• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Effective date for age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flew a trip recently where the Captain told me his best friend, who is a UPS driver, told him the IPA did a study and found that not one of their pilots lived past the age of 66 once they retired.

Any UPS drivers care to comment? Is this true?

FWIW, he was hoping the age would change because his recent divorce just cost him $1,000,000... wrote a check for that amount so that he wouldn't have to pay alimony, give her the house, nor give her his retirement. While he wanted to see the rule change to fix his financial situation, he really didn't WANT to work past 60 and agreed he would probably be dead by 65-70 so what's the point of working until 65.

Hmmm. Three on duty heart attacks at CAL so far this year

This tells me more CAL pilots need to spend more time on the treadmill and be more careful with their diets.

You say 3 on duty heart attacks "so far". You mean there are more coming? How many more in 2007 ? How many did CAL have in 2005 or 2004 or 2003? got those numbers?

This tells me more CAL pilots need to spend more time on the treadmill and be more careful with their diets.

You say 3 on duty heart attacks "so far". You mean there are more coming? How many more in 2007 ? How many did CAL have in 2005 or 2004 or 2003? got those numbers?

I say "so far", because it's only April! Three would be a lot in any twelve month period, of course. I don't know how many more are coming and I don't know how many there have been in the recent past. I know you'd like to have that data because you're secretly amused by awful things befalling non SWA pilots.

Treadmill? More careful diets? So basically you're saying you'll support changes to medical standards? Figures.

As you're so fond of pointing out how unique you are: "Your house" doesn't do any long haul, international, back side of the clock flying so the effects of that are something you think should be ignored!? Further ignore the effects of career churn these CAL pilots suffered 20 years ago?....that couldn't possibly help our profession understand how the last 6 years have affected our fellow pilots?

Nope! You don't care, all is well at "your house".

I say "so far", because it's only April! Three would be a lot in any twelve month period, of course. I don't know how many more are coming and I don't know how many there have been in the recent past. I know you'd like to have that data because you're secretly amused by awful things befalling non SWA pilots.

Treadmill? More careful diets? So basically you're saying you'll support changes to medical standards? Figures.

As you're so fond of pointing out how unique you are: "Your house" doesn't do any long haul, international, back side of the clock flying so the effects of that are something you think should be ignored!? Further ignore the effects of career churn these CAL pilots suffered 20 years ago?....that couldn't possibly help our profession understand how the last 6 years have affected our fellow pilots?

Nope! You don't care, all is well at "your house".

3 pilots is not an epidemic, so relax...BTW...all is well at "my house"...and I'm napp...errrr...I mean, Happy with the state of affairs...here.

3 pilots is not an epidemic, so relax...BTW...all is well at "my house"...and I'm napp...errrr...I mean, Happy with the state of affairs...here.

In any case, 3 is at least noteworthy. When you're talking about raising the retirement age? It's a big deal. If you're concerned about more than just money for yourself.

Maybe it's the CAL FO's they're hiring these days that are causing the CA's to croak... ;)

At TWA, even with Icahn, frozen pensions, 50% paycuts, three-packs-a-day, 6 post-flight martinis and 25 years of international we didn't have three guys croak in the cockpit--the whole time I was there (15 years).

BTW, a 48 year old guy who did 6-8 marathons a year just keeled over after crossing the finish line in the Tucson Marathon last year. Guess we'd better lower the retirement age to 45. :rolleyes: TC

At TWA, even with Icahn, frozen pensions, 50% paycuts, three-packs-a-day, 6 post-flight martinis and 25 years of international we didn't have three guys croak in the cockpit--the whole time I was there (15 years).

Really? You were in charge of monitoring pilot health at TWA? Are you an MD?

A long study was just completed that found airline pilots actually live longer than the rest of society after retirement... as far as being unfair I can't believe I'm hearing this... It's unfair or age discrimination not to change it or it's unfair to go ahead and change it. You new generation and ALPA stooges are beautiful sometimes... You all want your cake and eat it too!

It's a good rule... sure I would love double the wages and a 60hr guarantee but that's not life. I would like the option to work to 65, although I plan on retiring much sooner. If I am healthy why should I be told I can't work? 65 is working all over the world. Right now as I write this there are multiple 60+ pilots flying all over the USA. Whether it's a foreign airline pilot or a corporate guy or fractional guy or private pilot. But the amazing thing about it is that I'm not reading about airplanes falling out of the sky! But ALPA and you generation me type's would have us believing otherwise. Stop crying about it, it's coming. And if you think Alpa can stop it, then keep spending that 1.95% and continue to hit that hookah pipe.

Tailhookah

Latest resources

Back