Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EJA/Hawker Midair w/ Glider....Everyone OK - Merged!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
?

GoingHot said:
Glider drivers, when above 18,000, are you required to be on an IFR flight plan? Also, do you use flight following?

Reportedly they met at 16000. EJA.

None Seriously Hurt in Hawker-[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Sailplane[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial] Midair[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
CarsonCity.jpg
Remarkably, the two pilots and three passengers on a NetJets Hawker 800XP (N879QS) and the pilot of a Schleicher sailplane escaped serious injury when the two aircraft collided at about 16,000 feet yesterday afternoon near Carson City, Nev. The pilot of the glider bailed out and landed safely, while the jet made a gear-up landing at Carson City Airport. A photo of the Hawker on the runway after the landing shows damage to the nose, including a missing nose cone and imbeded parts of the glider. According to NetJets, the captain of the jet was treated for minor injuries. The company also said the collision caused damage to the underside of the jet, as well as to the nose. The accident happened while the Hawker was descending to land at Reno-Tahoe Airport, Nev., about an hour after taking off from Palomar Airport in Carlsbad, Calif. Weather in the area at the time of the accident was reported as 10 miles visibility and a few clouds at 10,000 feet.
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The NTSB is investigating[/FONT]

C680 said:
Reportedly they met at 16000. EJA.

Yes, I know they met at 16k. I was just wondering about glider flights in IFR territory, and if they check in with approach/center to let them know what they're doing. After a very close call some years ago, I always check in with ATC, no matter how busy they are. That incident was with a glider, and I was in an AH-1. Another 50 feet and it would have been ugly.

Just last week, ATC may have saved me from a mid air with a crop duster. It was 3 miles in haze and they had no altitude readout on him. He poped out of the haze right in front of me.

If you have to crash, do it in a Hawker or a Gulfstream. Both are built like tanks.

I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good. Looks like this crew was both. Congratulations to all involved.

GoingHot said:
Glider drivers, when above 18,000, are you required to be on an IFR flight plan? Also, do you use flight following?

I think it's genius that aircraft can fly higher than 10,000 without a transponder.

Let's see: 400KT TAS vs. 60KT TAS.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea...

C

NetJets Hawker takes out glider south of Reno!!

Investigators seek details

Posted: 8/29/2006

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating Monday's collision between a corporate jet and a glider south of Carson City.
No one was seriously injured in the impact at about 16,000 feet between the Hawker XP800 jet and the Schleicher glider. The glider pilot, Akihiro Hirao, address unknown, parachuted to safety in the Pine Nut Mountains, authorities said.
Hawker pilot Annette Saunders, 38, with aircraft controls knocked into her lap from the force of the impact, circled the plane around Washoe Lake and made an emergency landing at the Carson City Airport, landing the aircraft on its belly with no wheels.
Carson Sheriff Kenneth Furlong said the cockpit looked like a hand grenade had detonated in it and praised the crew's efforts in landing the jet. Saunders suffered minor injuries, but the co-pilot and three passengers were not injured.
The jet was leased from NetJets, a company owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire-Hathaway.
NetJets released a statement acknowledging the crash and praising the efforts of the crew to land the jet safely at 3:18 p.m.
"NetJets wishes to praise the quick and professional actions of the pilots of 879QS," the company said in a statement. "The pilots exhibited outstanding airmanship under extraordinary circumstances enabling them to land safely."
The flight originated at McClellan-Palomar Airport in Carlsbad, Calif., north of San Diego and was headed for Reno.

Gutshot is absolutely correct about Hawkers and G's... Got close to 4 yrs. in the 800 series Hawkers and I can tell you that they are indeed flying tanks.

Built like brick $hithouses. They were lucky to be flying one.

Latest resources

Back