Effective date for age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bally

I hope it takes a long time for the age 60 rule to change since it will put off my upgrade. Does anyone know when the change is schedudled to take place. What is going on in the governemnt and what needs to happen before the change takes place?

Excuse me, but when exactly was your upgrade scheduled for? You never know in this business, and remember the people junior to you are hoping that age 65 doesn't take effect until the day after you turn 60.

Airfogey

I hope it takes a long time for the age 60 rule to change since it will put off my upgrade. Does anyone know when the change is schedudled to take place. What is going on in the governemnt and what needs to happen before the change takes place?

We're probably looking at a minimum of 1.5-2 years before this ridiculous change takes place. Probably longer. The FAA won't issue the rule until congress provides protection from litigation, and the congress won't pass any legislation because they don't want to get involved in what they consider to be an FAA regulatory issue. Until that gets resolved, don't expect any action.

I understand that people jr to me want the rule change to be delayed until they turn 59.5. Lets be real. How many want it to change now because it is unfair. Of coarse the rule is unfair. But given the fact that I have no vested interest in the other guy, I want it to change when it is most advantageous to me which means ideally it will change when I am 59 and 364 days old.

But given the fact that I have no vested interest in the other guy,

Is this ALPA's new motto, replacing the specious "Schedule With Safety"?

It's a pretty versatile comment. It works for justifying Pay For Training, RJ Proliferation, Contract Giveaways, Elimination of Retiree medical benefits, and Staple Jobs, just to name a few of the things that have brought this former profession to where it is today.

Last edited:
I understand that people jr to me want the rule change to be delayed until they turn 59.5. Lets be real. How many want it to change now because it is unfair. Of coarse the rule is unfair. But given the fact that I have no vested interest in the other guy, I want it to change when it is most advantageous to me which means ideally it will change when I am 59 and 364 days old.

And I hope you find the rule change is indeed coarse, of course.

"I have no vested interest in the other guy" Wow, what a conceited statement there junior. So, please excuse the other guy for feeling the same way about your eagerly anticipated upgrade. Yawn.

It's going to happen here because it has already happened at ICAO. Cry all you want, you will get to wait five more years until you get to the top of the list and have your junior guys eagerly waiting for your retirement (if you don't medical out, lose your job or just quit). Of course, you will then be screaming for age 70. How coarse!

just because it happened in icao doesn't mean it should happen here in the usa.
Since when does America follow other countries laws? when does the UN set America's law's? did i miss something? I don't see other countries opening their aviation jobs for american's like the US accepts all these foreigners flying in the US. shouldn't they follow us and allow americans to fly for Air france, BA or lufthanza and alot of other airlines currently only allowing only thier nationals to get jobs> my point is so what if icao has the 65yr limit that has no bearing on what US law should be.

Well bendover, it's not "other countries laws", it's an international agreement between many countries. Sorta like coordinating "N" numbers, safety standards, aircraft certification standards, operating rules. Many industries do this, not just aviation, and many governments rubber stamp these industry standards into their own laws.

I certainly agree with you on the issue of allowing foreign pilots to work within the USA. That is not a fair playing field at all. I cannot get employment in Europe or Australia but have flown with many of their pilots over here. They are nice guys, but the fact remains they are here competing with me for work in my country, while I cannot go there and compete for work.

Back to ICAO: If you fly internationally, you certainly want to know the landing minimums and TERPS criteria are safe. You certainly want to know the fuel you buy in Asia will work in your plane, right? When member states agree to abide by international standards, they abide by international standards. Take comfort in the fact that we in the US have written many of these standards, but not all of the international standards.

What I am saying is certification and safety standards are set internationally. Right to work laws unfortunately are not.

Think globally...

Last edited:
Bendover & Ralph, you mean to say that foreigners can come & work here without a work permit or a green card? Sorry to deviate from the original thread, am a bit confused...

No, they need legal permission to work in the US. I am saying this permission is much easier for a foreigner to obtain here in the US than it is for a US citizen to obtain in some foreign countries.

Case in point: Years ago I used to work in the Cayman Islands, as a pilot, for a company with US FAA certification and CI certification. I was a DC-3 Captain and am a US citizen. A Cayman citizen applied for my job. The net result was I could not fly in the CI and had to restrict my work to the US certificate AND stay out of the CI. He was allowed to work under both certificates and could fly into and around the US unrestricted. I agree that he had superior rights in the CI due to citizenship, but why did he have unrestricted US rights WITHOUT citizenship?

The original poster was asking about age 65. I gave a case for following ICAO practices, as on the whole this is a good thing. My comment to the next poster was ICAO practices do not include right to work laws.

Does that help? I admit that sometimes my writing is not as clear as I would like it.

BTW, the DC-3 work was the best flying ever!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back