E-195 Never in the Regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
surplus1 said:
They have no sacred right to the EMB170/190 merely because they work for a legacy carrier. They want it becasue it is to their advantage. Well, I want it for the same reason. None of them are worrying about what is best for me; in fact the exact opposite is true. Why then should I be obligated to worry about what is best for them at my own expense? That's just not logical.

That's like telling me that an AirTran pilot should wish that his airline should not fly the 737-800 because it might affect a Delta pilots' wishes to fly more 737-800s at Delta. Instead, the AirTran pilot should want his company to use only the B-717 in hopes that he may get a better job at Delta some time in the future. That's ludicrous.

No, your logic is ludicrous. An AirTran pilot isn't flying under contract to Delta so it doesn't matter if AirTran flies more -800s. Apples and oranges, AT doesn't codeshare with DL, so who cares how many -800s AT might have? Your example is ridiculous.

surplus1 said:
Once the bigger equipment comes on line, and it will, the "regional" job, at a big regional, will be just as good as AirTran or JetBlue.

Yep, and more mainline pilots are furloughed so your big regional can grow with bigger jets. Happy now?

surplus1 said:
One thing is certain, there is no legacy pilot group with any interest in protecting the jobs at any regional pilot group. If they have the chance to take those jobs, they will and it will not include embracing the affected regional "brothers". That legacy dude is protecting his own interests and will continue to do so, as he always has. The regional pilot needs to protect his own interests in the very same way.

Christ, you're delusional. The regionals need protection from mainline? What are you smoking? You do realize that the small jet providers keep growing while mainlines are stagnant or shrinking don't you?

surplus1 said:
ALPA still has some advantages, but regional pilots need to understand that ALPA's primary interest is the protection of the jobs of the legacy pilots, whether or not that comes at the expense of the regional pilots' job.

Man, you just keep playing the same old tune... see my comment above.

You RJDC guys are clueless and greedy. The small jet providers don't need protection from the legacy pilots, it's the other way around! What's so hard to understand about that? When was the last time mainline took any flying away from the regional codeshare partners? Umm, never??? And you do realize (don't you?) that as more big CRJs and EMBs show up, 737-200s and DC-9s will be parked. So how is that fair to the mainline guys?

If you guys want bigger jets, hire on at a legacy. Get out from under the DL code share and go it alone. Go start your own airline and fly lots of big jets. Otherwise, quit whining and sniveling about "the man" holding you back.

FreightNazi said:
But what if the newhire is former military? You don't expect him to start in a turboprop do you? Maybe the civilians could start in the turboprop and the military guys start in the 737/A-320 size jet. That sounds more fair. Otherwise, you are not going to be able to attract the military pilots as most will not want to start out flying a turboprop.

You're kidding, right?

FreightNazi said:
But what if the newhire is former military? You don't expect him to start in a turboprop do you? Maybe the civilians could start in the turboprop and the military guys start in the 737/A-320 size jet. That sounds more fair. Otherwise, you are not going to be able to attract the military pilots as most will not want to start out flying a turboprop.

You know, there are military pilots who arn't the best pilots in the world, right?

Tram said:
You know, there are military pilots who arn't the best pilots in the world, right?

I wasn't saying anything about ones ability. I was referring to a strictly recruiting standpoint. All things being equal an airline that starts out in turboprops would have a harder time recruiting military pilots vs. an airline that would start him out in a 737/A-320 size jet.

Of course, we wouldn't want to pick pilots based on ABILITY now would we? :)

Let me ask you this.. Who would you rather have in the airplane with you during an engine failure during liftoff in a conventional twin.. Some guy with 500+ hours of twin time or an F-16 pilot?

AWA Alpa just approved a Transition Agreement with management that, from what we're hearing, will keep all 190's with US Airways paint for mainline.

Axel said:
If there had never been a market for separate "regionals" none of this would be happening.

"When you point your finger 'cause your plans fell through, there'll be three more fingers pointing back at you."

--Dire Straits

Dire Straits rules.

FreightNazi said:
You say that like it's a problem.

In another thread, someone was ridiculing an ERAU grad with SJS for walking out of a Mesaba groundschool because he had been assigned the Saab. Rightfully, his behavior was ridiculed. Why is it that you seem to condone, even encourage "SJS" behavior in military pilots?

As far as I'm concerned, if someone thinks so highly of themselves that they are unwilling to fly a turboprop, I don't want them in my cockpit, or my airline.

Good riddance.

LAXSaabdude.

Latest resources

Back