• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EMB170/190 Drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know exactly what you're talking about and it's not a door seal. There is a distinct difference. I have over 2000 hours on the 170/175 and I've always heard this noise, but can never identify the source, nor can anybody else i've asked. It does not happen all the time, and yes my fellow crewmembers have noticed it as well.
Has anyone written Embraer. Somone should. To me it sounds pretty serious. Apparently not since none have fallen out of the sky yet.

I've never heard anything like that on the 190.

But it does shake like hell when you ask for full spoilers...turbulent air over the horizontal stab. Heavier the better...doesn't seem to shake as much then.

Whats a "first class" first of all?

I've never heard that either, must be the wallet of the pilots screaming for more $$$$$. But we're fixing that on all the jetBlue E90's...

It sounds like the door seal vibration issue. It often sounds from the flightdeck like there's someone paying a horn in back of the plane, like a distant buzz/humm. The sound usually manifests itself at higher airspeeds, starting at 15,000 ft or so and slowly fading as you climb higher.

I don't believe its the actual internal pressure door seal, but rather the rubber shroud that is mounted over the top of the forward doors, over time the shroud wears and airflow may get between the rubber piece and the fuselage causing the vibration/humming noise. I've seen these removed from the aircraft on occaision, there is CDL relief for it. Occaisonally, a little fidgeting with the rudder trim will cause the airflow to change a bit, the seal will lay flat against the fuselage and the noise will go away. Its benign, however annoying.

I know exactly what you're talking about and it's not a door seal. There is a distinct difference. I have over 2000 hours on the 170/175 and I've always heard this noise, but can never identify the source, nor can anybody else i've asked. It does not happen all the time, and yes my fellow crewmembers have noticed it as well.

I'm also wondering what kind of noise the wheel wells could make in flight, as they are partially open. If the brushes around the tires are getting ragged, or if say one of the mains retract and stops just shy of where it should... etc. etc. I'm sure some wierd air flow noises could emanate from there as well, if everything isn't just so.

I thinks that as lots more of these aircraft enter service in the US, the airlines will get all these bugs worked out and the aircraft will become a true regional workhorse.

I'm also wondering what kind of noise the wheel wells could make in flight, as they are partially open. If the brushes around the tires are getting ragged, or if say one of the mains retract and stops just shy of where it should... etc. etc. I'm sure some wierd air flow noises could emanate from there as well, if everything isn't just so.

Those were my thought exactly. Funny. I thought about the aerodynamic brushes on the wheel wells being a culprit. Either way its definitely bizarre. But its Brazilian what isn't.

Dude...you're good!

Thank you. But, I was merely mentioning the fact that as the 170/190 get more numerous in the fleets of regional airlines, that the nagging bugs that are inherent in any new type will get worked out and the aircraft will become the new standard for regional airlines, much like the 50 seat RJ is now.

Thank you. But, I was merely mentioning the fact that as the 170/190 get more numerous in the fleets of regional airlines, that the nagging bugs that are inherent in any new type will get worked out and the aircraft will become the new standard for regional airlines, much like the 50 seat RJ is now.

...aaaand that was the problem...

This is not a door seal. I have heard poor door sealing this ia a low groan like a deep viration in the fuselage.

It is the flap on top of the door not the seal. The door flap comes from the factory too long and vibrates against the fuselage. The maintenance solution is to cut the flap shorter.

Latest resources

Back