• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Embry Riddle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Went to Riddle myself, it was a big mistake. The quality of education is sub par for the aviation degrees... it's just not that difficult. And believe me, I'm no braniac. The flight training while good, is overpriced to the extreme and not necessary. The main reason I went there is to help open doors. While having ERAU on my resume never shut a door, one was never opened because of it.

Go to a state school, go to the football games and the parties and enjoy the college life.

You know what college life at riddle consisted of when I was there? Go buy a couple of 40 ozers for $.89 and watch tapes of Simpsons or maybe Tombstone until it got dark and either go to a 'frat' party with literally three girls per 50 guys, or go tip cows. Fun eh?

Just to clairfy, I agree with de727ups and Thedude, i don't plan on sending my kids to riddle. I went to a Big 10 school for a year as an engineering major before transfering to riddle. I think it was a big mistake to limit myself to an aviation degree and I missed the big campus until the day I graduated. With that said, it's a great degree, if you study, you learn a lot. You can do it just about anywhere, but it really makes it easier to learn when you're forced to. I agree too, the guy/girl ratio is horendous, but with that said I found my wife there, thankfully, not a pilot :) I'm currently trying to figure out how I can put myself through college off a flight instructor salary so that I can expand my possibilites, anyone have advice on that one? Do you guys get reciprocity, spelling?, with IN?

I was looking at Michigan, that airport in Ann Arbor was nice, and the people were great.

Their vehicles say "Turn off videogames, Turn on airplanes."

Michigan itself offers you great possibilities. I have friends at MSU that love it. And Ann Arbor is a top rated school. Both are excellent choices IMO.

don't go to riddle. don't get a degree in aviation. go get a real degree. fly at an FBO. it's cheaper and much quicker (reference the kid who has 44.1 hours that switched to our FBO from riddle b/c he hadn't soloed yet. they were milking him something fierce...). don't go to a fast track place either. how good is your pilot degree when your airline goes belly-up or furloughs your ass? plus the guy to girl ratio at riddle is something like 10:1. do your flying in your spare time at a real university, you'll learn so much more, both from your experiences and scholastically.

W. Mich would be great for you! I was another that looked at Riddle, didn't like it and went to a large school with a small aviation program. The truth is you don't even need an aviation degree, just a degree, preferably something you either enjoy or something you can fall back on. Getting your ratings at the local FBO is just as good, really. Get you CFI's as quickly as you can. You will then more than likely have opportunities to instruct while you finish your degree.

I went to a private non-aviation school and got the aviation bug after my "freshman" (academically, more like sophomore) year. Don't ask, I don't know how, I just got it. I did look at transferring out to a place like Riddle, and I realized what's the point. The flagship school where I would have qualified for instate tuition didn't have an aviation program, and the local flagship state uni on out of state tuition would have cost me the same as my private school tuition. Because of where I was in the course of my program, it was actually cheaper just to finish it and check the "degree completed" box where I was at.

I pursued my flight training with a local FBO and flying club. To be honest, I really enjoyed that experience -- it was a way to share something unique with a lot of people. I honestly thought it was better than hanging around with a bunch of aviation dork males 24/7.

Get a real degree!

Like many here I went to Riddle and actually had a good time. I disagree I think you can have a good college experience at Riddle. You just have to get off campus and meet others that are not at Riddle. Does this disqualify it as a college experience maybe, But between the people from Riddle and friends that I met in off campus jobs I had a real good time. The thing that did it for me was getting furloughed and trying to get a "real job." What is your degree in, what is that for is all I heard. I think we were looking for someone with different qualifications. If you go to Riddle I recommend getting a real degree (computer Science, Business Management, etc) and fly off campus you will save a ton of money and still get great training because all the instructors are from Riddle anyway. Good luck and have fun with your decision.

Another one - went to Riddle; don't regret it but it certainly did not help get any sort of regional job. The career placement people do nothing but schedule interviews for internships which are only of questionable value (I did 2). My first regional job came through an FBO/141 school whose head had some good connections.

And please, for the love of God, do not go to these fasttrack places; ATP, RAA . . .

. . . honestly your best bet is, like everybody else is saying, get a degree in something else and impress the crap out of the people at your local FBO.

Best of luck

I graduated riddle in 2000. I liked the weather! It was almost worth it just for that. I didn't like the flight training on campus though. The system was really overwhelmed when i was there though. I did private through multi in the fixed price program. I did learn a lot however, but it was too stressful.

Latest resources

Back