earning the BS Pro Aero degree. The only reason I decided to pursue it was:

I was awarded credit for A+P/flight ratings
I was awarded credit for my BA from Cal State
My employer is paying for roughly 50% of the cost

Like others on this board I would STRONGLY recommend earning a BA/BS at the state university level in something like Business/Accounting/Finance, a field that is always in demand. You can transfer over about 1/3 of the units to ERAU, and receive another 1/3 for your flight ratings. The other 1/3 should not cost that much, and besides, the Pro Aero degree is pretty much useless outside of Aviation.

pgcfii2002 said:
I am in the process of earning the BS Pro Aero degree. The only reason I decided to pursue it was:

I was awarded credit for A+P/flight ratings
I was awarded credit for my BA from Cal State
My employer is paying for roughly 50% of the cost

Like others on this board I would STRONGLY recommend earning a BA/BS at the state university level in something like Business/Accounting/Finance, a field that is always in demand. You can transfer over about 1/3 of the units to ERAU, and receive another 1/3 for your flight ratings. The other 1/3 should not cost that much, and besides, the Pro Aero degree is pretty much useless outside of Aviation.
Yeah right, 1/3 for your flight ratings? No way.

Latest resources

Back