Embry Riddle students

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Princedietrich,

Bear in mind that the TCDS limitation of 16,663 hours is for the wing. I don't know anything about the airplane you flew, of course, but it may have had an exemption or might have had a different wing. I've flown a number of aircraft over the years which have had different wings, some as many as three or more due to their high times. Replacing a wing, spar or components isn't uncommon in life extention. If an aircraft is properly maintained, the life can be virtually limitless.

I normally don't get into these pissing matches but...

I've often thought about teaching at Riddle, and teaching them the way I learned, pilotage & VORs, no GPS allowed. I would probably get fired very quickly.

No you wouldn't get fired, you'd be doing them a favor. No need to jump on the bandwagon and bash Riddle if you don't know what you are talking about.

His education was a waste because the military taught from basic to his wings as though he knew almost nothing anyway. Plus he's stuck in that job for at least 12 years. I admire his interest in serving our country but ERAU is not a perquisite for military service. Lots of people get through military flight training and have no prior training at all, except for the pertaining that the military provides.

Careful what you say about being "stuck" in a job...we are well aware of our commitment and are proud to be there. A lot of people in military flight training now are coming in with prior flight time. While most everyone can get through military training without any prior flight time, a lot of the ones who get what they want have prior time. Maybe he was like me and was denied medically initially, and decided to go the civilian route, only to have a change in policy. Maybe like a lot of aviation grads, they realize that flying for the regionals isn't all that great and want to have fun flying and join the military. Or maybe having that flying experience helped him get his flight spot, I wouldn't consider that a waste.

Did you ever wonder.....

If (Some at Riddle) say they are the Harvard of Aviation...

At Harvard, do they say they are the Riddle of Medicine, Law, Science, Education, etc..........?

JAFI

Its funny, I am a UND alum, and UND claims the same thing, that they are the Harvard of Aviation...well whatever

Ok. I'm not trying to start a sh*t storm or anything, but what do they tell Embry Riddle guys? Do they really tell them that they are better pilots or that they will get more respect when they tell people that they went to Riddle?

he keeps talking about how he is going to get hired at the first airline he wants because Embry Riddle is known "industry wide" to be the best there is.

Big flight schools tell all of their students this, its nothing new. In times of hard hiring, it does help to go to a school like this to get the reduced hiring minimums. But it sounds like this kid is a pretty arrogant prick. If you don't want to work with him, then don't. But you could also help him pull his head out of his ass and learn how to fly steam gauges and use sectionals. A student is only going to be as good as his instructor is.

Princedietrich,

Bear in mind that the TCDS limitation of 16,663 hours is for the wing. I don't know anything about the airplane you flew, of course, but it may have had an exemption or might have had a different wing. I've flown a number of aircraft over the years which have had different wings, some as many as three or more due to their high times. Replacing a wing, spar or components isn't uncommon in life extention. If an aircraft is properly maintained, the life can be virtually limitless.

Well, all I can say is that this particular PA44 was NOT properly maintained. One of the instructors there even told me that the plane had been based at one of the Florida DCA facilities and had been "sent up north to die." Needless to say, I never rented there again.

I have flown with many Riddle grads over the years. The good ones that I have flown with I found out they were from Riddle just through casual conversation. The bad ones always made sure I knew they were they got there "wings."
As for pilotage, they usually were pretty good procedurally but the fresh grads were generally weak in hard IFR. This isn't their fault really considering where they fly. However, there is a HUGE difference shooting an approach to "foggle" minimums and shooting an approach to 100 HAT (with the approach lights in sight of course) and carrying a ton of ice.

I've found most people who attended Embry Riddle to be friendly. Heck, one of the nicest chief pilots at my airline was from there. But then again I've not dealt with anyone that's graduated from there in the last 5 years.

More importantly, even if you had the funds and to change the tone of my post and offer a cautionary, WHY WOULD ANYONE GO THERE???? Prior to 9/11 completely understand. Wages way up, opportunities way up, paying off a 75 grand loan was completely plausible. But post 9/11 and especially the rough current economic situation, anyone going to flight training planning on 100+ or even 50 grand loan, please reconsider. These high priced shortcuts to fly a modern GA airplane at these schools is a poor financial move. First year average regional airline wage is going to net you about $1600 a month with per diem. A 100 grand loan is going to require about $1600 a month to pay off for many, many years. Food, gas, auto, auto insurance, cellphone, rent, utilities, beer, etc. That all cost money also - at least $1600 a month for all those expenses. It will take you at least 3 years at present market conditions in the airline industry to just break even making those loan payments plus the cost of living expenses. And even at the highest level of bankruptcy declaration, school loans can never be forgiven.

In addition, that's not even taking into the consideration the value of an Embry Riddle education. From what I've heard, non-aviation courses are lacking in quality at the school. I went to a public university with aviation management being a small major among a variety covering many different careers and attended the same business classes as general business majors and English classes with English majors and so on. Point is there is an advantage to an education from a wide variety non-aviation specific university should one in the future change careers.

Undaunted Flyer is the classic Tool. This guy enjoyed the benefit of Age 60, having all the old guys retire at Age 60, benefitting from accelerated advancement in his career because of such, then when he turned 58, he cried out for age discrimination. Tool. In the First Degree.

This guy is a troll, still hanging out on the blogs of guys 20 years his junior, complaining that we aren't "experienced [hence the name {Fair Treatment of Experienced Pilots Act}] enough to take his place". This asswh1pe, and his very effective collaborative lobbying effort, effectively made it so the rest of us "inexperienced" pilots must now work an extra FIVE years in order to make LESS money than we would have made had the rule remained Age 60 (just do the math with compound interest).

Last edited:
Highsky is an 11,000 hour pilot who uses 14 year old vocabulary like "tool?" Rather suspect.

Undauntedflyer has been a very helpful contributor to the forums (not just here), often seeking out opportunities to open discussion among rational adults. Perhaps that's why you're not familiar with his work.

When you reach age 60 and have some valid experinece to contribute, by all means, do. Presently...clearly you don't.

I've recently flown with several older pilots who have returned to the left seat after a hiatus in the FE seat...and whom I whole heartedly support. I have always maintained that the loss of this great experinece, and the forced retirement at age 60, is a tragedy, and I am more than happy to see them have an extra five years on the line.

You'll get your five years...if you last that long. Not likely with your juvinile attitude.

"asswh1pe?" How adult. How on par with your previous posts, to date.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back